1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Betnod Curry club (swoops look away now)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by slick, Jan 23, 2012.

1. slick

slick Administrator

heat-icon.gif Well I must say lads I'm becoming a dab hand at making BIR (British Indian Restaurant) style currys.
    On Saturday night I made a Chicken Tikka Masala that was on par with anything I have ever bought in a restaurant or take away and My Madras is not quite as good (yet) as the ones I was used to in Salford but pissses on anything I've ever bought here in Bury.

I'm off out in a wee while for an hr or two but will post up all my tips, tricks, recipes and links in due course.

Most of the information can be found on this curry forum which I think Seen has posted in the past..
    http://cr0.co.uk/curry/index.php

That will teach you all the basics and give you some good recipes to get started but theres a minefield of information you have to sift through before you start producing decent currys, what I'll do is give you all the information that I found is a necessity to get going plus all the basics I've learnt myself from a lot of trial and error over many years.
  2. Punter

Punter Moderator

Who does the washing up :unsure
  3. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

That's fucking great Slick.

Can't wait to have a go. The only thing that puts me off is the thought of spending time and money building up a range of spices and stuff when I can just pick up a phone and order one.

I do love a good un though
  4. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

By the way, I was sitting reading one of the trade mags whilst I was sitting waiting to pick a curry up and there was an interesting story in there about the Patak family (you know, the ones with the jars of curry sauces etc). Apparently they originally from Kenya and built up the business from scratch before selling it to Associated British Foods for over 100 million quid. (Despite the current adverts that make it look like it's still a family business - load of bollocks)

One of the couple died a few years ago and the other died last year. The official tax form listing their assets to be taxed on amounted to a total of £35,000 or something.

Where's the rest gone?
  5. slick

slick Administrator

No idea but I bet their kids do lol.

Before Pataks we used to have Nazirs curry sauces around these parts but they just disappeared years ago, they used to be lovely but like all tinned or supermarket currys they're not a patch on the restaurant curry's.
  6. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

What's lesson 1 Slick? How to prepare a good base?
  7. slick

slick Administrator

Good question as you do end up with a lot of used pots and pans but it's worth the end product.
  8. slick

slick Administrator

I'll start with how to use the tin opener as I imagine a lot of folk on Betnod have never seen one.

Suppose I could start with the base sauce, I've tried plenty but have now stuck with one that is packed with flavour and can be diluted to anybodys taste.

Like i said I have to nip out now for an hr or so, I'll post up the spices and ingredients needed when i get back then explain the base.
  9. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

I suppose you get access to all sort of exotic shops living near a city like Manchester but don't forget that some of us don't.

Can everything we need be bought from one of the big supermarkets or not?
  10. kompressaur

kompressaur spam removed by komp

Did you know.......

http://onlinebanter.com/olb-chat/did-you-know
  11. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Or not

Origins

One explanation of the origins of the dish is that it was conceived in an Indian restaurant.[1][2] Rahul Verma, an Indian expert on street food from Delhi, has stated that the dish originated, probably by accident with subsequent improvisations, in Punjab during the last 50 years.[5]
    There are also claims that a Pakistani chef Ali Ahmed Aslam, proprietor of the Shish Mahal restaurant in Park Road in the west end of the city in Glasgowinvented it by improvising a sauce made from yogurt, cream and spices.[6][7] In July 2009 Pakistani-born British MP Mohammad Sarwar tabled an Early Day Motion in the House of Commons asking that Parliament support a campaign for Glasgow to be given European Union Protected Designation of Origin status for chicken tikka masala.[8] The motion was not chosen for debate nor has Sarwar spoken on this subject in Parliament.[9][10]. Others lay claim to the origin being Birmingham and Newcastle. Some people have drawn comparisons between chicken tikka masala and butter chicken, another Indian dish including chicken and gravy which was probably invented in Northern India.
  12. Gavster

Gavster Novelty & Proud

Here's a cracking recipe I use quite often!

Boutique Chicken Tikka Masala for 3/4.

To start:

Chop chicken breasts into chunks and place in a bowl with about 50ml of lemon juice. Sprinkle with Cayenne pepper and stir. Eventually, each chunk of chicken should be lightly coated.

Marinade:

Chop and dice 1 red onion.
    Chop 4 cloves of garlick.
    Finely chop a 4cm length of root ginger.
    Add about 100ml of Greek style yogurt.
    Blend for about 30 sec so ingredients are finer.
    Add another 100ml of yogurt.
    Add 1.5 table spoons of garam masala.
    Add 1 table spoon of cumin powder.
    Add 2 heaped table spoons of chopped coriander leaves.
    Mix and then add mixture to the chicken. Seal with clingfilm and leave in fridge for at least 6 hours, although overnight is better.

Chicken:

Preheat grill and line a tray with foil.
    Arrange marinaded chicken chunks on grill tray and cook on high heat. Once the chunks have turned a biscuit colour, turn and cook other side.
    Start preparing sauce whilst chicken is cooking.

Sauce:

Measure 200ml of hot water in a jug, add 2 table spoons of tomato puree and stir.
    Then add 150ml of greek yogurt and mix together.
    Add 1 teaspoon of sugar.
    Finely grate a 3cm length of ginger root and add to sauce.
    Add two heaped table spoons of chopped coriander leaves.
    Add a table spoon of garam masala and stir mixure.
    Add mixture to a large pan. Keep on a low heat and stir.
    Add cooked chicken to sauce.

Serve with basmati rice - for bonus points, push individual rice portion into a suitable cup, then upturn the cup on to a plate to create a neat rice tower.

This is boutique chicken tikka masala. Yum!
  13. kompressaur

boooooo ODM pisses on a scottish fire. Come on ODM you know how much it means to a scot to have invented things lol Wha's like us? etc
  14. kompressaur

anyone got any curries for folks with high choleastral? nah as there's none as we have to eat shitty horrible rabbit food. :(
  15. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

You've invented a million things Komp. Punched well above your head per capita without a doubt. It's just that shit like that can never be proven either way. If I put half a dozen brussel sprouts in a pan with two mars bars and a dairylea cheese slice, who's to say some cunt in Shitsville Mississippi hasn't been eating it for breakfast for the last twenty years?
  16. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

That's the sort of thing I'm after Gavster. I want ingredients that I can get hold of.

Although I must admit, I'm a sauce man myself. No tandori chicken or mixed grill stuff for me (not without an accompanying curry sauce anyway.). I want something to dip my naan into.

Speaking of which, does anyone make naan breads from scratch as well?
  17. kompressaur

lol you should invent something that just comes in one big eat ODM and you can call it.........Onedunme.

No offence to my reunited scottish friends seeing has i have taken up scottish citizenship again but they do my tits in when they start talking about all the things they invented. My gran was bad for it. We didnt even invent the telephone that was stolen by Alexander G Bell from a swiss fella when he worked in the patent office. I dont know of any other nation that likes to blow their own trumpet like the scots. Aye we invented the trumpet too im waiting for the axeman to reply with lol
  18. kompressaur

I better go eat my bran with soya milk. Enjoy your curries chaps :(
  19. slick

slick Administrator

I make Nan breads from Scratch ODM, its pretty easy too, I'll tell you how as we go along.

There are hundreds of recipes like Gav's but the secret of getting the BIR taste is the base sauce, thats the big pot of golden like 'soup' all indian restaurants use as their base sauce.
    I'll gather the ingredients for that in a minute but it is predominantly made up of onions.

You will need spices ODM and most can be bought from supermarkets, only down fall there is that you pay top whack for small amounts, better to find an asain grocery store if you can or buy online.
    I get most of my spices from here...
    http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/

Before you start to make any base it's probably best to make up some ginger and garlic paste as this will be used in most recipes including the base and if you make a lot can be frozen and used as and when needed.

To make the paste just use equal amounts of fresh ginger (peeled) and garlic, put into a blender or food processor and blend with about 3 tablespoons of sunflower oil to a creamy paste, I usually use 3 whole bulbs of garlic and about 2 inches of ginger of around 1 inch circumference.
    I then split this into 3 small tubs, 2 go into the freeze and the other into the fridge to use as and when needed, to keep it fresh you can add more oil so it covers the paste, this way it will last for weeks.
  20. slick

slick Administrator

For making curries also try and get hold of an aluminium omelette pan, make sure it is NOT 'non stick' as you will just scrape off the coating and taint the curry because of the way currys are made using a stainless steel 'Chefs Spoon' which is another item that is invaluable for stirring and measuring spices and ingredients etc. 1 chefspoon usually = 3 tablespoons (tbsp)

heres the sort of pan you should be looking for, with them being solid aluminium it means they do not create 'cold spots' while cooking and the heat is evenly distributed across the base of the pan which means all the spices are fried/roasted at the same temperature.

This ain't a bad price tell the truth...
    typical pan
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ipac-Grandi...1_14?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1326129131&sr=1-14

I got my chef spoon off ebay, exactly the same as this one and only around 3 quid...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14-35-5-C...1?pt=UK_BOI_Restaurant_RL&hash=item3cbad37219