1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Hodgson for England

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by ONEDUNME, Apr 29, 2012.

1. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

2. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

Hmm, bit of a dilemma there. Hodgson would've been my first choice, but I also think the FA are usually clueless. So does that mean the FA are doing something right for once, or does it mean I'm clueless? :thinking
  3. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

I'll leave that one RC.

I think it's a bad choice. Four more years of failure await us.
  4. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

Maybe so, maybe not. He's not the best manager out there, but he's the best English manager out there (IMO), and personally I think having a foreign manager should be banned, so I'd be more than happy if they appointed Hodgson.
  5. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

I aint getting into this one again, I nearly lost it last time over the short sightedness of all this :ohwell
  6. Punter

Punter Moderator

Good to see the FA have listened to the knowing English public and have gone for an experienced Englishman.
  7. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

I actually like Hodgson, so under the parameters of it having to be an Englishman, which we all know I disagree with, then I'm relatively happy. I dont think he'll do any good though, as wouldnt any other other Englishman, as the players wont respect him & he'll end up being sacked in a couple of years time & the whole circus will start again.

Right, thats my piece, I wont return
  8. Punter

Punter Moderator

Why wont they respect him?
  9. Seen

Seen Moderator

10. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

While I think Hodgson is the best English manager available, and in an ideal world would be my first choice, I do agree with you and don't think it'll work out for him. Punter will no doubt know more about this than the rest of us, I expect, but like you alluded to, I seem to remember him having trouble winning the respect of the players during his time at Liverpool. And if the reaction today (and I'm not just referring to on here) purely to the news that the FA are talking to him is anything to go by, I dare say that if he didn't hit the ground running, he'd have some of the more vocal fans on his back from the start (again like at Liverpool, maybe?), and in that kind of environment it's got to be impossible to succeed, no matter how good you are (unless you're someone like Mourinho who thrives on and encourages that kind of stuff).
  11. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

A link from Seen? Anyone brave enough to click on it? :lol
  12. Punter

Punter Moderator

Correct. Yes i do. An experienced Englishman is the way forward.
  13. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

:lol I meant you'd know more about what went wrong for him at Liverpool.
  14. Punter

Punter Moderator

:)

Tbh, i was expecting Redknapp and Hodgson was a bit of a surprise. My only worry about him is that it's a bit short notice, i think RH has always taken a little time to win folks over wherever he's been. He's going to have be at his very best here.

I havent read in full yet but can this be just the beggining of interviews for a handful of candidates or is RH their number1 target?
  15. Punter

Punter Moderator

Is that link dodgy Seen, my comp reccomends i dont open it?
  16. Seen

Seen Moderator

It was okay for me but it didn't embed properly so I deleted it.

17. Punter

Punter Moderator

18. suirthing

suirthing Member

As a neutral I am all for England having an Englishman in charge, lets see now you lot have tried that before.......Howard Wilkinson, Kevin Keegan, Graham Taylor, Steve McClaren, yeah I bet the likes of Spain, Brazil, etc will be shitting themselves when, whats his name again takes over??....oh yeah Ray Hodgson :lol
  19. slick

slick Administrator

You'll probably find Roy Hodgson is more well known around the world than Rednapp tell the truth suirthing.

I'm in the same camp as Swoops because I think Rednapp would have commanded more respect from the players but from a footballing and tactical point of view Hodgson is a better manager.
    I think his best chance of success would be to get rid of the 'old school' English players like Terry and Lampard who might challenge his authority and start afresh with some new blood, lest face it we are shite anyhow but do have a handfull of good young players who he could build a team around.

He's on a hiding to nothing though as the media is allready on his back and he hasn't even agreed to anything yet.
  20. suirthing

suirthing Member

Yes you have hit the nail on the head Slick, he probably has a better football brain then Rednapp as he has done good things with small clubs without any stars in the team but to get respect is the problem, when he was at Liverpool the likes of Gerrard and Torres thought they were bigger than him and didnt take him seriously.
    I still want Rednapp to get it as I have Bilic backed to be the next Spurs manager......cause he was in London 3 weeks ago for a meeting, don't say I did not tell ye :)