1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Eurovision Song Contest 2016

Discussion in 'Special & Novelty Betting' started by Steve_uk, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Steve_uk

Steve_uk Well-Known Member BANNED

2. Steve_uk

I have changed a couple of the videos which had been removed for copyright reasons. Just to note also for diehard Eurovision fans Germany decides tonight at 19:15pm GMT. You can watch by clicking on this link. http://www.eurovision.tv/page/timeline
  3. Steve_uk

Germany has chosen schoolgirl Jamie-Lee Kriewitz to represent them at Stockholm, with shades of Rihanna's Diamonds and more than a touch of Eurovision 2012 winner Lena.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  4. Steve_uk

Tonight's the night to vote for our Eurovision entry, the first time in six years we have been granted the privilege when, it may be recalled, we voted for Josh Dubovie, who finished in last place. I note during the week the Establishment has valiently tried to build up Ken Bruce as an ersatz Terry Wogan, and listeners will I'm sure by now have formed an opinion, as Bruce has attempted to emulate him for the last thirty years at least. You can click the link below or watch on BBC4 Freeview at 8:30pm. http://www.eurovision.tv/page/webtv?program=193433
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  5. slick

slick Administrator

Bollox I've missed it, @ least I'll get to see the vote and winning song I suppose.
  6. Steve_uk

Joe and Jake have won with this live performance.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  7. Steve_uk

There's a choice of seven finals tonight and you can decide which one to watch (if any) by clicking here. http://www.eurovision.tv/page/timeline

I'll be tuning into Norway's final, wondering what the successor will be to last year's song, which reminded me of a tribute to Jeremy Bamber and his sister Sheila.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  8. Steve_uk

Agnete has won the Norwegian Melodi Grand Prix with Icebreaker, but it's going to be difficult to stand out from the female vocalist crowd with it.
  9. Steve_uk

It reminds me a bit of Iceland's Unbroken, which didn't qualify last year, sadly.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  10. Steve_uk

Hungary has chosen Freddie with Pioneer, but I'm not really getting this song about temples and maybe Jesus as the pioneer, despite his avowedly special voice.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  11. Steve_uk

Moldova will be represented by Lidia Isac, but I wonder if it's too run of the mill to make any impact in the Final.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  12. Steve_uk

Sandhja's sheer force of personality should get Finland's song into the Final, but I don't see it progressing much once there.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  13. Steve_uk

Slovenia has chosen blonde Manu Ella to follow in Maraaya's footsteps from last year (remember those headphones?) and she's in the Kelly Clarkson-Carrie Underwood mould, and far too strong to resort to the change of clothing gimmick midway through the song.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  14. Steve_uk

Twenty-one songs down and twenty-two to go. A couple of countries have declared but I can't get the videos yet. Remember the Big Five of UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain plus the host country Sweden are through to the Final automatically. Turkey has withdrawn in protest against this custom, and Portugal was in a mess with its selection process and also withdrew. Countries with no natural voting block (UK, Ireland, Switzerland, Israel, Australia) need songs above average just to qualify, apart from UK, but then we have caused so much animosity this year with the EU renegotiation that whatever song we send this year is a dead duck, I'm afraid.
  15. Steve_uk

Latvian Justs Sirmais has won his national competition tonight, and he's surely the best of the male vocalists so far.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  16. Steve_uk

France has chosen heartthrob Jewish dentist Amir Haddad, and whilst people are raving about the song on wiwibloggs the most that can be said about it is this is an improvement on recent years.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  17. Steve_uk

Armenia has chosen Iveta Mukuchyan and Love Wave, which may stand or fall on the choreography. At least it's yet another female vocalist which makes the odds better for Joe and Jake.
  18. Steve_uk

Since we're on the subject of Joe and Jake and watching the video again I didn't quite make out the first line, so there's some work to do there, remembering that for most of Europe English is a second language. Apart from that I thought their live performance was pretty impressive and if they can keep it fresh I think this is the best UK entry since Blue in 2011, who unfortunately were sung out on the night.

On a different tack it's Israel's turn to pick an act tonight, and you can watch the live stream here at 7:00pm. http://www.eurovisionlive.com/
  19. Steve_uk

I like the way Israel's entry builds and with an illuminated nocturnal backdrop and a pianist on stage this song might just qualify.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  20. Steve_uk