1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

BBC Sports Personality Of The Year 2012

Discussion in 'Special & Novelty Betting' started by Punter, Dec 23, 2011.

1. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Fascinating shit:wasnme

Bloke riding a bike. Wow. Where's the Yawney smiley?
  2. Punter

Punter Moderator

I think i'm going to need Wiggins to have a sex change to stand any chance of me winning here now
  3. slick

slick Administrator

Well he's still bobbing along nicely, with the worst of the mountains out of the way with and barring any calamities It looks like Wiggins has the TDF sewn up, even more so with his closest rival Chris Froome under strict orders to support him.
    If Wiggins follows that up with an Olympic gold then the SPotY will be nailed on.
  4. slick

slick Administrator

Did I say the worst of the mountains were out of the way with:wasnme
    Fcuk me they're climbing some big buggers at the moment and Wiggins is doing fantastically well to keep up with the big boys as we're at a time in the race when they are going to try and break him.
    In fact it looks like Wiggins has broken last years winner Cadel.
  5. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Still going on then is it?:lookaround
  6. slick

slick Administrator

Aye just another 7 months to go ODM, they're up and down Kilamanjaro next week before heading onto Everest.
  7. Kegman

Kegman Moderator

He's going to piss it (tdf) that is but wether its good enuff for SPOTY
  8. slick

slick Administrator

I reckon it will be Keggers and like I said even more so if he nabs an Olympic gold allthough I'm pretty sure I've heard he'll be supporting Cavendish in the road race, even so i think his TDF achievement will nab SPOTY.
    That is unless the Olympics throw up a romantic and emotional unexpected gold medal for a rank outside British competitor, and as such won't even be in the SPOTY betting at the moment.
  9. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Any Paralympians in the betting Kegs? I would look myself but I don't recognise most people on the list so I wouldn't know if they were or not. Before last week I thought Bradley Wiggins was a copper from the Simpsons
  10. slick

slick Administrator

Well Bradders winning Olympic gold should now put this to bed.
    Even if a British one legged no armed black lesbian who's family was wiped out by a bush fire wins a pole vault para olympic gold I can't see it effecting the final outcome of SPOTY.
  11. Punter

Punter Moderator

Best odds

Wiggins 2/5
    Ennis 5/2
    Farah 10/1

Wiggo deserves it, I dont think Ennis can save me, it's going to be close though, everyone fell in love with Ennis tonight.
  12. slick

slick Administrator

I think that will soon be forgot about Punt, I reckon Mo farah would have a better chance than her.
    The thing with Wiggins is that he has left a Legacy after wining the TDF and Gold medal to boot, even I now wear Bushy sids.
  13. slick

slick Administrator

Has anybody ever won SPOTY twice? or are they allowed to win it twice as Chris Hoy after yesterdays performance and now Britains top medal winner must surely be back in the mix.
    I'd still back Wiggins mind.
  14. Punter

Punter Moderator

A great achievement from Hoy but still Wiggins for me Slick. Even at 4/9 on he looks value. I'm out of pocket with it this year though.
  15. slick

slick Administrator

I agree but I'm hoping with other great achievements from other sporty folk it might push his price out a bit more.
  16. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

Mansell and Damon Hill both won it twice I think, Slick
  17. slick

slick Administrator

Cheers RC, in that case Hoy should then be amongst the favourites which after just checking he's still slightly out at 20/1, Murray @ 9/1 too I see. I'd have thought those odds would be a lot closer.
    Any bookies doing head to heads?
  18. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

Reckon if Murray won the US Open (not out of the question, I think it's his best Grand Slam, isn't it?) then he'd be in with a shot.
  19. slick

slick Administrator

Good shout Sir and considering Federer and Djokovic at the moment look way off their game it could be a strong possibility.
  20. stereoman

stereoman Member

The 'big six' (Ainslie, Ennis, Farah, Hoy, Murray and Wiggins) are assured their places but although Bradley Wiggins is in the driving seat, there are some compelling reasons why each of them can prevail. All someone needs is around 150k votes but this could be a record year in the number of votes recorded.

My 'hype list' of likeliest to win:

1. Bradley Wiggins
    2. Mo Farah
    3. Jessica Ennis
    4. Chris Hoy
    5. Ben Ainslie
    6. Andy Murray

The big danger is Sky will want their man Bradley Wiggins to win a BBC award, and will get all their employees to vote accordingly which wouldn't be impossible but 'morally dubious' but all's fair in love and war and the BBC will be laughing at the revenue they're getting from this to be too precious about SPotY though.

The BBC appear to be pimping Jessica Ennis as their preferred candidate but Mo Farah is probably their back-up plan.

There are a whole bunch of double gold medal winners to consider but I think Laura Trott and Jason Kenny are out as there are already two cyclists. Victoria Pendleton also looks likely to miss out.

Lewis Hamilton could sneak a place if he somehow wins the F1 World Championship. Rory McIlroy may get in if he can win the USPGA Championship. Carl Froch is Britain's only world boxing champion at the moment but Olympic boxers may get a look in ahead of him.

...and there's the Paralympics which may find itself unfortunately 'shut out' of anybody to represent them. If it was on the BBC, I'm sure they'd accommodate a nomination but it's on Channel 4 so they'll have an excuse.

Who are the four that could fill the remaining places?

* Charlotte Dujardin - As Zara Phillips' win back in 2006 showed, equestrianism does have a fanbase and it was evident with the crowds they were getting in London as well. In a flood of double gold medals, being in a different sport superficially might make the difference.

* Nicola Adams - She's female and she's from an ethnic minority, and she's also the first female to win a boxing gold medal. She's ahead of Luke Campbell even with his emotional win over John Joe Nevin, and also Freddie Evans and Anthony Joshua.

* Katharine Grainger - She's finally won the gold medal. Rowing might get a representative and she may be the one but if it isn't her...

* Ed McKeever - ...it could be this guy. The negative is that he's in a fairly minority sport (CANOEING!!) and that there are plenty of other double gold medal winners about.

* Greg Rutherford - He's the 'emergency nominee'. Sure, he's won a gold medal but most of the others will have won at least one and have something to back it up with. His gimmick will be that he's the only one to have won anything on the field.

The odds as they are right now after Mo Farah's 5000 metres win:

[​IMG]