1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Melodifestivalen 2012

Discussion in 'Eurovision 2012 Betting' started by Gavster, Nov 10, 2011.

1. MickeyPaul

MickeyPaul Merry Christmas!

Listening to "In The Club" now and I can hardly believe this is the same person. That's a staggering difference compared to the other performance I heard. Yeah, he's got the moves, a bit of spark here and vocally perfect to my ear. Still, I'm finding him a lot more "standard" than Loreen who genuinely seems special. And her song for me is special too. Obviously that doesn't always equate to, "winner". Sadly.
  2. squallsquall

squallsquall Member

3. MickeyPaul

How in God's name can we explain the difference in his performances? It's night and day. Some kind of malfunction somewhere? And he's about 100 times less gay and campy. Utterly bizarre.
  4. Gavster

Gavster Novelty & Proud

I think anyone dressed all in white with a blond quiff will look slighty camper.

Shit Mickey, I can't cope. My brain is malfunctioning working between the two sites. We need help!
  5. MickeyPaul

No rest for the wicked, love. What you needing?
  6. Gavster

Gavster Novelty & Proud

I forgot to mention that the search data over at escbet is showing Danny in the lead. Obviously, he's the freshest candidate, but the margin is quite large.
  7. Dec

Dec New Member

Eventually found Danny’s amazing online and what I say is damn it. Have loreen backed a few weeks and now thinking it might not win after hearing Danny, must say its good. Sounds like something the wanted would sing. Whichever one wins has the best song so far for Eurovision in my opinion.
  8. MickeyPaul

I hadn't noticed his "Tron" show until now - was too busy listening. That's a great look with the lights. Ah ah maaaazing ah maaaazing. It's in my brain. :(

Sweden looking the country to beat this year though, whoever is in. They seem on the ball. (Loreen still making my spine tingle.. and my liver, kidneys, spleen, lungs, brain)
  9. teo4

teo4 New Member

Hey guys, newcomer here but well experienced in Melodifestivalen and Eurovision matters.
    All indications as well as history show that Danny will win this year. Not my personal best, yet its very catchy and appeals to the average "Swede melodifestivalen fan". The most important thing though is this: ALWAYS when a contestant is a runner-up in the previous contest or reaches very close to the victory and is also very popular, wins next years contest if he enters again Melodifestivalen. Danny was the runner-up last year...
  10. MickeyPaul

Hi teo. I can't tell you how much you've just broken my heart. :(
  11. squallsquall

squallsquall Member

Teo4: has it really happened that many times? Saade is the obvious example, but how many more are there?
  12. Gavster

Gavster Novelty & Proud

That's a very presumptuous assessment. Whilst 99% of the ESC crowd would argue that Danny was a shoe-in for selection, since Loreen's song, the situation has changed.
  13. teo4

teo4 New Member

I repeat that the story of melodifestivalen is an indication of the result. No need to argue or appreciate too much on the internet fuss - melodifestivalen never really cared about foreigners opinions, its all about what makes Sweden happy.
    Except Saade, who had the best song and should have won with "Manboy" in 2010 but only came third to win the following year,
    there are the recent examples of Sanna Nielsen, who reached 3rd in 2001 and 7th in 2007 (with an amazing song), to be on top of the public voting in 2008 and only lost in the end by jury's too much appreciation to Charlotte Perrelli. And then Mans Zelmerlow had the best song in 2007 (Cara Mia) but only came third, to win the jury voting the following year (due to their "guilts") but at the end ranked 4th because the song was actually very very poor (but he will win for sure if his next entry is at least fare).
    Danny though "carries" the whole package this year: a good catchy song, Swedes favourite and last years 2nd place...
  14. Beanie

Beanie Active Member

Squall makes a good point about 2011. Loreen's entry (which I wasn't too familiar with before today) was similarly well set and well sung (for me not a patch on her entry this year, but just my opinion) and it couldnt even make the final. This one does have a lot more traction/hype about it but whether she or her style connects with the MF voters...i'm not so sure.

Punting aside, I think it's a masterpeice of a Eurovision entry...captivating every time I watch it. :eek
  15. squallsquall

squallsquall Member

Teo4: seems to me that your first example (Sanna Nielsen) didn't really fare that great the first of the consecutive years (2007) and Måns Zelmerlöw didn't fare that great the second year (only 6th or so with the public). So the "great finish first year, win next year"-rule really doesn't have that much to back it up. It could just as well be "second place first year, second place second year" this time around.
  16. teo4

teo4 New Member

Well I didnt sign a contract on that :) Its just what numbers tell: Artists that do well in the previous years have an advantage either on jury / public voting partially either on both. Thats what happened with Mans, Sanna and Eric and thats what I expect to see again with Danny (even though I dont like it). In any case, I think Loreens last years entry was amazing and Swedes had to place her at least in the final, if not win - and unexpectedly they didnt! I think she could win easily this year if she had blond hair with blue eyes - but she doesnt!
    So this run reminds me of 2010: An underdog blond and blue eyed well suited singer whos Swede favourite (back then a girl, now Danny) who faces the hot and fan favourite who sings a much more modern song (then Salem al Fakir now Loreen). The blond and blue eyed Swede favourite won in 2010 despite not deserving it at all. Got it?
  17. squallsquall

squallsquall Member

I honestly think you're jumping to far too strong conclusions based on little evidence - one competition with a blonde beating a dark-haired doesn't make a pattern. Besides, isn't Erik Saade dark-haired?

And as for Danny's results, I think we're all expecting him to finish top2 this year, which would fit perfectly with the data you have. He doesn't have to win for that.
  18. Beanie

Beanie Active Member

Are you hinting at some kind of racist bias in the swedish vote teo? I'm genuinely curious - it's certainly something that has appeared in reality shows elsewhere in the past, but I'm not too familiar with Swedes and their tendencies. It would be difficult to draw too many firm theories though - Eric Saade and Salem Al Fakir have similar origins(altho Salem does have a more distinctively Syrian name.)
  19. teo4

teo4 New Member

I do believe that they would more likely vote for a blond with blue eyes then a dark haired person who sings the same song - yes. But at the same time, they do not hesitate to reject everyone that tries to represend Sweden again and again - like they did with Carola in 2008, Andreas Johnson in 2007 and 2008 and Charlotte this year. Thats a good thing - and thats why I believe that Andreas has no chance to win this year and will probably fail in the second chance as well.
  20. Gavster

Gavster Novelty & Proud

Are you also suggesting perhaps an X-Factor like 'sympathy vote'.

Just looking at Facebook 'friends'... Loreen over 22,000 and Danny just over 4,000. As much as I have a vested interest in Danny winning, I just can't see it.