1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Latest Movies and TV

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by slick, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Seen

Seen Moderator

Not sure if it's been mentioned on this thread before, but The Americans is well worth a watch - it's set in the 80's during the Cold War and follows a pair of KGB spies deep undercover living their lives as an American couple with a couple of kids whilst simultaneously being ruthless killers who'll do anything to aid their mother country's cause.

It's probably my 2nd favourite show behind Breaking Bad.
  2. Seen

Seen Moderator

Black Mirror is critically acclaimed and I've yet to find anyone to not like it, granted some are better than others.

Inside No9 is also worth a watch, by The League of Gentlemen guys, again some episodes are better than others but all are very well written.
  3. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

Premieres on 10th April in the US, should be out over here presumably within a few days at most after that.
    slick likes this.
  4. slick

slick Administrator

That's some statement if you say it's your 2nd fav show after Breaking Bad, I'll definitely give that a shot.
  5. slick

slick Administrator

I started watching 'The Americans' last night Seen and it's very good, I watched 3 episodes and everyone was a great watch, usually it takes that amount of episodes to get going but this one gets going straight from the off.
  6. Seen

Seen Moderator

Ah, that's good to hear - after Black Mirror I was worried you'd come back shouting at me for wasting your time again :lol

It's a great show, it's just as much about the complicated relationship between the leads as it is about spying. You might think it a stretch that sleeper KGB agents would just so happen to live opposite an FBI agent, but that's actually based on a true account of an 'illegal' they interviewed for ideas for the storyline.

As with Breaking Bad, the acting is great, even the minor characters.

~~~

I rarely bother with UK TV nowadays as, let's face it, the majority of it is awful, but I've been watching a few comedies lately on iPlayer and have been quite impressed.

Uncle - this is not new, currently on it's 3rd series, but is excellent, starring Nick Helm as a man-child uncle to a socially-awkward teenager.

Catastrophe - 2 seasons of this, an American man has a one-night-stand with a woman in London who falls pregnant, their attempts at a relationship is a mess as the title suggests. This is on Channel 4, not iPlayer.

Fleabag - started watching this last night, very good black humour, about a mess of a woman struggling with just about everything. Main character regularly talks to the viewer through the camera which works surprisingly well.

Not Going Out - obviously an oldie but still going strong, now transformed in to a more traditional family sitcom, Lee and Lucy are married and have 3 kids, but the shake-up has worked well first 2 episodes have been great.

Revolting - only watched the first episode so far and a bit hit and miss, but some bits were excellent. Caused a stir with their 'Real Housewives of Isis' sketch but satire is meant to offend, isn't it?
    slick likes this.
  7. Seen

Seen Moderator

Did you get any more of The Americans watched, Slick?
  8. slick

slick Administrator

I watched it all Seen and it was great, the wife found it a bit confusing at times but that's women for you fcuking about messaging on a phone instead of watching what's going on.

I'll definitely watch any future seriessesies.:thumb

I'm giving 'The Wire' another go at the moment, I couldn't really get into it the first time round and stopped watching after about 4 or 5 episodes, but it gets too many good reviews so maybe I didn't give it long enough.
  9. Kegman

Kegman Moderator

I've watched the first 5 epidodes of the americans and it's beginning to look really good.
  10. Seen

Seen Moderator

It's very good, Kegs. It's sometimes a slow burner but never gets boring. The leads play their parts really well, as does Noah Emmerich who plays Stan.

Some interesting facts about the actors you might not know..

Matthew Rhys who plays Philip is Welsh

Alison Wright who plays Martha is English (she's actually from Sunderland, her parents still live 5 mins along the road from where I was brought up)

Richard Thomas who plays Gaad is John-Boy from the Waltons

:cool:
    Kegman likes this.
  11. slick

slick Administrator

Spotted Jon Boy straight away but was surprised to see Phil and Martha were British, I learnt that on youtube a week or so ago when I searched for the next series and came across a tv interview with them.
    Matthew Rhys, yeah, that wasn't a surprise but listening to Martha speak with a Geordie accent, never in a million years would I have guessed she was a Brit.
  12. slick

slick Administrator

Anybody watched any decent films recently? they seem few and far between nowadays, I can probably count on my hand the amount of good films I've watched in the last 5 yrs.
    Years ago there always seemed to be good films about, surely it's not nostalgia.

Watched 'Hacksaw ridge' the other night which I enjoyed, ok for a supposedly true story it may have been largely exaggerated but it made a belting film just like 'Saving Private Ryan' did.

All a viewer wants is entertainment, the film industry seems to have forgotten this and just keep churning out namby pamby films for the pc brigade which is boring shite. when was the last time we watched a good thriller, just go through IMDB's top films and 99% of them are from years ago, what is it producers don't get?
  13. Steve_uk

Steve_uk Well-Known Member BANNED

I think they're afraid of offending anyone nowadays, which leads to an anodyne script and actors who may not be the most suitable for their roles. I watched La La Land, which did afford a modicum of escapism but was predictably dull and made me nostalgic for the kitchen sink drama of the 1950s.
    slick likes this.
  14. slick

slick Administrator

Exactly, we're being brainwashed into being scared of offending anybody whilst those being offended against couldn't give two fcuks who they offend in return.
  15. Seen

Seen Moderator

Went to see Split a few weeks ago and it was fucking shite :mad:
  16. Seen

Seen Moderator

Slick - new season of The Americans has just started :thumb
  17. slick

slick Administrator

Old news Seen lol.

The wife mentioned it last week and we've agreed to let em roll so we can watch them all at once for maximum enjoyment:thumb
  18. slick

slick Administrator

Won't turn out that way mind, as usual we'll spend about 2 or 3 fcuking hrs looking for a film to watch, end up watching about the first 20 mins of shite 10 times over then watching a tv series we know something about.
  19. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

Anyone been watching series 3 of Better Call Saul? I wanted to watch series 2 again before it started just to remember what had been happening, so started watching that around the time series 3 started. The Mrs, who'd half-heartedly watched a couple of episodes in series 1 before deciding it was crap, decided to give it another chance. She got into it this time, so then wanted to go back and watch series 1 too, before starting on series 3.

Wish we'd taken it a bit slower though, we've just got up-to-date with the latest episode tonight (partly due to binge-watching episodes 3, 4 and 5 of series 3 tonight), going to have to watch the second half of the series 1 episode a week, I hate watching series like that, not got the patience :hissyfit
  20. Seen

Seen Moderator

It fantastic, I'm not sure if it would have the same impact on someone who had not watched Breaking Bad though. It's a slow burner for sure but it's showing the same quality writing and acting as we saw in BB.

Got to say Michael McKean (Chuck) is a brilliant actor, plays his part so well. I fucking hate the old cunt, can't wait until he pegs it :mad:

Really interesting seeing how they're integrating the BCS storyline in to the BB storyline we already know, showing how Mike starts to work for Gus etc.