1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Jury duty

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Kegman, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Kegman

Kegman Moderator

Got a letter a few weeks back saying I had been selected for jury duty.

Had the same a few years back. You phone up the night before and they tell you if you've to turn up or not. Phoned up every night last time but was told not to come in.

Phoned up last night and was told no for today but phoned up tonight and it's a YES. So I've to make my way to the High court tomorrow.

Has anybody been selected before ?
  2. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Nope
  3. Kegman

Kegman Moderator

There was a jury formed for the trial today but I never got picked out but got to hear about it and see the accused. Attempted murder the lassie was up for and they reckon the case will last anything up to 4 or 5 days.

There was 48 jury called. 18 asked if they could be excused and 12 of them were granted which left 36 and 15 were ballotted out as required. The other 21 (including myself) were sent home.
  4. slick

slick Administrator

Nah never been asked.
    Although I wish I was on the Jury for that bastard that threw the baby in the river yesterday, happened just down the road from me, I go over it everyday going to and from work and wondered what all the fuss was about when I returned from work yesterday:frown
  5. Punter

Punter Moderator

Was just reading about that Slick, i wish i was on the Jury too.

Me mum got called up a couple of months ago. Nothing to interesting though, a gypsy with 20 cases of theft against him, got 6 yrs.

Did i ever tell you the time i stole from the courtroom? While i was in the dock and they were fining me for some minor incident.. that i cant remember much about??

Was more than 30 yrs ago but yeah. I was in the dock and you know those small placards you have/had to hold up (not sure if they are still used but).. 'I swear by almighty god that the evidence i shall give will be the truth, the whole truth......etc.

Well they told me to stand and read it out, then when they said sit down, i stuck it up my jumper instead of putting back. There must of been a dozen people in the courtroom but none of them could see me have it away.

Crazy really, when i look back. What the fcuk was i thinking ffs'??

Anyway, i walked out with a small fine and some memorabilia.
    slick likes this.
  6. slick

slick Administrator

Thieving bastard:lol

Touch wood I've not been to court since I was a teenager in the dock but have been a couple of times since to give others close to me moral support.

How that's happened I don't know as I've been in more predicaments one way or another than is deemed healthy.
    Hopefully since I moved away from that shite I'll never have to see a wooden wall again.
    Punter likes this.
  7. winrew

winrew GILF

The wife was on the jury about ten years ago.
    Bank robbery by some crackpot from Keswick , robbed the one he banked at , had a really shit disguise , pretty sure he was arrested in under a hour :duh.
    Case lasted six days , the jury retired and found him guilty before the usher had brought the coffee in.
    He got ten years , the wife reckoned he should have got twenty for being such a fucking idiot.