1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Is Phil Jones the next Michael Dawson?

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by ONEDUNME, Nov 15, 2011.

1. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

By which I mean the most overated defender in English football.

Yes I know he's played in midfield for England in the last two games and for United as well but is he not supposed to be primarily a defender? If that is the case, wouldn't it be a good idea if he could actually make a tackle now and again without giving a free kick away?

Yes, he will look good in United's side when they have 75% of possession in a game and the camera sees more of him blasting shots over the bar that it does in his own third of the field but have I seen enough of him defensively to trust him in England's back four? No.

Even in midfield he has given half a dozen free kicks away in very dangerous areas (one in the first ten minutes so far tonight). In a tournament, that sort of habit will soon send you home.
  2. Punter

Punter Moderator

He's still young and still learning but i think he's doing ok. Why they are playing him in midfield is beyond me a bit but as a central defender i can see him improving more. I dont think you can put him in the Dawson bracket just yet, but there's plenty of time for him to hopefully go that way :)
  3. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

What have you got against Jones Punter?
  4. Punter

Punter Moderator

:lol...and as we talk he just misses a one on one with the keeper
  5. Punter

Punter Moderator

..other than him choosing them over us nothing ODM. I think he's ok so far...it's you that dont rate him and that has something against him ya cheeky bugger lol
  6. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Oh, I thought you were saying you hopes he ends up going the same way as Dawson. The bloke who showed so much promise that he trained with the full England team at 19 and then took forever to actually get a call up, only to find that he really, really isn't fucking good enough.

I'm not saying I don't rate Jones as a player. Maybe he'll move to be a midfielder regularly for club and country. I'd be quite happy to see him there from what I've seen. What I'm saying that I've seen nothing in his defensive play to suggest he's the next great hope at centre-back. His tackling is fucking shocking
  7. slick

slick Administrator

You'd have thought Jones was the second coming if you were to listen to some of the United fans in work, I kept telling them he's being put under a huge amount of pressure being expected to play here there and everywhere when he's just walked through the door but they won't have it.

If United are not careful they could ruin him before he has even got started, he's just a young lad who gives his best and since signing for United has tried to give 110% every game, lately the cracks are starting to show and you can see his confidence dwindling, if United aren't careful he'll be burnt out way before the end of the season.

As a player I like him and he reminds me of Ferdinhand when he was younger in the fact that he's happiest with the ball at his feet coming out of defence but as a defender still has a hell of a lot to learn, whether he can improve as Ferdinhand did is another matter but at the moment he's definately not an International player.
  8. slick

slick Administrator

In fact if you watched him against Spain he looked lost in midfield and didn't have a clue who to mark or when to make a tackle, he's not a midfielder and primarily a defender like ODM has mentioned, best to get the lad settled in his primary role first I''d say b4 fcuking him about.
  9. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

Sorry but that's bollox Slick. Are you telling me Fergie doesn't know how to manage a 19 year old kid who has bags of potential and could potentially be in our team for the next 10-15 years. :lol

I always regarded you as a fairly level headed Blue but just recently that Citeh v chip v shoulder issue seems to be coming across in your posts. Think the money's gone to your head mate.
  10. Yorkieacer

Yorkieacer BEST GAMBLER IN WORLD

They need to hurry up and sort out where his best position is, i know its good to be able to play in different positions but it must be unsettling towards him. Personally i see him as a right back who can bomb forward, i dont see him playing midfield so far from what ive witnessed and Center defence i wouldnt like as he wants to get forward to much.
  11. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Jones starts at centre back tonight against Benfica.I was going to watch the Napoli v City game but this might be a chance to see if Jones can actually defend instead of seeing him playing centre forward against shit premiership teams and giving free kicks away in midfield for England.
  12. slick

slick Administrator

You'll see he's a good defender but has a bad habit of carrying the ball too far forward then being caught out of position when the play breaks down, not so bad when he's playing at fullback but could prove critical @ CB.
    He'll learn though.
    I'm presuming he's taking the place of Camel gob and Fergies not resting their best defender too.
  13. slick

slick Administrator

6-1
  14. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

:lol

Own goal.

Twat
  15. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

Are you pointing out the chip distribution on your two shoulders?

Still, back to Thursday night football soon.
  16. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

You must have creamed your pants when that went in considering you posted it within seconds of the goal! :lol

Let's be honest ODM. This thread's really about the mancrush you've got on the young lad isn't it. It's like the little boy pulling the little girl's piggy-tails in the playground because he likes her.
  17. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Brilliant as ever Wayne.:sleep

Now run along and pull Slick's pigtails.
  18. slick

slick Administrator

19. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

Thank you. I wanted to blend my post in with the quality of your opinion. :wink
  20. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

And there lies the difference Mr Slick.
    6-1 in your Cup Final. We lost 3 points.

Always in our shadow.