1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

I Know The Score 2013/14 - Free Entry

Discussion in 'Superbru Predictor competition.' started by Punter, Jul 31, 2013.

1. newman200

newman200 OTC

Interesting. Mr Regill, you play the game as I do.
    This week I will place my bonus chip on the Arsenal/Fulham game as a home win.
    I think this game will have the shortest odds.
    Where are you going to place your Bonus Chip?

However this season has thrown more than its share of bizarre results, from week 1 with A Villa winning away at Arsenal, Liverpool 0-1 Southampton [week 5], Man Utd 1-2 WBA [week 6], Tottenham 0-3 West Ham [week 7], Sunderland 1-0 Man City [week 11], Hull 3-1 Liverpool [week 13], Man Utd 0-1 Newcastle [week 14] or Everton 0-1 Sunderland [week 16].
    Some of these rogue results have cancelled any bonus I was building up.

And today I received an email from TalkSport that will make the game all the more harder for the front runners. TalkSport are divulging info concerning the most popular predicted scorelines. Just using those figures should ensure most players obtain decent scores.
    Just as well that I will use these stats as a guide but not necessary as a full blown prediction on my page.
  2. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

Arsenal v Fulham is one of the obvious ones to choose for the bonus, the other being Man City v Cardiff, not yet decided which one of those two I'll be using mine on.

It's true there's not much you can do if you happen to pick out the occasional rogue result, but there are lessons to be learnt from most of them (Man Utd are not to be trusted this season, Tottenham are unpredictable, Liverpool away should be avoided, etc.)

You've always been able to consult the most popular results for one match every week, haven't you? Next to the bonus and insurance chips, there's a head and shoulders icon, if you click on that you can see what everyone else is predicting for that game (but only one game per week). Are they now going to let you see everything?

Not sure I really see the interest in that anyway (and I've never actually used that feature so far) - would be interested to see how often the most popular score predicted is actually the correct score.
  3. newman200

newman200 OTC

Now that you mention it Man City/Cardiff looks a certain home banker. I will have to look into which of the two games I'll place my banker chip. With Man City scoring they could reach 6 as easily as 3. Arsenal seem to win but with lesser goals sometimes making a full banker bonus easier to obtain. [Not that I've had that much success]

Yes I was aware of the icon that you mention. Same as you I choose not to use it. Knowing what is the most popular prediction does lead me to use that scoreline rather than my own nouse.
    I would love for IKTS to enter this 'popular scores' into competition for comparison. I would imagine it be somewhere about the top third in the league.
  4. newman200

newman200 OTC

Reference #140 by rgills concerning where to place bonus chip.

Reggie, Your post gives good advice where to place bonus but where do you place your insurance chip?
    For myself, I always try to put it on predictions of a draw. One goal either way and a result could go from +30 to -10, a difference of 40 points. That is also the reason I never EVER place my bonus chip on a forecasted draw.

Having disclosed that sensitive information, which I hope is of use to some on this site, there seems to be at least 4 potential matches that could result in draws this weekend [five if you include Chelsea/Man Utd].
    I suspect that this weekend the IKTS average score will be poor because of some many close matches.
    Games I think could be draws are Sunderland/Southampton, C Palace/Stoke, Norwich/Hull & West Ham/Newcastle. Last season Chelsea/Man Utd would have been a fair bet for a draw, but I fancy Chelsea to win at home. C Palace/Stoke I think I will probably plump for a narrow home win, and an away win for Newcastle at West Ham.
    Although I would lose out on any chance of winning £1million by not getting by forecasts in before 5pm today, I will wait until Saturday morning to check out latest news and form guide - so some of my forecasts might dramatically change overnight.
  5. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

:lol

Like you, I'd never place the banker chip on a draw.

I wouldn't say I specifically look to place my insurance chip on a draw, but it's true that generally you're less likely to be confident in a draw than you are on a home or away win. Although this week my insurance chip isn't on a draw.
  6. slick

slick Administrator

My Insurance ship always goes on the draw, I'd never risk my banker chip on one mind.
    Funny thing is I've wasted my Insurance chip that way on numerous games this season because the bastard draw has come in.
  7. newman200

newman200 OTC

So far today I've scored 100 points - not bad but could be a lot better.
    I ignored my own good advice and put the West Ham/Newcastle game down as a draw, albeit using my insurance chip.
    Peeved with the very late winning goal at Norwich as I had that down as a draw. [not a bad forecast for 87 minutes of the game]
    Pleased I placed my bonus on the Arsenal game rather than Man City. I got results for both games correct but not with perfect scores. However I was closer with Arsenal and scored 30 points rather than 20 if I had plonked for Man City.
    I have Liverpool to win 2-0 against Villa in the game that starts in a few minutes.
  8. slick

slick Administrator

Shit myself then when Distan bagged what looked like a last minute winner, I had the 1-1 but I've been slaughtered loads of times this yr by goals in extra time.
  9. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

Three correct scores I got this week, and where did I put the banker? Chelsea :grr
  10. newman200

newman200 OTC

Surprised that you didn't put it on Man U/Cardiff which was 3* rather than Chelsea at 2*
  11. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

I did consider it, but as I've mentioned before, I'd rather take a safe looking 2* than a slightly dodgy looking 3* for the bonus. Choosing a 3* game instead of a 2* is only going to get you an extra 30 points at most (if you get the result spot on), or more likely an extra 10 or 15 points. The cost of making a wrong choice is -50 points (-20 for not getting the bonus this week, -15 next week for getting just a 5pt bonus, -10 the following week, -5 the week after that, and that's assuming you get them all right to build the bonus back up to 20pts in the next 4 rounds).

I consider West Ham getting a point at Chelsea to be a shock, but with Man Utd's average form this season (having already lost at home to the likes of Swansea and West Brom), and with Cardiff under a new manager, I wouldn't have been all that surprised to see them get something from that game.

And of course, sod's law says that the Man Utd v Cardiff game was one of the three I got spot on :banghead. Still did reasonably anyway, 70pts overall, but the loss of the bonus is going to cost me in the next few weeks I fear.
  12. newman200

newman200 OTC

Reg,
    I agree with you regarding placing the bonus on safe bets, but why I mentioned Man Utd is because they seem to be building up a decent run of good results. Chelsea/West Ham was always dodgy because it was a London derby. Derby games are notorious to accurately predict. Look at Liverpool/Everton - okay I forecast a home win but never expected it to be 4-0.
  13. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

A derby maybe, don't think it's really a particularly intense one though, is it? Not like Arsenal v Spurs, West Ham v Millwall, Chelsea v Fulham, etc.
  14. newman200

newman200 OTC

Some years ago I visited Stamford Bridge when West Ham were the opposition, and by glory it was a heated game.
    Any London team playing another team from the capital experiences heightened tension, possibly because it is so near for rival supporters to travel.

Next year when Leeds are promoted, it will be the same when they play Man Utd - form will go out of the window. And after C Palace are relegated, it will be interesting to observe their games against Brighton. None of these are local derbies but both have history.....
  15. newman200

newman200 OTC

A couple of weeks ago, most of the matches were easy to forecast and generally ended as predicted - that is why nearly everybody had a good score.
    Gameweek 21 is the complete reverse, or is for me. There are so many games that could easily be draws. And I am having difficulty in where to place my bonus chip. I might even forgo it this week and maintain a full 20 pts for next week.
    The only two games that look to be above average home bankers are Everton/A Villa & Arsenal/C Palace, but Everton have just been thrashed while Villa desperately need the points. Arsenal were held to a draw in their last game and are playing a team that has suddenly found its winning form. I don't like to put my banker on an away win.
    I've already missed the chance to win the £1million so will now wait until tomorrow morning's newspapers to check form and players.
    Don't be surprised if I should get a minus score.
  16. slick

slick Administrator

I very rarely check stats in the Prem, I watch that much football I usually know where a team is at.
    Everton is a prime example, they may have been beaten by four goals but they didn't play that badly; up until Sturridge scored that fantastic lobbed goal they were giving as good as they got but succumbed to some great counter attacking football by Liverpool, I think the lobbed goal was the third and it just took the stuffing out of Everton.
    Everton are still a very good team even with the few Injury's they have at the moment.
    It'a a risky banker though merely through the amount of draws Everton seem to get albeit mainly away from Goodison, still looking at the fixture list this week it's one of the very few x3's that might be worth taking a chance on if you're a x3 sort of guy.

Unlucky too RC, it's a bastard when that happens and I've done the vert same thing a few times this season.
  17. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

That was handy today, lots of people blowing their bonus chip on Man Utd :naughty Although I would've been fucked too if it wasn't for that comeback from Everton.
  18. Punter

Punter Moderator

I dont want to talk about it.
  19. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

10 of the top 20 are currently on minus points for this week. Slick the big winner this week (so far), 95pts and protected his bonus, while everyone around him is stumbling.

At least the rest of the weekend's games look slightly easier, on paper at least, although I guess you wouldn't totally rule out a surprise in any of them.
  20. newman200

newman200 OTC

I just about managed to avoid a minus score but am on zero with only two correct results out of the 7.
    Still got my potential bonus for tomorrow though.