1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Cryptic clues

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Seen, Aug 10, 2013.

1. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

I'm thinking the letters colt plus the name of a country with a desert (does Iran have a desert?) to make an anagram of another word for wild/errant/eccentric/ferrile
  2. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

and the name of A fish incorporating another word for brief (either meaning short or underpants related) and stimulate - maybe ending in ING?
  3. Seen

Seen Moderator

ODM - these two are hard, especially the fish one.

1. A brief way to stimulate fish (8)

2. Wild colt in desert country (8)

The bold words are the straightforward clues. So you're looking for the name of a fish and a country.
  4. Seen

Seen Moderator

Oh and in cryptic crosswords, a 'way' usually means a kind of road etc. You could swap 'stimulate' with the word 'encourage' perhaps, to give 2 words, 5 & 2.

'Wild' would be a pointer for an anagram of the following word.
  5. Seen

Seen Moderator

These were too hard for me, by the way. They are probably only getable if you can get some letters in from other answers. But they do make perfect sense when you know the answers.
  6. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Sturgeon

St street
    urge
    on

would never have got that without the clues Seen
  7. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Scotland

nice one
  8. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

colt and sand
  9. Seen

Seen Moderator

Well done mate :clap
  10. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

You cryptic crossworders speak a different language to the rest of us:lol

How on earth "a brief way" can be "st" to those of us who unaware of your secret code is baffling. :banghead

I bet you all have secret handshakes as well :yahoo
  11. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Yes we do - unfortunately, Seen has a very firm grip and it can be painful on the penis if you're not expecting it

A Street is a "way"
    St is an abbreviation of Street and therefore a "brief" version = A brief way

I know what you mean though and, as Seen says, if you do cryptic crosswords regularly (who has the time?) there are things that automatically mean something else so for example if you read "we hear" or "I hear" or something like that, it means that the words sound like something else so, to use a version of the old joke......."Rhudolf is blind we hear -2, 4", could have and answer of "No idea". See? - What do you call a deer with no eyes - no eye dear.

Likewise, there are some staple clues and answers which come up regularly and that's because the compiler has got to produce a certain amount of words and tie them all into one little box. He/she is also going to be forced to use some short words in there or words that they can't think of difficult cryptic clues for and that's the way into the difficult ones because it's always going to put some letters in to help you.

As this thread has demonstrated at times though, you can sometimes get the right answer and still not know how the fuck it relates to the clue. One of them took me about 2 days to realise that it did actually make sense:lol whereas someone else may have spotted the answer straight away.

Frustrating - but satisfying when you know you've finally got the answer (with or without additional clues:embarassed)