1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Boiler problem

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ONEDUNME, Feb 28, 2018.

1. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Let me share this with you chaps on the off chance that it could save you money at some time. Woke up this morning and put the central heating on. Gurgling noise from boiler and then a loud grinding noise and an error message displayed (F2 - may differ on different models).

After ringing two plumbers and getting no answer (for some reason they all seem to be busy :lol) I resorted to youtube and, lo and behold, got it sorted in ten minutes.

Turns out that what they call the "condensate pipe" was frozen. This is the pipe that takes excess water away from the boiler and often goes outside the building. I traced it outside and surely enough it was surrounded by ice. Boiled the kettle once, poured it on the pipe from top to bottom and a four foot block off ice slid out of the bottom (after I'd broken it off in three inch lengths:naughty). Well chuffed not to have to pay a call out charge and waiting all day for a plumber to get to me in the snow.

Log it in your memory banks chaps. It may help you or someone you know next winter.
    Kegman and winrew like this.
  2. slick

slick Administrator

lol, That's a well known fact around these parts ODM.
    Here up north they usually lag that condensation pipe.