1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

OFC Nations Cup/2014 WC Qualifiers

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014 Betting' started by Napoleon Solo, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo New Member

This is almost over, just the last round of group B matches, semis and final. I have been monitoring and betting on it but I've not posted on it yet as I've only just got back into serious betting and posting on forums.

It's hosted on the Solomon Islands and is played in sweltering heat and humidity. The top four in the competiton (i.e. the semi-finalists) qualify for the final round of World Cup qualifying.

Outright Odds (NordicBet)
    New Zealand - 1.13
    Solomon Islands - 15.00
    Tahiti - 15.00
    New Caledonia - 25.00
    Fiji - 50.00

Group A
    Tahiti 10 - 1 Samoa
    New Caledonia 5 - 2 Vanuatu
    Vanuatu 5 - 0 Samoa
    Tahiti 4 - 3 New Caledonia
    New Caledonia 9 - 0 Samoa
    Tahiti 4 - 1 Vanuatu

Tahiti - 9 points
    New Caledonia - 6 points
    ----------------------------------
    Vanuatu - 3 points
    Samoa - 0 points

Group B

New Zealand 1 - 0 Fiji
    An early mistake from the Fiji 'keeper gifted New Zealand the lead. However, the All Whites never built on this and Fiji came close to finding a goal of their own, denied by some decent goalkeeping. The intense heat and humidity played a massive part in New Zealands relatively low-key performance.

Solomon Islands 1 - 0 Papua New Guinea
    Solomon Islands created a raft of chances against a well drilled PNG defence but failed to kill the game off after a bright start, while PNG created very little up front.

New Zealand 2 - 1 Papua New Guinea
    New Zealand once again started the game well, scoring early on before sitting back to conserve energy. They also did the same at the start of the second half before once again sitting back to conserve energy in the intense heat. PNG pulled a goal back near the end of the match after a handball in the New Zealand box, but other than that never seriously threatened.

Fiji 0 - 0 Solomon Islands
    The Solomon Islands rested some key players in preparation for their match against New Zealand, among them Benjamin Totori and Joses Nawo. Both sides created numerous chances and both had goals ruled out.

02:00 Fiji v Papua New Guinea
    05:00 Solomon Islands v New Zealand

New Zealand - 6 points
    Solomon Islands - 4 points
    -----------------------------------
    Fiji - 1 point
    Papua New Guinea - 0 points

Fiji v Papua New Guinea (2.00 / 3.20 / 3.50 @ Betfair)

Fiji still have a chance of qualifying, albeit a slim one, but they need to beat PNG and hope New Zealand beat the Solomon Islands. Fiji have beaten PNG in the last two competitive meetings, 4-2 in a 2004 World Cup Qualifying game and 2-0 in last years Pacific Games, held in New Caledonia.

Fiji have created plenty of good goalscoring chances against both the Solomon Islands and New Zealand, but their finishing has let them down. They'll be expecting better, especially from star striker Roy Krishna, a Fijian player currently playing his football in New Zealand.

Papua New Guinea have been solid at the back, which has been their main strength though the lack of attacking threat has ultimately led to their elimination. They created nothing against the Solomons while New Zealand were rarely troubled in their match.

Coach Frank Farina has suggested that PNG will be more attacking in this game as they've already been eliminated,which could play into Fiji's hands. PNG's main strength has been their defensive solidity, but a more attacking nature would ultimately leave more space for Fiji's attacking players. Added to this is PNGs lack of a top class striker in comparison to Fiji's Krishna (relatively speaking) and Fiji could find the win they need to give themselves a chance of qualification.

Fiji @ 2.00 (Betfair) - 3 points (Bet placed earlier, now down to 1.92)
  2. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

Good luck Napoleon, and good to see you back posting again :beer
  3. Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo New Member

Bollocks, just lost a massive post after Chrome crahsed! :banghead I'll retype it though as I think (hope) it's worth it.

Cheers RC! :beer

Solomon Islands v New Zealand (7.75 / 4.40 / 1.33 - BWin)

The Solomons should know what they need to do to qualify for the knockout stages by the time this comes around. A Fiji win in the early game will mean at least a draw is needed to progress, anything else from Fiji will automatically mean the Solomons qualify. However, there are a few factors drawing me to a couple of bets on this game. This could be a very good night for me, or it could all go horribly wrong.
    1. This is a home game and the Solomons, and their fans, really want to put on over on the regional powerhouses of New Zealand.
    2. The Solomons have played really well in both games so far, creating plenty of chances against Papua New Guinea despite only scoring the once. They also created lots of decent chances against Fiji, despite resting some of their better players. These players return fresh for the game against New Zealand.
    3. The heat and humidity is intense in the Solomon Islands and has caused New Zealand plenty of problems in both games so far. They've scored goals early in the halves but they've had to sit back after this to preserve energy as they're just not used to playing in these conditions. This has been a great advantage for the amateur island nations (Fiji/PNG) when playing against the professionals of New Zealand. The Solomons are arguably a better side than both Fiji and PNG, while the players from the Solomon Islands are used to playing in this heat and humidity every week.
    4. New Zealand coach Ricky Herbert is due to make big changes to the playing staff now that they've qualified for the knockout stages and therefore the next round of World Cup qualification. They're likely to be missing their most experienced defenders Tony Lochheed (suspension), Ivan Vicelich and Ben Sigmund, with only captain Tommy Smith retaining his place. There are also likely to be major changes in midfield while strikers Shane Smeltz and Chris Killen are also due to be rested for the semi-finals. This could be a very inexperienced New Zealand side that lines up against the Solomons.
    Taking into account the venue, heat, humidity, the Solomon Islands having their strongest squad available and a raft of changes for New Zealand I'm willing to take a chance on an upset.

Solomon Islands to win @ 7.75 (BWin) - 2 points
    Solomon Islands to win or draw @ 2.95 (BWin) - 3 points

NB: You can get 8.10 for the Solomon Islands at Nordicbet, but I'm severely restricted there after one decent win.
  4. Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo New Member

Fiji 1 - 1 Papua New Guinea [​IMG]
    Solomon Islands 1 - 1 New Zealand [​IMG]

+1.85 points

Could have been so much better, the Solomon Islands missed a host of chances. Mind you, so did New Zealand.
  5. slick

slick Administrator

Well done NS, a profits a profit no matter how much better it could have been.
    Good to see you again m8.
  6. Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo New Member

Semifinals

08/06/12 01:00 Solomon Islands v Tahiti 2.25 3.25 3.35 (NordicBet, BetSafe)
    08/06/12 05:00 New Zealand v New Caledonia 1.25 5.50 10.00 (NordicBet, BetSafe)