1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Gaming Room

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Seen, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Seen

Seen Moderator

A couple of weeks ago my oldest lad (finally) moved out (hurrah!) leaving us with a spare room. It's only a box room, it's tiny really, just big enough to fit a single bed in and not much else, and I decided to make it in to a gaming room.

Well, it was originally going to be solely for gaming (me and my two youngest lads are gamers, Mrs Seen is not) but to keep Mrs Seen happy it's now called the Entertainment Room, as I bought a Smart TV which has Netflix built in and also quite cleverly allows us to stream movie and TV show files from my PC's hard drive. Also have Sky HD in there along with a RGH 360 with around 800 games on a 2TB hard drive and a non-flashed 360 for playing Live. Also have a PS3 downstairs which I might bring up. My lads have a PS4 and Xbox One which are staying in their rooms.

Anyway, I've been meaning to do something arty for years now, I used to draw and paint and make things when I was younger but now that I'm an old cunt I don't have time. As soon as I had the idea of a gaming room I knew I wanted it decorated with handmade retro gaming wall art. Spent a week or so cleaning, preparing and decorating the room before putting in a 50-inch TV and stand and a 2-seater sofa bed from Ikea (although there's no room to pull it out as a bed).

Before....
    [​IMG]

After...
    [​IMG]

The wall art is drawn out on my PC (used Excel, made all the cells into squares and drew the 8-bit graphics on there) and ready to get made. First section (Space Invaders) is done....

SAM_2673b.jpg

SAM_2647b.jpg

I'll post more pics when I get more done. For these I used Foam Board, which is basically hard foam sandwiched between 2 pieces of white card, easy to cut and gives a nice 3D effect. It's quite expensive but worth it as it's perfect for this. Used acrylic paint for the red & green. The red went on well with 2 coats but the lighter green needed 4 coats, so for the next stage I'm going to try mixing the colours with white emulsion to hopefully give a thicker paint.

The whole room has only cost around £800 and that includes £400 for the telly. Pretty happy with it so far :cool:
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    winrew and Punter like this.
  2. Punter

Punter Moderator

Lol, that's brilliant Seen. I wondered why you hadn't been about so much for a week or two. Top job!

The lad will be moving back in when he see's this lol
  3. Seen

Seen Moderator

No he won't, unless he wants to sleep in the shed.
    Punter likes this.
  4. MickeyPaul

MickeyPaul Merry Christmas!

Magnificent splendour, Seen. That's really quite remarkable. LOVE IT!
  5. slick

slick Administrator

Nice one Seen, If I was you I'd get a surround system to finish it off, you'd only need a small one considering the size of the room but it'd make hell of a difference for gaming, especially listening for sneaky fcukers sneaking up behind you.

You've just given me an idea, we've just bought a CNC laser cutter in work, when somebody learns to operate I could probably get any shape you want cut out in plastic, acrylic, mdf etc, I'd get it done buck shee.
  6. AnothrSpacecat

AnothrSpacecat YES voter

lol lovely stuff. have you put a fridge in there yet? in an old flat of mine i had a small one that doubled as a side table, cost about 30 quid and could keep a bit of food and drink in there.

impressed with the retro gaming artwork, you could probably package that sort of thing and sell them as single panels to folk looking to do the same thing. without even checking, there must be people out there doing that already, if not then you should get on it.
  7. MickeyPaul

MickeyPaul Merry Christmas!

That's a blummin' great idea actually Spacecat. Ebay the shit out of that. Or Dragon's Den!
  8. AnothrSpacecat

AnothrSpacecat YES voter

i would if i had the equipment for it to hand already, ive no will to sit and cut shapes out of paper for hours by hand
  9. Seen

Seen Moderator

Finally got 'phase 2' finished after various setbacks...

phase 2.jpg

Originally had the idea of putting in a surround sound system but thought that it wouldn't work with the room being so small and enclosed, but went with Slick's advice and got some which were cheap but also had excellent reviews everywhere I looked (http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/pc-speakers/1281868/logitech-z506) - the room isn't wide enough to have the side speakers either side of the couch so I've hung them on the wall at ear level which works great.
    Punter likes this.
  10. Punter

Punter Moderator

Top work Seen, deserving of a bigger room really.
  11. Seen

Seen Moderator

A bit more done - a nice illuminous space invader on the blind and good old Miner Willy in the Spectrum colours...

betnod1.jpg

betnod2.jpg
    Punter likes this.
  12. Seen

Seen Moderator

I had to put this project on hold for a couple of months but have finally got the next stage completed. It was very laborious and time-consuming but it was worth it in the end as it's turned out pretty much like I'd hoped.

All 'sprites' crafted by using black foamboard as the base with colour card spray-glued on top.

It actually looks better in real life than the photo's as the flash makes the black wall a lot lighter than it is.

phase 3 copy.jpg
  13. AnothrSpacecat

AnothrSpacecat YES voter

jesus christ. how lo g did all that take

looks brilliant
  14. AnothrSpacecat

AnothrSpacecat YES voter

jesus christ. how lo g did all that take

looks brilliant
  15. Seen

Seen Moderator

Okay, so 3 years after my eldest lad moved out and I turned his room in to the gaming room originally shown above in this thread, my middle lad moved out last summer so I had another spare room on my hands. This one is much bigger (it's not that it's huge, more that the first one was a box bedroom), it was originally the living room when we first moved in 20 years ago, before being changed in to a bedroom.

After a short discussion with Mrs Seen, we decided to turn it in to a games room, with actual physical games rather than purely video games like the one upstairs. The room was in a bit of a mess, and needed a fair amount of work doing to it, including ripping out the old fireplace and burning off several layers of gloss paint from the woodwork. I'm not the best at DIY, but I spent several months working hard using the small amount of spare time I had stripping the whole room down and starting again from scratch. I did everything bar the plastering of the chimney breast (and got a plumber to take out the old gas fire and cap the pipe off). Decided to go with bright colours, mustard walls with royal blue carpet and white woodwork, wouldn't want them in a living room but suits a gaming room perfectly I think.

Now needed things to fill it with.....

IMG_0159.jpg

Got myself a bargain with this, Tesco had them reduced from £80 to something like £22, so snapped it up. Pain in the arse to assemble but actually pretty good quality and should last, unlike more cheaply made ones which wouldn't stand up to too much vigorous play. Fits neatly in to the alcove and can be pulled out when being used.

Next up was a dartboard, as it wouldn't be a games room without one, would it? Again, got a bargain as these Blade 5 Winmau's with the cabinet surround usually sell for around £70 but Argos had them on sale for £37.99 - the dartboard itself usually costs around that on it's own. Made my own cork protection boards so Mrs Seen doesn't ruin the wall :p

SAM_4453.jpg

Next item was Mrs Seen's idea, a retro 'jukebox', although it's basically a glorified bluetooth speaker. Looks good though and omits decent sound, piece of piss to connect to your phone to stream your music or radio channels. Can flash snazzy lights too. I wouldn't call this a bargain though, probably overpriced at around £60 from B&M but does bring the room to life.

SAM_4465.jpg

Bought a couple of split-panel canvases to take the bareness off the walls....

SAM_4471.jpg

SAM_4468.jpg

The next item was the centre attraction, I'd always loved the idea of having my own pool table, I remember one of my mates had one in his house when we were kids and I was massively jealous, so this was my chance. When searching for a decent quality one which wasn't going to cost a five-figure sum, I found something which was even better - a 3-in-1 table consisting of a pool table, an air hockey table and a table tennis table. Often with these gimmicky things the quality suffers greatly but intensive studying of the reviews it was clear that these things were well made and well worth the money (£539), especially when you consider that you pay at least that for a bog standard slate bed pool table alone.

Okay this thing has an MDF play surface and not slate but it's perfectly fine for recreational use. I measured the room and decided that the 7 foot table would fit in perfectly with just enough room around it to play, there is a 6 foot option but I really didn't want that as they are too small for a proper game. I did have to buy slightly shorter cues but it makes no difference to the game play at all. The build quality is impressive and the pool table rotates to bring around the air hockey table from underneath (most home air hockey tables are poor due to low quality air fans but this one works really well), and you get 2 sheets of thick MDF to place on top to form the table tennis table. This is about three quarters the size of a full sized table which I was a little worried about but you adapt to the size quickly and it doesn't affect the quality of play at all.

IMG_0151 b.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

Finally, my pièce de résistance, something that I'd been wanting for a long time...my very own custom made arcade machine :heart::heart::heart:

Found a guy on Facebook who makes these and again the reviews checked out brilliantly. Had the choice of either a full sized machine, a bartop (basically just the top half), or a bartop with a lower matching stand. Went for the latter option as it gives the look of a full size machine with the option to move the bartop separately if needed. The guy does his own artwork which is really good but I'm quite arty myself so really wanted to design my own decals to have a really unique machine.

After a ridiculously long time humming and harring over which way to go design-wise, and suffering badly from creative block for about 2 months :embarassed I finally came up with artwork which I couldn't be more pleased with, I wanted something bright and bold which encapsulates the early 80's arcade games that I would obsessively spend my paper round money on as a young lad. Absolutely love the way it's turned out, and the machine itself is fantastic, beautifully made and just perfect - one of the best things I've ever bought. Thousands of games including Arcade, Playstation and all the old consoles and handhelds. I've played on it just about every night since I've got it, even if it's just a quick 15 minute blast.

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_2656.jpg

IMG_2658.jpg

IMG_2576.jpg
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
  16. Seen

Seen Moderator

IMG_2659.jpg

IMG_2660.jpg

IMG_2661.jpg

IMG_2584.jpg

SAM_4417.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg
    slick likes this.
  17. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

That is absolutely mint. Will read up when i get home
    Seen likes this.
  18. Howson

Howson Active Member

Absolutely brilliant that Seen - id love to have even half of all that in my house - sadly it wont be happening in my lifetime Im afraid - where do you live ha ha ha?
    Seen likes this.
  19. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Just read it all, that's some labour of love there mate. Just one question to ask, where's the bar???
    Seen likes this.
  20. Punter

Punter Moderator

That is quite brilliant. Can i move in?
    Seen likes this.