1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Gaming Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by slick, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Seen

Seen Moderator

Until Dawn is basically a playable teen slasher movie, it's actually very good. You control the 8 characters (one at a time of course) during the story and any of them can die if you do the wrong thing. Bunch of teens stuck in the middle of nowhere with a deranged killer on the loose hunting them down.

2. slick

slick Administrator

The trailer looked like a movie, what's the gameplay like and can you compare it to anything?
  3. Seen

Seen Moderator

Yeah, it kind of flits between movie parts and playable parts, but the graphics are possibly the best I've seen, you do control the characters quite a lot but it's mainly a linear route you have to take. There are quite a few genuine jump scares too, I never get these watching a film but I think when you're playing the game and actually in control of the character you do get the sense of being afraid when you're getting chased by a madman in a clown mask with a big knife.

The storyline is decent and would make a pretty good film. Plenty of gory deaths and I found myself going for a 30 min play and staying on it for a couple of hours.

All characters can die and all can survive, which gives it replayable value but I'll probably play it just the once then bung it on ebay (where I got it from).

9/10 from me although if you don't like this type of story-driven game then it won't be for you.
  4. slick

slick Administrator

My problem is I like Movies and I like Games but have never liked a link between the two because I like picking up a joypad and want to start gaming, sitting there watching cut scenes just leaves me pressing buttons trying to jump past them not even taking in what's going on.
    I've done that in every game I've played including classics I've enjoyed, the daughter will say is that such and such a person from such and such a place , I'll just reply 'don't know' lol.

Suppose I need to change my mindset to start enjoying more recent games and stop being an impatient fcuker.
  5. Seen

Seen Moderator

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, but with this one I felt happy watching the cutscenes, I think it's because you're in control of the fate of all 8 characters so you tend to have a bit more interest in what they say and do while you're not controlling them.

If you're gonna give it a go, buy it off eBay then stick it back on when you're done, probs only cost you a couple of quid
  6. MickeyPaul

MickeyPaul Merry Christmas!

lol WTF ODM? I've only been "slightly drunk" twice I think in the videos and those were years ago. I don't drink when I play as I can't be arsed. I genuinely talk like a drunken fuckwit :( For comedy purposes. FUCK YOU!!! I don't need to defend myself. I'm sorry. :(

Guild Wars 2 is now free incidentally. It's..... I mean.... I think you could have fun playing with someone as we do. Teezo loves loot and crafting and sorting her inventory. I like the exploring and finding stuff. Anyway. CHECK HER CAMEL TOE!

7. MickeyPaul

Teezo rage - only a few seconds but fucking intense!

Punter likes this.
  8. slick

slick Administrator

Got Fallout 4 off the daughter last week for my Birthday.....see you's all in 6 months.
  9. slick

slick Administrator

I'd forgotten just how a good a game Fallout is with being all Borderlanded up and all that.
    I'll tell you what, Fallout 4 is every bit as good as Fallout 3 if not better, what a fcuking game,it's hard to put down.
  10. MickeyPaul

I'm still trying to get through New Vegas, Slick. It's sooooo fucking bugged that I have to keep reloading shit over and over and over. It's miserable. I loved Fallout 3 and New Vegas when it works but I don't think I can handle any more of it. ANYHOO!

I happened to put my crouch button next to my melee button in the Battlefront beta (just noticed it while going through footage) and its like I have a tourettes tic :( Was quite funny when I put them all together:

P.S. - I noticed Jim Sterling put Until Dawn as one of his top 6 games of the year. FUCK consoles though, man. LITERALLY. Ooer.
  11. slick

slick Administrator

Bought Until Dawn for Moans as a Christmas filler so I'll get my hands on it then.

I wasn't impressed with Fallout Vegas either Mickey, It was more of a DLC rather than a full game.

Fallout 4 is a different kettle of fish, I thought Fallout 3 was perfect but Fallout 4 has improved on perfection, It's kept it's core gaming engine but you now have the ability to build settlements as you would in let's say the Sims or Minecraft and also more influence in using workbenches to really improve your weapons and apparel, something that you could take or leave in the past.

I thought Fallout 3 was brilliant but looking back I used to skip a lot of the dialogue just to get on with the game, Fallout 4 immerses you so much into the game that the dialogue becomes critical and not just a sideshow, Bethesda have really nailed this one.

They've also toned down the Metro's that used to piss me off in Fallout 3 as once you've done one why do dozens more just to fill the game content, Fallout 4 has plenty of original town and building content plus extras like calling in artillery or backup from befriended factions when the going gets tough.

As Ronald Mcdonald would say.....I'm loving it
  12. MickeyPaul

I'll wait until it's a few quid in a Steam sale I reckon Slick. I still have Batman Arkham City and Witcher 2 to get through. And New Vegas. And and and... Just Cause 2 and Alan Wake and and.... sooo much I can't even remember.

We just bought Rainbow Six Siege though. AMAZING. So much depth and variation and we've only done a couple of hours as yet on the co-op bit which was pretty funny (we failed summat like 40 missions in a row lol)

Once we hit the multiplayer it's going to be brutal I predict.
  13. slick

slick Administrator

I thought Alan Wake was wank Mickey, couldn't understand what all the fuss was about or get past the first level lol.

New Vegas is pretty dire too, more of a DLC than a game, you'll finish it in a couple or hrs and it's pretty mind numbingly boring, pass go and go straight to Fallout 4.
  14. MickeyPaul

I've only played the first 20 mins or so of Alan Wake, Slick. I'm really not keen on 3rd person stuff where it takes like 5 minutes to turn and position yourself etc like Witcher and the Batman games (although I ended up loving the Batman ones).

Played quite a lot of Dying Light now with Teezo and Greenie and.... I couldn't believe it wasn't made by the same people that make the Far Cry games. It's, essentially, Far Cry 3 with zombies. And we're shite at jumping and climbing. White people can't jump :(

A wee wheezing laughter fit we had due to being shite:

15. MickeyPaul

Just before that we had the.... white girls can't jump, incident :(

16. Seen

Seen Moderator

What did Moans make of Until Dawn, Slick?

MickeyPaul - I seem to remember you enjoying Super Meat Boy - you should check out INK, an indie platformer with similarities. You can get it for $1 on the humble bundle. It's really good, and is quite visually impressive. Gets fucking hard, too :mad:

17. slick

slick Administrator

She had a bash, turned it off, swapped it for RE revelations 2 then played that for 3 weeks, by the time she finished that I'd forgot to ask what the fcuk was wrong with Until Dawn lol.

I'd ask her now but she's just fcuked off to the walk in clinic with the daugther who seems to have a fanny infection, she ain't walking sideways so I think it's water based, soft cnuts these women, fancy giving up a Friday night on the lash because of firey piss.

I'll ask her when she get's back why she packed the game in.
  18. Seen

Seen Moderator

It appears she was not impressed, then! I did say before that you have to like that kind of 'story' game otherwise you'll hate it. I thought it was great.

Currently playing The Witness, which is the long-awaited follow-up to the incredible Braid - Jonathon Blow has been working on it for 7 years or something. Again, if you don't like puzzle games you'll hate it, but it's looking very good so far. Only problem is that after 30 mins or so I get terrible motion sickness and looking at the gaming forums I'm not alone.
  19. slick

slick Administrator

Aye, I might have a go at 'Until Dawn' myself, I've been playing Witcher 3 but can't say I'm that impressed with it, It's quite boring actually.

I've also bought the season pass for Fallout 4, it's on offer at the moment and due to go up to it's normal price in March, I thought the game was brilliant.
  20. MickeyPaul

Anyone getting No Mans's Sky? I know I'm going to hate it yet.... still gonna give them £40 for a cheeky wee go. hahaha.