1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Hodgson for England

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by ONEDUNME, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

Jack Charlton did ok in international management :leaving
  2. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Spot on. And if you can't get respect from a bunch of underperforming players at a mid-table club, what chance have you got when the top players turn up at training?
  3. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Good point mate. He didn't do bad in charge of a group of English (and Scottish) players did he:thumb
  4. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

Fuckin' ell, Punt, your lot did more to destroy the bloke than the Luftwaffe did to Coventry :unsure Point is if he waswnt big enough for Liverpool then why is he big enough for England ?

That said, I like him as a manager & hope he does well, obviously. The fact he has more Continental experience than almost anyone else English stands him in good stead, & thats a good start. My fear is that he will be undermined by the press, although anyone will be. In a sane world hes the right choice if it has to be an Englishman. My point is that we all want an Englishman if theres one good enough, so lets hope he is. My argument isnt an antipatriotic one, its the fact that it should be the best man for the job & I think the records of our 2 foreign coaches are tarnished from other sources
  5. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

That said I'd also make it part time so I guess I'm a bit radical. I do think he'd be better starting off after the summer for his own sake. Its alright saying he cant lose but if its a poor couple of years he'll be tarnished with that as a start
  6. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

I also wonder if theyre giving it him cos hes the best English manager, or cos they think 'arrys crooked? Going on past experiences it'll be the latter so it'll be for the wrong reasons...again.

I'll leave this thread to you, Punt, cant be arsed falling out again & i only came back cos you asked a question :lol
  7. Punter

Punter Moderator

I only asked a question to get you back in :lol

I'm not falling out either, i just find it impossible to support England with a foreigner as manager. I can get right behind them this summer now :)
  8. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

I will be right behind them as well, & I have the added advantage of being able to give you shit if it all goes wrong :lol
    Punter likes this.
  9. Seen

Seen Moderator

Should have been Bruce.
  10. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

Rioch? Never.......
  11. Kegman

Kegman Moderator

Did Rednapp say he couldn't read during his trial ???

Guy at work mentioned that he came out and said somethong along those lines
  12. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

I think I might be struggling as well:unsure
  13. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

Amazing to think he was Arsenals' last manager before Wenger
  14. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

FFS, we take enough stick as it is from the Australians when it comes to sport, without them being able to gloat that our manager's one of theirs too.
  15. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Why not. If the criteria is that we need a boring Englishman, we may as well give Rioch the job. Him and Woy don't have a personality between them.
  16. suirthing

suirthing Member

Stuttgart 12th June 1988 still obviously hurts then ODM :lol
  17. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Yeah, I think of very little else at night:ohwell
  18. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

Be interesting to know what you consider to be a success or failure for the four years he has a contract for.
    Also what the man in the street thinks. And then what the press will think (or say)
  19. Punter

Punter Moderator

Shall we make this thread the official England thread for Euro 2012?

Manager sorted, so who's going to be captain then?
  20. slick

slick Administrator

Personally I'd give it to Gerrard as he relishes the position, plus he would be the only candidate really after Hodgson if he has any sense fcuks Terry and Lampard off.