1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Bizarre end to tennis final

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by ONEDUNME, Jun 17, 2012.

1. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

2. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Cilic wins Queen's title after Nalbandian disqualified

David Nalbandian was disqualified in the final of ATP Queen's Club for kicking and injuring a line judge, handing the title to opponent Marin Cilic by default.

The Argentine 10th seed had won the first set on a tie-break 7-6(3), but after being broken by the Croatian sixth seed midway through the second set to put him 4-3 behind Nalbandian kicked out in frustration at an advertising hoarding.
    Unfortunately, the hoarding was right at the feet of line judge Andre McDougall, who caught the full force of Nalbandian's kick on his legs and eventually limped off court for treatment with his left shin bleeding.
    After prolonged discussions between a number of tournament and ATP officials, umpire Fergus Murphy handed a code violation for unsportsmanlike behaviour to the 2002 Wimbledon finalist and awarded Cilic his first title of 2012.
    The relevant ATP code states: "Players shall not at any time physically abuse any official, opponent, spectator or other person within the precincts of the tournament site. For purposes of this rule, physical abuse is the unauthorized touching of an official, opponent, and spectator or other person."
    As a result, Nalbandian not only lost his right to play for the trophy, but also his prize money (around £36,000) and his ATP ranking points for reaching the fina
  3. Steve_uk

Steve_uk Well-Known Member BANNED

Of course one is reminded of John McEnroe in the 1990 Australian Open where he was disqualified after three code violations,and many thought that even this was ten years too late with that player as he seemingly pushed the boundaries at every match since he had reached the semi-finals of Wimbledon in 1977. Speaking of Wimbledon one recalls the 1995 incident at a men's doubles match where Tim Henman accidently hit a ball girl in the ear with a tennis ball after a tantrum.The differing temperaments between the two players suggested how stressful and performance-driven the sport had become in the modern era.

Notwithstanding one might speculate on the corollary to genius,namely that those who possess an exceptional gift in a particular area such as Wayne Rooney,Beethoven,the late Steve Jobs,Billie Jean King might not be the nicest people to meet in real life. Just how nasty a person has to be with talent to reach the top is a moot point. When we get a black youth from Brixton with a tennis racquet in his hand is the day we Brits might just win Wimbledon,instead of the heaven-sent Tim Henman must have been for the Wimbledon tennis committee. Of course one longs for the days of Bjorn Borg..
  4. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

Am I misinterpreting you, Steve, or are you implying a black youth from Brixton is more likely to be a nasty person?

Anyway, generally speaking you could have a point, because I'm one of the nicest people you could wish to meet but I'm shit at tennis (and playing the piano), while Onedunme is a complete bastard, but still won several Grand Slams and married Steffi Graf.
  5. Steve_uk

No sorry I don't wish to denigrate any black person,just wouldn't it stick in the Establishment's gullet to have to hand the trophy to someone who may not be of their set..
  6. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

Arthur ashe?
  7. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

When it was twice as slow you mean ? :thinking

I also dont understand the bit about Henman & McEnroe. The differing temperaments suggest nothing, surely, as one was a namby pamby loser & the other an argumentative winner yet the both lose their rags ? That doesnt make sense
  8. Steve_uk

Well yes but he was American,the tax rates hadn't come down in 1975,and they were quite different days in tennis terms as well..
  9. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

Which one of the 3 wrong bits was that an answer to?
  10. Steve_uk

Well it might say something about how the nature of the sport had changed,that winning,greed and gamesmanship all played an increasing part,concomitant of course with those massive new racquets which should never have been allowed..
  11. Steve_uk

With McEnroe I have a feeling it bordered on gamesmanship..his antics were dreadful most of the time,and people just sat back and took it because the stars had become bigger than the tournament..well done Gerry Armstrong for having the courage to disqualify him. With Henman I don't think it was directed against anyone else,just he felt a weight of expectation on his shoulders as our best home-grown hope to win Wimbledon since Fred Perry in the 1930s..but two different personalities who both felt pressure..
  12. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

McEnroe wasnt on his own at the time though was he? I'm no tennis fan but Connors was only slightly worse, & Nastase also springs to mind, so if we're harking back to the 'good old days of Borg', how can we rationalise the other 2 being around at the same time.
    Henman you say was heaven sent in one hand, yet having a tantrum in the other. also how can he be under severe stress at wimbledon when that happened in the doubles, when he was probably already out of the singles (not checked)
    Arthur ashe also won Wimbledon at the same time that Connors, McEnroe & Nastase all played. I'm sure the royals would rather hand the trophy over to that nice quiet black bloke than that awfully loud brash yank
  13. hotspur

hotspur Active Member

I met and spoke to John McEnroe on a dozen occaisions during his Wimbledon hayday ...and I found him to be courteous and generally nice each time
  14. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

he was a winner on the court, thats all. everyone shows it in different ways. He also played at the same time as Borg, making the whole line of argument ridiculous.
    Bet you werent dressed in white if he was nice though, Hotspur :lol
  15. Steve_uk

True I think it all started with Nastase. it was the constant line-call questioning that turned people against McEnroe in particular,Connors used to make personal comments and grunt a bit as he struck the ball,another tactic which should have been stamped upon in the early days before the likes of Monica Seles and Maria Sharapova continued that tradition. It's an unfair tactic which may well put their opponent off psychologically,as well as he or she not being able to hear the trajectory of the ball and where it might bounce.
  16. Steve_uk

That's fine hotspur but his on-court behaviour was reprehensible and should have been stamped on when it appeared at first. No player is bigger than the tournament,but that's exactly what they became as the sponsors demanded ever higher viewing figures and the players received astronomical prize money the court officials became frightened to impose what few powers they had at their disposal.
  17. hotspur

hotspur Active Member

No,but my boss would have much preferred it if I was
  18. Steve_uk

You should not be allowed to win at the expense of stretching the rules to breaking point and so discomfit your opponent that you win by default.
  19. hotspur

hotspur Active Member

You say no player is bigger than the tournament-fine,but the main reason I watched was cos of McCenroe.Never ever liked tennis.........Weeeelll,cept when Chris Evert was playing and,of course,Anna Kornikova pre internet
  20. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

I'm sorry, thats rubbish. hasnt it been clinically proven that Seles in particular could do nothing about her grunting?
    The last 2 points I'll answer separately:
    1) If you're saying to me that a professional sportsman can reach the top of their game with the training & fitness required & then be psychologically put off by someone grunting at them.....well i'm flabbergasted.
    2) Hearing the trajectory? utter rubbish again. theres no way that sound plays a part in it. you dont hear it bounce, you see it bounce, or in some cases feel it bounce. Yes if it was played in total silence it would feel strange, but it wouldnt affect it, its all in the eyes. Ideally theyd have no sounds disturbing their concentration but you become immune to it. Ive never played tennis to a high level but I've played cricket to a half decent one, & i've faced a lot of quickies including test players. Cricket balls can kill you, unlike tennis balls, & you play it by sight, sound has nothing to do with it