1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Family Trees.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by slick, Aug 31, 2018.

1. slick

slick Administrator

I'm pretty sure we've talked about this before but I can't find a thread, maybe it was on TDP.

Anyhow I've researched it once before and did rather well so I thought and left it at that always intending to go back to it, I did it mainly using the ancestory uk website when I got a years subscription on the cheap.

It must be 8yrs or more since I last looked at it, then the other week I was talking to a sister in-law who wanted to do her family tree and didn't know how to go about it, so I took up the reins again offering to help her.
    Rather than going to the ancestory uk website, I decided to try findmypast because it also has Irish records which is where I got stuck last time around.
    So I imported my tree into that website, after a few days trying to pick up from where I left off I decided to just start from scratch again, I'm glad I did because it turns out my original tree is way off the mark.

I think it's because the findmypast website is a lot more usually friendly or maybe it's just that I have more patience, either way I've took some branches of the tree back a few more generations when I thought I had hit a brick wall on ancestoryuk, plus some branches were completely wrong familys.

Anybody else ever delved into their past?
  2. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Yes but I did it the proper way and I can tell you that websites like that are bollocks. I’m not surprised that you found that your efforts were a pile of shit and I’ll tell you why.

I looked at a shit load of birth certificates, marriage certificates and parish records and visited cemeteries to physically get information and even then i spent a day in a town in Staffordshire searching for someone who was nothing to do with me - I was thrown because a couple with the same names and the same birth years as the people I were looking for sent me off on the wrong track. They were married in the same year as my anscestors too! What’s the chance of that happening eh?

Well the chances are quite small really. Once u get back a little way, you see that, in a lot of places in britain, eapecially I would imagine those away from the big cities and ports etc, you get the same old common popping up all the time. George, Mary, William, John, Anne, those kind of names. Add to that the fact that people were usually named after people in their family and the fact that travel was rarer than it is these days and you get a shit load of people in an area, many with not just the same first names but often sharing first names and surnames. The most common names in your school were probably David, John, Michael, Paul... etc etc.

What i will say is that the less common the surname you’re looking for the better the chance you have but anyone who’s ever actually looked at old records that have been converted (originally on microfiche- sp?) will back me up when i say that some of the entries are fucking unreadable often due to damage if the original paper or just shit writing) once u get back a way (assuming ur looking for working class people) a lot of people couldn’t write and ur then reliant upon the jobsworth taking the record to spell the names correctly on the register or you’re fucked.

The only proper way to do it (and who’s really got the time?) is to double check birth/marriage/death certificates, Censuses (as far as they go) and physical gravestones where possible. Even then it can be a struggle.

Unless you do that, you’re gonna be sitting around a table at the next family wedding talking about some fucker else’s family.LOL.

Just one more thing to add, you can only trace what people wanted you to trace- i.e, records won’t tell you that your grandad didn’t actually share any of your great grandad’s genes because he’s a product of you’re great grandma getting fucked by the coal man when great-grandaddy was down t’ pit.
    slick likes this.
  3. slick

slick Administrator

That's not a rarity, I've come across it a couple of times now just on my tree even with double barrel names.

Doesn't help coming from a City and having a common surname.
  4. slick

slick Administrator

Some belting names to be found, helping Moan's mate do her tree over the weekend and found she had Constance Crapper in the family lol, but a lad at work beat that today when we found out his great great great Grandmother was called Fanny Fowler:lol
  5. slick

slick Administrator

Got a bit of a shock today, found out my grandfather on my mothers side is a Jock:eek (Komp does work in mysterious ways)
    For years we thought he was a Salfordian with Irish parents but something didn't ring true when I was doing the family tree so I ordered his death certificate because that's the only thing I knew about him, his age and what he died of.

He died when my Mum was two from TB and her mother never told her anything about him, last time I did the family tree there was a local man with the same name born in the same year and lived in the same area as my Grandmother so presumed it was him because he even died in the same year.
    But when I was going over my family tree again I noticed an initial 'A' after his first name on the marriage certificate, so on further Investigation I found that a man with the same name and initial died in the same year but in Cheshire:thinking

This was troubling me so I ordered the death certificate and it arrived today, Turns out it is him, He died in a Cheshire Sanatorium (had to google it lol because I thought it was a nuthouse) but it turns out to be a place where they sent people with TB from Salford, cause of death was TB and home address was that of my Grandmother so it's definitely him.
    The death certificate also gave the 'A' in his name as being Aloysious, which was handy because he's the only one on the national register with that full name and also gave the name of one of his brothers.

Armed with that info, it was pretty easy to find he was born in Scotland (Coatbridge) wherever that is to a Scottish father and Irish mother (married in Ireland), funnily enough they were the only two born in Scotland, the rest of the family including siblings were born in Ireland, I'm presuming they travelled to Scotland to find work or fcuking Gypos:lol

It's a pity I've found this out two years after my Mam passed away.
  6. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

interesting stuff Slick. Are you going to carry on with it?
  7. slick

slick Administrator

Well I've paid for another Month so I may aswell get my moneys worth lol.
    Plus I've got my eye in now and on how to use all the different BDM registers from the home Countries for best effect, they've been invaluable for finding maiden names that are not on the main Geneology websites, more so England and Wales I'll admit.
  8. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Good stuff. How much did you pay? How much is it to order a death certificate these days? Have you actually visited any cemeteries or have you not had the time. They can sometimes throw up stuff that you won't find on the documentation such as people buried in the same grave or next to each other.
  9. slick

slick Administrator

It's £12.95 a month in which time you can do 90% of your tree if you put a shift in then just cancel the auto-renew.
    Death certificates are about £12 but you can get the PDF sent to you for £6 like I did if you're not bothered about a piece of paper.
    I've not visited any cemeteries yet, never thought about people being buried together other than spouses so good idea batman.

The 1921 Census released in 3 years time will tie up most of the lose ends in my tree, by the way findmypast also has the 1939 register that was released early because it was never fully finished due to the war and took place because a fire destroyed the 1931 census.
    This means that after the 1921 release there won't be any census release for a generation because there wasn't a 1941 census; again because of the war, so the next census release after that will be in 2051.
  10. Punter

Punter Moderator

My Auntie looked in to my dads side of the family and went back over 250yrs. I always thought there was a bit of Welsh in us somewhere but it turns out we've never really travelled that far. We've always been about Herefordshire, Worcestershire and Shropshire, with a farming background.

It's a bit more difficult trying to find out my mothers side. I'd have to ask my Nan who the American Soldier was :embarassed
    I'm pretty sure she'd tell me to fuck off and mind my own business.

This is one of my favourite photo's. My Nan age 97 and grandson age 4. Born on the same day, 5 generations apart. Though with the grandson being adopted there's no blood line there. There's more to family than blood though eh.

Capture.PNG
    Seen, winrew, slick and 1 other person like this.
  11. slick

slick Administrator

Your Gran looks good for 97 Punt.
    I'd say there could be some Irish blood there, looking at those hands she could be related to Pat Jennings.:wink
    Punter likes this.
  12. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

I’d nail it
    Punter likes this.
  13. Punter

Punter Moderator

It's a good job she's deaf as a post and didn't hear you say that!
  14. slick

slick Administrator

lol, reminded me of one of my all time favourite you've been framed clips....

15. winrew

winrew GILF

My family tree has just grown again. Grandkid no6 arrived at 9.00 am today.
    Punter likes this.
  16. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Congratulations mate
  17. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

Congratulations Winrew :beer
  18. slick

slick Administrator

Nice one Wins:thumb