1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Bye Bye Hilda

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by slick, Oct 15, 2016.

1. slick

slick Administrator

Jean Alexander died tonight at the grand old age of 90.
    Never been a big Corrie fan but Hilda Ogden was always there or thereabouts while I was growing up, also knew plenty of gobshites like her lol.

Say Hi to Stan and Eddie will you cocka from me while you're up there.
  2. Steve_uk

Steve_uk Well-Known Member BANNED

Yes bye bye Hilda-or should it be tara chuck? The irony was that Jean Hodgkinson was from Toxteth and Bernard Youens from Hove, yet they concocted a performance of a Darby and Joan working class Mancunian couple which drew audiences of 20 million, a figure unheard of today as the multiplicity of channels on a variety of media diffuses the viewing figures, which at times are less than for Countryfile or Antiques Roadshow, the preferred escapist outlets as it's now no longer socially acceptable to be poor and the kitchen sink drama strayed away from its natural roots into ever more insalubrious storylines.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  3. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

20 million, a figure unheard of today as the multiplicity of channels on a variety of media diffuses the viewing figures,

Translation - There are more channels than there used to be so people can choose to watch different kinds of rubbish rather than the utter predictable shite that is the British soap opera. I'm a bit surprised to see that Steve appears to be lamenting its decline given that it represents the epitome of dumbing down to the absolute rock bottom level of dumbness.
  4. Steve_uk

Trust you to polemicize an obituary thread. What I lament is the contraction of working class jobs which have been shipped off overseas by unscrupulous capitalists to the detriment of young people in the Western world, many of whom now have a bleak future leading to all kinds of social problems including self-harm to name but one, and because of this angst choose to spend their leisure time watching Countryfile instead of gritty soaps which offer no form of escapism but only confirm their predicament.
  5. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

Interesting choice of video clip Steve ..

At which point I just doff my cap:hatsoff

You are a very very good wind up merchant

I didn't think you were

but you are

You are so good in fact your accurately represent 1970's politics

And also unfortunately - the next 10 -15 years we can "look forward" to.:cold

Well done - you won :clap
  6. Steve_uk

Yes..little did we know what lay in store.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/margaret-thatcher-worst-prime-minister-pm-david-cameron-century-100-years-a7367481.html
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  7. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

Steve - you are one of the luckiest people alive

You are living in a golden age - an age which will may soon end

There is a wonderful world out there - enjoy it before it ends:thumb
  8. Steve_uk

The Golden Age ended in the 1970s. I have lost count of the incidents of suicides, self-harm and other social problems caused as a direct result of stress in the workplace.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.../teacher-caroline-bailey-found-hanged-8768908

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-33984082

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-32797769

I am better off than many, but my parents are dead and I have very little family to speak of.

By the way, I'm not too sure what you mean when you said I won. I really don't come on here to antagonize, strange as that may seem.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  9. slick

slick Administrator

I actually believe that although most on the forum will disagree:lol

Many years ago during the Thatcher years when I was young and naive I used to be a staunch unionist, At the time I secondary picketed most pits and Murdochs empires before it became illegal.
    That was a time when most workers were brothers and would do the same for each other, well most would.
    The ones that wouldn't were scabs and rightly so because they still took what the others fought for while stabbing them in the back, high unemployment made it dog eat dog.

Thatcher knew this and consecutive governments since have played the same card create high unemployment and you have average worker eating out of the palm of your hand, If you can't do that due to a falling population, bring in the immigrants which is the situation we have today.

Brexit fcuked them over because they thought the average brit would be scared shitless of their scare mongering tactics but they didn't realise there was still a lot of us old schoolers ready to get of their arses to make a difference although we couldn't be arsed to vote in general elections because nothing changes no matter who you vote for.

I don't know where I'm going with this post now because I've strayed from original point of telling Steve to chill because times aren't what they once was, post Thatcher i've worked with blokes who were sound as a pound until it came to job cuts then to save themselves they would sell you down the river.

Unions will never be the same because people aren't the same, they've done a job on us and it's worked well, I'm hoping brexit could start unravelling it but I'm not so sure because the cumulative plan for the whole world seems to have the same end.
  10. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Steve's a deluded cunt and so is Slick in many ways. There has never been a golden age when brother stood with brother against oppression. Never. You pair of idiots were both young enough in the 70s and early 80s to believe the propaganda but the fact is that if there was one job going with decent pay and a man could elbow his mate out of the way and get that job, he would have done it - just like he would now - just like he would have done in 1926 when people were starving. The very idea of a common working brotherhood is pathetic and laughable and you two are simple for buying into it. It's bollocks.

Miner turned against minor in the pit strikes. Where was the brotherhood there? A man's job is to feed his kids, not to proof his solidarity to his mate by starving alongside him. To think there was a time of common brotherhood is to dismiss the fact that, when pushed to the wire, will do what he has to do to feed himself and his kin.

Steve, if you thought there was no "stress in the workplace" in the 1930's and onwards when men were crawling on their bellies in pit faces for 12 hours a day and then picking coal on the face for a couple of hours so that they could take it home and build a fire for their kids, then you're a simple twat.

The Golden Age? You make me laugh you silver spooned cunt. Slick - you should know better. Unions will never be the same because most Union reps (and politicians for that matter) are in it for their own betterment. Bunch of cunts the lot of them.
  11. slick

slick Administrator

There was a golden age and they did stand side by side, I was probably one of the last to witness it, I saw it with my own eyes and it gives me the values I still hold today.

It's like black and white, nothing today compares to what those fellas would have fought for, most are probably dead now but they had a backbone of the like I've never seen since.
  12. Steve_uk

I think some of us were thinking about the post-war period 1945-76.

I could think of the 1848 revolutions in Europe which deposed the French monarchy. Or the 1917 Russian Revolution which did the same with their king and went much further. The German monarch abdicated in 1918. Universal suffrage finally in 1928. Roosevelt's New Deal of 1933. The Welfare State in 1945.

As for the miners, didn't they get a pay cut in 1926? Were you for or against this? And your miners who continued working in 1984-whatever happened to them? http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/october/13/newsid_2532000/2532765.stm
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  13. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Would you like to explain why those questions are remotely relevant to what I said and explain why you're asking me?

Thanks
  14. Steve_uk

The point is that when the working classes have right on their side they can effectuate change even if this is brought about by the classes above them who hold the reins of power.
  15. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Except that you've disproven that theory with your example of the miners in 1984 haven't you. They may have had right on their side in some eyes (right is a very subjective thing) but it effectuated the achievement of absolutely fuck all.

As ever, you contradict yourself and you aren't bright enough to know that you're doing it.
  16. Steve_uk

Well I didn't contradict myself because they were included in a separate paragraph. Anyway the miners kept the moral high ground in 1926 and 1984, apart from the scabs who worked on and met their Waterloo years later.
  17. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

Roosevelt's new deal of 1933 lead to Roosevelt's depression of 1937

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recession_of_1937–38
  18. Steve_uk

Of course you know better than the economists below:

Economists disagree about the causes of this downturn.

19. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

Ah, come in Mr Friedman, we've been expecting you
  20. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Well you did contradict yourself. I'll try to explain why in really simple terms and then you may be able to grasp exactly how.

You say "The point is that when the working classes have right on their side they can effectuate change"

In your previous post, you cite the cause of the miners and the 1984 strike. A classic example of the workers (presumably, in your view) "having right on their side" and yet, despite that, they achieved absolutely zero. Fuck all but plunging their families into feuds and economic misery.

If you want to take the argument further, did they really have right on their side? The theme of the poor oppressed struggling miner fighting back against the might of the establishment is very romantic and a view very widely held but if you take into account that the miners never, ever voted to go on strike in the first place and, instead were led into it by a megalomaniac dictator who forced the whole sorry affair knowing full well that he dare not call a national ballot because he would have been firmly put back into his box by his own members, it maybe casts a different light on things.

You're a great one for democracy and the rights of the working man Steve. Where was your precious democracy in the fight that your holding up to be so good and right? Where was the right of the working man who was being told to go on strike without being given the option of having their say?

I'd be interested in seeing your reply (preferably without half a dozen spurious links that I'm never likely to click on)