1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

A Weekend Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Punter, Oct 7, 2011.

1. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

2. Punter

Punter Moderator

That Sunday night feeling when you've just had 9 glorious, FUCKING GLORIOUS days off and now you know it's over and back to it in the morning :puke

Not that i work with a decent bunch lads and a half decent company too, but I can't wait to retire. I guess most of us on here have got 40 yrs work life behind us already now and must be feeling the same? Or do you want to keep going past retirement? Some folk do. Scared of stop and drop.

Siesta's are thing aren't they, i loved a couple of those this week.

Ate out today, large carvery followed by large dessert, i was an absolute pig and i suffered for it. Every bump on the way home killed. I was out like a light in the armchair when we got back, much more a food coma than a siesta, i couldn't move. I wont ever be eating like that again.

I've loved being off though. Took life at my pace while still getting jobs done. Didn't even fall out with the mrs. I think we shouted "PRICCKK" at each other twice and that was about it.

My brother is over from Sweden at the end of the month so i've booked his 50th birthday week off too, so only another 3 weeks and i'm off again, we haven't seen him for over 3 yrs. I expect hangovers will be more of a thing that week. Anybody else got an idiot abroad?
    SAMOAN and slick like this.
  3. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Only RC.

I can easily answer your question about retirement because I've fucking done and have absolutely no intention (excluding the possibility of Putin making my assets worth fuck all with his antics) of ever doing a stroke of work again in whatever may be left of my life. I may have mentioned on here before that I went to a get-together of some old colleagues about five or six years ago and despite them all being ex management (some senior managers) and having pensions ONLY ONE of them out of about 20 hadn't gone back to working at some stage. It definitely wasn't for the money and one of them was just pushing trolleys around Tesco (he's not the kind of bloke to be laughing inside at the folk who looked down on him and thought he was a loser while he dragged his 60 grand pension a year but nobody could have blamed him if he did).

I caught up with some of them again recently and some have eventually packed in but it really amazed me because I had always considered that the only reason people worked was to get cash (whether they need it to live or just want a bit of extra to do stuff they like to do). I've since found that that's not the case and many of them do it for the structure and having a routine to follow, and many more do it for the company (no pun intended). That's been brought even sharper into focus post-covid but, whereas I love my own company and could spend every day on my own, to a lot of people, that would be a nightmare - and I don't mean spending every day with me you bastards, I mean spending every day on their own lol. There are also those, whether they admit it or not, who just can't bear the thought of spending every day with the missis (and I'm sure the feelings are mutual). I don't want to stereotype but i am of a generation where many women still did stay at home or work part time and I always think it can't be easy when you've had your own routine for decades and suddenly you've got to put up with some fucker like Winrew under your feet ever day for the rest of your life :lol

Anyway, glad to hear you enjoyed your time off mate and that you've got something else to look forward to soon. To me, having something to look forward to (and sometimes they can be little pleasures and don't have to be a two week holiday abroad) is the key to a decent state of mental health I've always thought. That and to do as little of the things that you don't want to and as much of the things that you want to as you possibly can:thumb
    Punter and slick like this.
  4. winrew

winrew GILF

Cheers ODM :lol.

I could retire in two years, not sure what to do.
    I'm only at work 16 days in a 4 week period.
    Think the wife would prefer me to carry on:unsure

Not gave it much thought , although I do keep a close eye on my pensions.
  5. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

6. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Good idea to keep an eye on the pensions mate. What I always tell people is, there is never a good time to retire if you're obsessed with the pile of money you're sitting on getting higher and higher and the more you're earning, the more difficult it is to make the decision to turn the tap off. Then you end up dying a rich man (or the local council take it off you for nursing home fees) but you can never buy back the time you've missed by continuing to work.

To me, it's a simple equation. If you retire next week and have "x" amount coming in from occupational pensions or private pensions or state pension per month, then the difference between that figure and the money you earn every month from work is the figure that you're actually working for. I'm not explaining that very well so I'll just chuck some figures up. If someone is earning 40k per year but their pensions would bring you 30k per year in then, if you can live on 30k per year, you should seriously consider packing in work because you're actually doing 40 hours per week or whatever for 10 grand a year. You're basically working for less than minimum wage,

Obviously a lot of people don't have large occupational or private pensions and have to hang on for the state pension date but, even so, if you can live on working four days instead of five, think about doing something for yourself with that extra day. Even better if you could work four days in summer and five in winter when fuck all is happening. I understand that all employers and not that flexible but I know a lot of people in different occupations who have asked and have got more flexible shifts.

You're a long time dead and we all know people who have worked a lifetime and retired and not been around a year later.
    Kegman and Punter like this.
  7. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Oh, and on the other hand, it depends very much on the type of person you are. I imagine that Punter very much enjoys the craic at work and you need to think about how much you'd miss that if you packed in altogether whereas if you could eventually go part time, you'd have the best of both worlds
    Punter likes this.
  8. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

:rant

:lol
    Punter likes this.
  9. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

10. slick

slick Administrator

After the shit I've been through this last 12 months I'd retire tomorrow given the chance.
    I've still got an outstanding mortgage so as soon as my Lump sum equals that I'm off unless I get offered redundancy in the meantime .

Either way I'm hoping to hang my gloves up within the next five yrs if I'm still about.

Talking of which I've got Covid for the second time this week and touch wood it's not a patch on what happened initially.
    I've had 3 days of feeling like I've done 12 rounds with Tyson and having a head like a blocked loo.

If anything it's done me a favour and I can now clear my chest which I haven't been able to do since last August as my phlegm has been like tar since the first bout of Covid and subsequent long Covid.
    Also I've noticed my taste beginning to return , more importantly and I'm hoping this really is the case, my blood pressure has dropped in the last couple of days.

It's like this new bout of Covid has triggered something that wasn't finished the first time around.
    Oh, I forgot to mention my breathing also seems to be improving.

I pray that's the case because It's just suffering in silence at the moment as everything looks ok from the outside looking in and it's hard to explain to those who haven't been through it.

If catching Covid for a second time can kick this cunt into touch then it's a small price to pay.
    Punter likes this.
  11. Punter

Punter Moderator

Hope you finally get rid of it Slick, sounds shit, especially over the length of time you've had it.

Yeah i do enjoy the craic at work but i still want to retire. I've got a job that ticks most of the boxes. Money isn't a high priority anymore, kids are almost taking care of themselves these days. It's 8 till 4, but with flexi hours, so i can sometimes get away early on Friday. It's busy but nothing heavy. And best of all, no wankers. A good bunch of blokes.

But i'd still retire tomorrow if i could get 70% of what i'm getting now. I've seen way to many people my age die already this year. I can't believe the amount of blokes that are dropping in their 50's.

I probably wont be able to get out until i'm 63/64 and even then i would probably have to live off lentils and berries till i got my state pension. I upped my pension payments last year and started paying into the company share scheme. Every 5 shares i buy i get given a free one, i'll keep an eye on how they go, but 63/64 is the target to get out, should i get there.
    slick likes this.
  12. slick

slick Administrator

Wasn't so bad this time around, went back in work on Monday as I've had enough time off over the last 12 months and don't feel too bad for it.
    I'm pretty much the same Punt I'd be happy with 70% of what I'm on now until I reach state pension age.
    My best case scenario to do that woud be getting made redundant and using my pension and redundancy lump sum to pay off my mortgage which would save me around £450 a month, that saving along with my current pension would probably get me into that 70% bracket or thereabouts even now. but most definitely at 60+
    Punter likes this.
  13. Punter

Punter Moderator

The mortgage is the bastard isn't it. We got our mortgage paid off by stroke of bad luck, good luck and fate about 10 years ago. A shame we were only buying half the house. We couldn't afford a big mortgage at the time and opted for shared ownership so we will forever be paying rent on the other half.
    slick likes this.
  14. slick

slick Administrator

The mortgage is a bastard Punt but essential if like us you've worked all your life otherwise all the pension we've accumulated privately would go to paying the rent.
    Whereas don't work and sponge all your life and the rent and everything else is paid for.
    Punter likes this.
  15. slick

slick Administrator

Been off this week and off next week too, which looking at the weather reports looks like a wise decision.
    I had planned to get a few outside jobs done last week but the neighbours unbeknown to me had also decided to get a new garden wall built and patio layed, we have a shared drive and the shit and dust has been unbelievable. plus not being able to park in my own drive.

Its been the warmest week of the year and I've had to have the windows shut, I've always been nice to the new neighbours and I think they are confusing kindness with weakness like a lot of pricks do, they are going to get a real eye opener very soon believe me.

If it wasn't for being on Beta Blockers I'd have kicked off way before now, Thats also causing a bit of conflict between me and Moans because she knows what I'm usually like and doesn't like the idea of the neighbours taking the piss while I'm so chilled cause of the beta blockers, I'm going to have to do something though cause for once Moans is right.
    Punter likes this.
  16. winrew

winrew GILF

Off for eleven days from yesterday :beer.
    Sod all planned apart from a few wanders in the lake's.
    Staying near cold fresh water for the dogs sake.
    Punter likes this.
  17. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

At Chepstow for the weekend. Didn’t know it but the town has a festival on all day from about 9 to 9 so everywhere has been busy. With that and the weather we couldn’t have picked a better day
    slick and Punter like this.
  18. Punter

Punter Moderator

My brother has been over from Sweden so i've been on the piss with him a fair bit this week.
    I haven't seen him for 3 yrs so booked the week off.
    I'm just entering day 9 of 9 and in about 16 hrs time the reality of it being over is going to kick in. I've loved every second of it.

Had a few beers with him down at the Wetherspoons table on Monday...

1.PNG

That was just half of it. I haven't done a Monday like that for a decade.
    The Wetherspoons table is at the bottom of my garden.. in Komps Corner. I call it the Wetherspoons table because it couldn't be any further from the fucking toilet.
    It's a fucker once you've broke the seal. I need to get one sorted downstairs.

Komps corner is starting to come on a bit now. Since i gave up gambling i've got in to growing roses. I have no idea wear the fuck that came from but i'm just into it. Gay yeah?
    I've got about 25 and i'm about to order another 25.

Here's my Malvern Rambling rose at Komps Corner. 2ft when i bought it this time last year..

2.PNG

Good eh!

I'm sure Komp would say something like "What the fuck's all this puffery about Punt"?
    But i've had a few good nights down there this summer and have raised a glass to him and Mickey.

I'll be glad when my brother goes back to Sweden (Monday). I'm fully cooked now.
    slick likes this.
  19. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Lovely mate.

Wetherspoons :lol
    Punter likes this.
  20. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

:lol
    Punter and slick like this.