Komp aka Kompressaur RIP

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by slick, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Punter

Punter Moderator

Id never seen or heard of El Camino del Rey until Komp posted a video up. I remember holding on to the armchair watching it for the first time....

Always trying to bring the forum interesting stuff.
    slick likes this.
  2. slick

slick Administrator

Come on Punt, even Howson knows Komp was 'El Camino del Rey' !
    Punter likes this.
  3. slick

slick Administrator

Get's me every time I listen this because it sounds so personal, miss you too Mucka!!

Jezza likes this.
  4. Yorkieacer

Yorkieacer BEST GAMBLER IN WORLD

Well just thought I would pop in for my usual six monthly or so post, just read the thread RIP Komp you crazy dude many nights I spent up speaking to him about random shite
    Punter likes this.
  5. slick

slick Administrator

Hi Yorkie, good to see you again mate, how's tricks?

You've just reminded me I need to get in touch with Komps sister Lian to get his foundation website off the ground.
  6. Yorkieacer

All good slick Kept myself off betting forums for a long time now and concentrated spending my time on my children and my wife.

How's everyone on here? Busy on here or quiet? Seems like forums have died quite a bit unfortunately :(
    Punter likes this.
  7. slick

slick Administrator

Same old Yorkie but we keep going because we're too old in the tooth to do twitter or Instagram and the like, this way we know the score so to speak.

Good to see you've sorted yourself out and have settled down to be a family man, you were very short odds against that when news first broke the misses was expecting lol.

How many kids have you got now and what are the ages?
  8. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

Good to hear from you again Yorkie

Stay well and stay healthy :thumb
  9. Yorkieacer

3 now slick 11,4 and 1 the youngest two are with my wife so I've concentrated on them the last few years I do still have a mad holiday every year though to let some steak off

Yeah I've got twitter but I rarely go on barely on any social media now a days to busy for all that

Cheers colbro and you
  10. Jezza

Jezza Active Member

Hi Doc, good to see you are doing ok and to see you post in this thread mate. I don't really play poker much these days (and certainly not online) - stopped several years ago now. Always had a ton of respect for you and your analysis of anything to do with gambling. Just that I wanted to be a big shot in no limit games and couldn't hack the fixed limit :embarassed. Do you have a website or anything these days?

Yes it is a shame that it takes something like this to bring people together but as you say that is the way of life, and it is good to see all the old usernames in this thread remembering Komp.

If there is one betting event every year that makes me think of Komp and all the old crew its Eurovision. I have not had a winner up since 2003 yet I go in big time every year :frown.

Also with the World Cup coming later this year was there not a pub manager on the forums who during the 2002 tournament put the weekend takings on Italy to beat South Korea? I can't remember the username but do remember how that one turned out :roll..
    Doc, Punter and slick like this.
  11. GETT1N

GETT1N New Member

Hello. It's been a very long time - and truth be told I can't think of many reasons why I would revive this ridiculous internet 'character' - but sadly this is one of them. I Googled "Kompressaur" last night to see what he was up to and found this thread. I was honestly shocked to my absolute core. I got totally pissed last night and just watched a load of Komp Smith YouTube videos...

Komp. Kompressaur. Ross.

An absolute legend.

I wasted about five years of my life typing up nonsense on sports betting forums and he was the main reason why. I'll be honest and say I absolutely loved the bloke. He was infuriating at times - especially when he almost became a pantomime dame of himself (and then wake up apologising to everyone - and then disappear for a week)... but overall I just adored him.

For those five years I must have spoken to him on messenger or on threads literally thousands of times. Sometimes it would just be me and him typing crap in General Chat on PL or TDP as we were the only buggers bothered enough to read each others nonsense at that late hour.

I have so many memories I can't possible recant them all. But here's just a few:

Do you remember him going out with that woman in Wales? He used to call it "The Wales". "I'm going to 'The Wales' this weekend" he would type. I don't know why but this just cracked me up. It was just so silly.

As Doc mentioned his argument with Paul Ross. I remember him typing how he would "chap his door and boot his baws from him" and you knew he meant it and could absolutely do it with no problem whatsoever. I wonder if Paul Ross reflects on his success sometimes and realises that Komp was the single biggest reason that he ever made any money from internet forums? I doubt he does - but he bloody should do.

I also remember Komp going on about how hard his skull was. And how laying the nut on someone was always a game changer when he got into bother. Unlike plastic hard men on the internet (like me) he was a proper bloke if he had to be - you just wouldn't mess about with Komp if you got on the bad side of him.

I remember him playing COD on multiplayer. In fact that was one of my best Christmas breaks ever. I remember being in my old house and playing COD for hours with Komp and some of the other guys on here. He thought he was quite good for a bit but MickeyPaul was better, as was I, and so many others. It never dented his confidence though as he ran into the enemy hoards typing some of the funniest shit to them and his team mates.

People have mentioned the Komp vs GETT1N betting thread. Well let me tell you the bastard cheated!!!!!!!! It still rubs me up to this day! We had a rule that said you couldn't bet more than a certain percentage of your total bank on one bet otherwise it could just be won by one lucky shot. I was fucking battering him and then he just changed the rules and went all or nothing on some Scottish footy bet (if I remember). The bastard. He loved 'beating' me though and everyone preferred him to beat me too - so I just had to suck it up. But that was Komp - he made his own rules up on just about everything.

As some others have commentated Komp could - and probably should - have been an outrageous success in life. He was that talented, funny, idiosyncratic and clever (some people missed that about Komp - he was not short in the mental agility department at all). But like a lot of wildly talented people he was also borderline nuts. I think when you are that emotionally deep and intellectually bright it can be a bit of a curse?

What makes me sad is that I'm 99% certain (as much as you can be about someone you lost touch with a few years ago) that he wouldn't have wanted to die. Whilst he would shave his head and cover himself in turds he didn't ever strike me as someone with a death wish. In fact - the opposite. He always had plans about what he would do soon enough and how a), b) and c) might just be the answer he was looking for. I feel angry, sad and frustrated that he never fulfilled that amazing potential that he had.

Regards to everyone - even those I fell out with like ONEDUNME and Winrew (I probably fell out with everyone else too but have just forgotten those instances). I hope that you and your families are doing well and that everyone is healthy and happy?

RIP Komp. Nothing I can type seems to be a sufficient way of signing off to you. You are an absolute legend. Someone I'll never forget as long as I live. The World is a sadder and more boring place without you.
    Punter, Jezza and Seen like this.
  12. Seen

Seen Moderator

Nice post, mate. Hope you're keeping well.

I wonder how many other people who are long gone from the forums and still don't know about Komp, no doubt they'll do the same as you one day in the future and google his name to find out the sad news.
  13. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Good words mate- good words.

All the best to you and yours too. I’m convinced you were never the total arse that I thought you were. Too many oeople that I respect had too nuch respect for you for that.
  14. slick

slick Administrator

Nice words and condolences Gett1n and good to hear from you again.
    You're right in that he didn't mean to take his life, the silly bugger was trying out new chemical (once legal) highs and went a step too far.
    He was actually found on his laptop which I suppose it very apt.

His family still pop in now and again and will no doubt be delighted to read those words, thanks.
  15. GETT1N

GETT1N New Member

Thanks everyone.

I have some audio files of Komp ringing people up on some chatroom thingy he discovered. I also have some pics of him as well. If anyone wants these things I'll try and post them up in some way.
  16. slick

slick Administrator

Feel free to post them up mate, you can never get enough of Komp lol.
    If you have any trouble posting them let me know.
  17. winrew

winrew GILF

Nice to hear from you Gettin. Hope your keeping well.
  18. Jezza

Jezza Active Member

Likewise Gettin hope your doing ok mate, good to see you in here.
  19. Doc

Doc Member

Hi Jezza
    Nice to hear from you. Nah, don't have a website these days. Forum slowly died the death as not enough people prepared to fanny around all day posting shite anymore LOL:lol My time became more and more limited, as I found that funnily enough it was hard to do the day job and keep posting like a good 'un, and when I actually put the time into work I was supposed to, I was actually quite good at it :wasnme
    I don't do any betting anymore except for poker, which I've dipped in and out of. Mainly online, low stakes NL, plus some messing around with PLO, SNGs etc. Usually in Vegas a couple of times a year and make a few quid each time (bar last June :unsure) Came back from that and decided to rebuild my game a little so started back at $2NL and have been working my way up through the limits. Probably playing about 10 hours a week online now and enjoying it, and turning a small but steady profit.
    Jezza likes this.
  20. Doc

Doc Member

Jaysus, another blast from the past!
    Some nice stories there Gettin. I remember that COD episode, and Komp posting about "some Cockney fucker" shouting at him in the chat. I recall you being quite offended :lol

Which reminds me of that golden episode with 'Powerfists' :punch - one of Slick's better windups....:roll