1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Coronavirus Covid-19

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by slick, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Topdog

Topdog Moderator

NO UK Racing till 1st June at earliest
    slick likes this.
  2. slick

slick Administrator

3. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Yeah it's shocking. Will be interesting to see whether all the anti-vac people around the world refuse to get them and their kids vaccinated if one is ever produced.

As for lockdown v non lockdown
    Norway who have had the strictest lockdown measures have reported 229 deaths in total (21 in the last two weeks)

Sweden (remember, twice the population and virtually no lockdown) 3, 460 deaths (including 147 yesterday).

That doesn't mean I think the UK are doing the wrong thing. We can't all sit in a cupboard and hope it fucks off. There may never be a vaccine.

We can't wait that long
    slick likes this.
  4. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Some stats to keep an eye on which may indicate WHEN the change of lockdown strategy impacts on the number of people getting ill

11,327 Number of people in hospitals in UK with Corona today
    13,615 Number last Wednesday
    15,359 Number two weeks ago

Number of “Active” cases in UK (as reported by Worldometer)
    196,175 Today. Up by 25,494 on the week before
    170,681 last Wednesday Up 31,900 on the week before
    138,780 Two weeks ago Up 27,417 on the week before

Hopefully an indication that the rate of increase has peaked and is slowing (currently increasing by around 3,000 per day). At some point, there will be more people recovering than being infected and the number of active cases will start to go down.

Number of people currently estimated to have Corona-like symptoms (produced by the self-reporting app Zoe).
    244,600 Today
    266,106 last Wednesday
    318,513 Two weeks ago
    The difference between this data and the “active cases” data is that this is based purely on how people are reporting that they are feeling, whereas the active cases is based on positive actual tests, so it makes sense that this figure is higher as there are many other conditions that produce the same symptoms as covid. However, I think it will be worth keeping an eye on because, with over 3 million people reporting, I’d be surprised if a spike in this figure wasn’t followed by a spike in the number of positive cases.
    SAMOAN and slick like this.
  5. slick

slick Administrator

Yip and all the Sweden fans in the media and comments have gone quiet to.
  6. Seen

Seen Moderator

SAMOAN likes this.
  7. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Seen likes this.
  8. Seen

Seen Moderator

Another interesting set of articles, mate...(you need to subscribe but it's free)

https://twitter.com/i/events/1261356917508759560

The comments are worth a perusal too, some interesting discussions without the usual internet morons slagging each other off.
  9. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

:thumb
  10. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Brilliant stuff that mate. The truth is that we are all guessing at the moment and short term comparisons may not bear out over the longer term but always interesting to see people putting different theories forward.
    SAMOAN likes this.
  11. Seen

Seen Moderator

Definitely. I haven't had a chance to read too much of it but will do when I get the chance, looks really interesting and I just want to read something that has no obvious bias or agenda to it.
    SAMOAN and ONEDUNME like this.
  12. winrew

winrew GILF

Starting to get pissed off at work , lot's of procedures have been put in place for our benefit.
    Everyone was adhering to them until last week , it's like it always was now , eating together, travelling in car schools , walking out in crowds etc etc.
    Fell out with a few folk over it , the novelty seems to have worn off.
    I've just found a empty control room with Wi-Fi away from the Muppets while I have bait and a cuppa.
    Long shifts don't help mind , plus the wife's off on one
    because I've been at work throughout the lockdown and she's been on furlough, like it's my frigging fault.
    Doing my best to comply with the advice that's being dished out , but sadly most of the others are not bothering , if it gets any worse I might as well lick a ICU nurse and be done with it.
  13. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

:lol:lol Lick an ICU Nurse. i wish id thought of that one.
  14. Seen

Seen Moderator

https://www.news.com.au/world/coron...n/news-story/b55680fc3b6a11b8c258317d3454961b

Wouldn't surprise me at all. I myself was absolutely floored by some kind of virus in late November, I literally couldn't get out of bed for a couple of days, totally fatigued and headache from hell. Mrs Seen had it too and also had a cough for weeks she couldn't shake. Worst 'flu' I've ever had.

I would wager a large percentage of people have had Covid-19 in one form or another in the last 6 months.
  15. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Possibly. The trouble is, everyone who's had a slight cough or anything vaguely wrong with them since last October is convinced that they've had Covid. Almost as if no other infections exist any more. Prime example is a bloke last week who swore he'd had it in November cos he'd "never had anything like it". He was tested last week and tested positive so that's unlikely.

The Wuhan connection makes this story feasible but that's still gonna leave a couple of hundred thousand people who are convinced they've already haven't who actually haven't.

There is other nasty shit out there.
  16. Seen

Seen Moderator

Yeah that's true of course, the truth is that we'll never know.
  17. Seen

Seen Moderator

What I had (whatever it was) was so bad it would almost certainly have killed someone very old and frail with existing health problems I'm sure.
  18. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

It's called "man flu" :lol
  19. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

20. slick

slick Administrator

What a prick.
    It's one thing visiting family in the same town or City but travelling the length of the country when you have symptoms is taking the piss, more so when you are part of the Government.

And they wonder why people are flocking to the beaches and here there and everywhere.