1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Coronavirus Covid-19 stats from worldometer

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by slick, Mar 24, 2020 at 02:17.

1. slick

slick Administrator

:crossfingers Hoping Italy have seen the peak, their death figures have been stable for a few days now.
  2. slick

slick Administrator

28 confirmed new cases in England .
    Not good but a lot lower than I was expecting.
  3. slick

slick Administrator

Chart now updated
  4. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Much lower than I was expecting to be honest. I've been expecting us to break through the 100 deaths in a day barrier any time in the next couple of days
  5. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

I see Switzerland has now overtaken Italy in terms of number of cases per 1m population
  6. slick

slick Administrator

I Was half expecting that tonight tell the truth, more so with the delay releasing the figures.
  7. slick

slick Administrator

Yeah, they we're discussing that on the news before.
  8. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Switzerland's positive figures are high because they are doing systematic testing, specifically on over 65s and people with medical conditions. Good idea if you ask me although it isn't doing anything for the number of death figures by population. I reckon they've probably got the strategy right in identifying the most vulnerable and they doing something about it. I'd put money on their % rate coming down in comparison to others, what is it now ? Ah 18 and the UK is 7 and the USA (which we know is going to rise) is 3. Yeah, difficult to see why it would be so high. Austria which is a similar population is 3 and portugal which is not much larger is 4.

Strange
  9. slick

slick Administrator

looks like the UK for the first time have given out the serious/critical stats.
    If they are true that's not as bad as I feared either.
  10. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Looking at the population density, Swizerland has double the people per square kilometre than Austria and Portugal do. That's the main thing that's baffled me about France, they have the same population as UK but have more land to spread them out over so I would have thought that France would fare better than UK but so far that's not the case. Obviously you would need to take into account the population of the cities but I can't believe that they would be any worse than Uk by that measure
  11. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Nor me, very good at the moment in fact.
  12. slick

slick Administrator

Tell a lie, they were released yesterday aswell.
    That's good as it means todays figure is true as there's been a slight increase, both stats look good.
  13. slick

slick Administrator

Netherlands are starting to look like they're on a sticky wicket.
  14. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

What was it yesterday mate?

The think to remember about ventilator/ICU cases is that once they're there, most of them will be there for a couple of weeks minimum. There's two ways out, either pop your clogs or lie around for 2 or 3 weeks waiting to recover so for every 50 or so that go onto that figure today, one or two might come off from previously but all of those 50 are gonna be on there in two weeks time with the exception of those who die. Gonna be a key figure to watch over the next couple of weeks. That's the "pinch point"
  15. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Yep, twice the population of Switzerland and half the space.No wonder their deaths per 1M is 21. Also, they have one of the lowest numbers of ICU beds per 100,000 people in Europe. Perfect storm
  16. slick

slick Administrator

Yeah, I've put all the charts in the original post.
  17. slick

slick Administrator

And I also agree those figures if updated daily are going to be key to watch, as those along with deaths are the only solid figures we have to work with at the moment.
  18. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Well, well, well. Just googled life expectancy by country and guess which three countries come up in the top 7 in the whole world? I knew Italy had an aging population but interesting to see Switzerland and Spain up there with them, given their figures.

upload_2020-3-25_23-6-50.png
    slick likes this.
  19. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

UK are 29th :lol. Strange to think that our shit lifestyles may actually result in the cull being less severe
    slick likes this.
  20. slick

slick Administrator

Well done Agatha.
    Now use your detective skills to find out why Japan slid off the radar in no time at all:thumb, in mid Feb they were 2nd on the list.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 03:01