Discussion in 'General Chat' started by slick, Jun 29, 2017.
Here he is trying to play seventh nation army on his ukulele
When it arrives please try and show your support by registering and getting involved.
His death is just a tragic accident, I know most people took that for granted anyhow but when somebody is larger than life like Komp was you feel like you need an answer and I can't find any.
My next step would be going over to the Darknet where he used to buy his gear but having been there once before a few yrs back I don't want to see that shite again and I can't see me coming out any the wiser.
I used to read all komps posts and the off the wall stuff took my mind off real life and was a real help at the time.
he helped me do a 40th video with Audacity (which i still use) and various other tips.
Various other things come to mind.
I never posted much but was an avid lurker.
Blast from the past here. Some of you will know me from ThinkBetProfit, TheDailyPunt, PuntersParadise or PuntersLounge - or maybe even all of the above!
I haven't really be doing much in the betting area recently, so haven't been about the various forums. For whatever reason, I googled Komp last week and found the sad news of his passing. In common with those of you who knew him as well or better than I, I can't say it was a shock, but it still made me very sad.My condolences to all on your loss.
I've many memories I could share of Komp, as we had various interactions over the best part of 16 years. A few that come to mind
- Tommo and the dwarf thing. No grounding in fact (AFAIK!), but Komp's witty posts breathed life into it over weeks and months
- Slick is dead! The worst of bad taste, and portentious of where we are now (my first thoughts when I saw the thread title). Only that daft bastard could have done it and managed to stay friends with everybody afterwards
- Trip to the races. I'm sketchy on the details now, but I remember lots of laughs about the 'plans' and then the reality. Somewhere in it, Komp slept in a skip. No bother to the fella
- Fight with Paul Ross. Won't dig up old skeletons, but I remember Komp calling PR out when he got a bit uppity. The closing line was " I'll kick yer baws from you" which has always stayed with me....
- Tarts in Thailand. Bizarre, Anarchic, Sexy, Drunken, Grotesque. Often all at the same time. Komp with money, time and no inhibitions. Genius.
- Hearts. Komp was big into a number of games, including the Hearts game that came with some earlier version of Windows. I remember deciding to try it out, not really understanding how the rules worked. Was a bit pissed as well and lo and behold ran into komp. He was getting more and more irate with me (under my computer name, i.e. not my TDP/PL/PP name) so of course I was winding him up. In parallel I was chatting to him on MSN under my TDP/PL/PP name. 40 minutes of pure Kilmarnock expletives and rage. Wonderful.
So to all - I raise my glass in memory of a complex man. A genius, a lunatic, a gambler, a comic, a junkie, a saint, a fighter, a family man. And a friend.
To Mickey, Slick, OneDunneMe, Swoops and all the other 'oldtimers', even Winrew (we had our moments, but I always reckoned he was a decent fella! LOL) - I hope you're doing ok. To others I've not mentioned, or don't know as well, my sympathies
Hope you'll pop in here a bit now that you've tracked us down. I know you say you're not gambling much but this is as much a place to meet up and talk bollocks as it is a tipping aite these days so it would be good to hear from you.
You have some good memories there Doc and it's good to see you were also following him in the background with you recalling some latter memories when we thought you had left the scene.
Do you still keep in touch with the lads on PP and TBP? I haven't seen any of them around for years.
I'll take the intelligent bit thanks Slick, although not so sure about the stable. Just better at hiding the madness ;-)
TDP gradually just faded away, as myself and others had less time to give to it. I found out that if I wasn't farting about on internet forums 6 hours a day that I was actually quite good at my job LOL Eventually there was some big software issue where I either gave up or had to invest a lot of time and/or money to get things working, so I just gave up....
I'm occasionally in touch with a few of the folks, but nothing regularly. Told Jamdog about Komp - I'd share the odd message with him, usually around boxing. Very occasionally with OddsAgainst - wrote some code for him for a betting project he had. Did a fair bit of work a few years back with Ian Davies (of BackAndLay.com) on a horse racing system that looked really promising, but ultimately ended up costing us both a few bob, and costing me lots of time ;-) Trying to think who else.... Snodser/4PP occasionally of this parish (or was it TDP?) I'd hear from occasionally on matters rugby.
Had a nice little rugby pricing model and a good system going, but I got sick of talking to myself and was struggling to manage to grab all the data etc on my own. Truth be told, I was never (or at least rarely) that big a bettor (in terms of staking), I was always more interested in the 'puzzle' aspect of trying to predict who'd win. Dipped in and out of poker too over the years, generally doing okay, but getting bored after a while. Back playing again now - is jezza still about these parts? Used to enjoy the odd bit of banter with him - we had a rocky start (common theme with me LOL), but I think we had a bit of mutual respect in the end.
Just remembered another funny episode with Komp - albeit Slick was the instigator. It was a windup at Gettin's expense (something I'd been 'guilty' of on occasions too!). Some character called 'PowerFists' and something about a video game. Gettin was getting madder and madder and Komp was expertly adding water or petrol to the fire as required. Happy times. Whatever happened to Gettin? Last I heard, and was in touch with him, he had had some sad news in his family. Did he ever come back?
I always like the one when I wound David Campbell up with larfalot when I asked what does 'Off the Bridle' mean and Larfalot replied it's when the Jockey drops the whip, he went' fcuking apeshit
Not seen or heard of Oddsagainst for a long while, Jezza pops by now and again as does Keema and Chris, they seem to keep in touch with each other regularly.
Tommo went in the very early days of TDP, nobody's ever heard from him since.