1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

A Weekend Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Punter, Oct 7, 2011.

1. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

There are some weird fuckers about
  2. Punter

Punter Moderator

Fair play, i'd of lost my rag with him. Cheeky fucker.
  3. Punter

Punter Moderator

New Job start, Monday.
    I was going to have a bit of time off but one came up from an agency that suits.
    Only a three month contract till xmas but decent dollar and DAYS! 8 till 4.
    slick, rcgills, Kegman and 1 other person like this.
  4. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

good stuff
    Punter likes this.
  5. slick

slick Administrator

Good luck Punt:thumb
    Punter likes this.
  6. Punter

Punter Moderator

Anybody know much about Agency work? Only i'm seeing it more in companies these days. My old firm no longer look at application forms.They just get sent the staff and choose from them.

Companies must be paying loads for Agency staff, based on knowing what they're paying me, an unskilled worker. Must be massive tax relief for companies working this way. I guess it's for the unemployment figures at the end of the day.

I'm not sure of the pitfalls of it all but for starters this is only temporary work and think this is the main thing to remember.

One thing that i do have on my mind is i'm pretty sure i'm going into a department tomorrow, where i'll be trained by people who know the job inside out, but who will be on a less hourly rate than me! And that can't be right.

I'll see how it all turns out.
  7. winrew

winrew GILF

We are restructuring in 2019 , we had a few vacancies which have now been filled with agency workers because the company doesn't want to cough up redundancy payments. They are on the same money as us but take home more because they have no pension to pay.
    ADDECO is the agency we have used , we still interviewed folk mind . They have a six month contract which will probably be extended a further six months.
    Not a fan of using agency workers but i can see why our company has , it makes sound financial sense to the business, checked with the outside officials and we couldn't really stop the process. I have always believed that if we take anyone on it should be permanently.
    It doesn't sit comfortably with me that we can just get shot of them so easily.
  8. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Yeah Winrew has mentioned one reason why, although they seem more way morr expensive on the face if it , they’re actually cheaper. I worked in a project team and often in the projects i did it came down to costing various options for staffing.

If a full time worker goes off sick, you have to pay them to be off sick and also the cost of covering his work (which may involve overtime at increased rates or ending up paying for agency cover anyway). So you’re paying at least twice the miney for the same work. If u have agency staff from the start, you ring up the agency and get a replacement at no extra cost.

Same applies to holiday cover. Plus if u get someone who turns out to be an idle bastard you can get the agency to send someone else instead. No warnings pricess, no fucking about wasting time with the union rep’ arguing his case- gone and replaced.

Winrew has mentioned pensions (and there is National Insurance as well) but there are also associated admin costs for every employee (Payroll costs, administration for leave, sickness, counselling and other occupational health support) etc etc

With agency staff you just have to pay an invoice and that invoice includes paying for them to get paid etc etc.

You also have the luxury of being able to change staffing numbers at short notice upwards or downwards depending upon the workload you have at any time.

Morally it might stick in the craw but most businesses don’t exist for the purpose of making the world a better place do they?
  9. Seen

Seen Moderator

ODM sums it up perfectly for me, it's all down to making money which might sound harsh but it's the reality. And if we were running a business ourselves would we really sacrifice all those advantages for a drop in profits?
  10. Punter

Punter Moderator

Cheers fellas. Not a bad first couple of days.

Talking to a few of the others there, they were agency staff for 9-12 months. I'll probably get laid off a couple of times before i get a contract. I'm not too bothered, i'll pick up on other work if need be.
    Colbro, Kegman and slick like this.
  11. Kegman

Kegman Moderator

It's happening all over the shop.

Glad you've settled in Punter.
    Punter likes this.
  12. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

The world has moved on - Punter knew what he was doing when he left his last job - he knows exactly the situation he is in and he is playing it to his advantage

Also businesses DO exist to make the world a better place. Most businesses will only survive if it makes some peoples lives slightly better in some way.

Think about it - when you receive your hard earned at the end of the Week/Month what do you do with it Go to the bookies for a bet.. go the pub for a pint .. go to the cinema to see a film,, go to a restaurant for a meal .. buy a book etc etc

Businesses provide goods or services to make your life more enjoyable - they would not exist if they didn't

They also provide thousands and thousands of jobs for people which provide tax revenue for public services

A pretty good return I think
    Punter likes this.
  13. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

There's a difference though between making people's lives more enjoyable and making the world a better place. There's a McDonalds just up the road from me. I've no doubt it does make some people's lives more enjoyable (including my kids). It also brings crowds of boy racers on Friday and Saturday nights, a load of noise for the more immediate neighbours, and leaves the streets for a couple of hundred metres in all directions looking like a pig sty

So it might make people's lives more enjoyable, but does it make the world a better place? I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep if it shut down, let's put it that way.
    slick likes this.
  14. slick

slick Administrator

Off out to a 50th wedding anniversary tonight:help
    The buffet is pie and peas which I suppose covers over the cracks lol, plus there's a disco apparently which makes me wonder what sort of fcuking music it'll be for a 50th wedding anniversary, I have a feeling Neil Diamond is gonna make a comeback tonight.
  15. Kegman

Kegman Moderator

Few beers down you and you'll be s8nging away fine. Like a bit of Neil Diamond now and again.

On call for next 2 weeks with the exception of next Saturday night as it's my eldests 18th birthday meal. She didn't want a big party so ends up about 30 friends and family are going out for a meal and a wee swally.
  16. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Rubbish. Most businesses would sell shit sandwiches outside school gates if they could make a profit and get away with it. Banks are businesses. Not one of them exists with the intention of making anything better for anyone but the people who make money from them. They exist to bleed dry as many people as they can sometimes knowing that they are putting people into a lifetime of misery.
  17. slick

slick Administrator

Moans struck lucky today for once as she's the most unluckiest bastard you'll ever meet, she renewed her car insurance and joined the AA for £15 quid as she's never had it because she rarely travels far from home and has muggins here to get her out of the shite if anything goes wrong but for 15 notes she couldn't refuse.
    An hour after renewing she drives the lads girlfriend for an Hospital appointment about 15 miles away and breaks down lol, water pissing out everywhere.

Usually I'd have to go out fearing the worst (head gasket etc) and tow her back, book a day off work to sort it out or take it to a garage but no, the Nice fella from the AA arrived, temporarily fixed the problem (bust pipe on the thermostat housing), at least I know what it is now lol, and followed her home in case she had anymore problems.

Best £15 quid she's ever spent.
    Punter likes this.
  18. Punter

Punter Moderator

New jobs going well. Was enjoying it but third week in and i've been hit with either Gastritus or Pancreatitis, blood results pending. Was taken to hospital two nights ago, big improvement since but that's down to a bucket load of tablets.
    Too many takeaways and binge drinking has caught up with me. So that's me off the piss for Christmas :frown
    I've just had to bosh two happy pills and anti nausea tabs into me now.

Talking of health, anybody see John McCririck on This Morning, last week?
    Kinda sad to see him like this, i thought....

https://www.facebook.com/ThisMorning/videos/752218115124766/