1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

R.I.P. Anyone who's ever been on the telly

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Seen, Jul 2, 2016.

1. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

2. Steve_uk

Steve_uk Well-Known Member BANNED

For me he will always be Simon Templar.
  3. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

At last, something we agree on.
  4. Steve_uk

5. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

At the risk of repeating myself, never heard of him
  6. Steve_uk

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  7. Steve_uk

Roy Barraclough 1935-2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  8. Steve_uk

Peter Sallis, 1921-2017
    Punter likes this.
  9. Punter

Punter Moderator

Former Newcastle player Cheick Tiote, too. Died in China after a training session aged 30.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40162169
  10. slick

slick Administrator

Just heard that, shocking.
  11. Kegman

Kegman Moderator

More cheese Gromit ?
  12. Steve_uk

Countess Mountbatten, daughter of the Queen's cousin, Lord Louis Mountbatten, has died aged 93. She survived the IRA bomb on 27 August 1979, affixed to the family's boat off Mullachmore, County Sligo, which killed her father, one of her twin sons, Timothy, her mother-in-law, and an a crew member, 15-year-old Paul Maxwell. Her other son Nicholas had mounted the cabin roof to act as lookout and survived the tragedy.

She was later to say of the atrocity:

They watched from the shore while two old people, three children, a woman and a middle-aged man sailed off on a peaceful fishing expedition on a glorious day and then, when we were 300 yards out to sea, deliberately detonated the bomb, strapped beneath the hull, by remote control.”

Only hours later 18 members of the Parachute Regiment were killed by two booby-trap bombs at Warrenpoint, close to the border with the Irish Republic.
  13. Steve_uk

Helmut Kohl, who along with Francois Mitterand of France was the architect of the Euro currency, has died aged 87. Avoiding through his birth any taint from the Nazi legacy he worked his way up through the German Conservative party the CDU and became Germany's longest-serving Chancellor from 1982-1998. Mired in a slush fund scandal doled out to his cronies and unwise remarks about "blooming landscapes of the East" when the reality was a more mixed picture of undoubted investment but also fast-food joints and nail bars, he fell out of favour with the public and was knifed in the back by successor Angela Merkel, who retook power in 2005.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  14. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

So Lord Mountbatten's daughter has died. I have no problem with you mentioning the attack on her father but Warrenpoint is not relevant.

Poor form. Obviously in an effort to make your post more interesting - which it has spectacularly failed to do. As with 90% of the people that you mention in this thread, nobody gives a fuck.
  15. Steve_uk

I didn't want people to think I was prioritizing members of the Royal Family over working class young men: all the deaths were of equal value and consequence and took place on the same day, so it was relevant.

May I offer my congratulations that you've recovered from yesterday's cerebral palsy and also venture to say that some members don't give a **** about your opinion either.
  16. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Are you saying that if that lad had gone out on a boat that day and died that his name would have been on the news the next day? Even you aren't that stupid.

And if all deaths are of equal value to us in England then why are we hearing about tens of people dying in England when half a million have died in Syria.

As usual, you're talking shit.
  17. Steve_uk

Well Syria is not the British Isles now, is it..
  18. Steve_uk

Brian Cant, one of my favourite childhood entertainers from the 1970s has died from Parkinson's Disease, aged 87. He will be fondly remembered for Play School, which he co-presented for 21 years from 1964. He seemed to be overlooked by television producers in recent years, which must have been a cause of sadness to him, but like the quintessential English gentleman he was faced with adversity he maintained the traditional stiff upper lip.
    Punter likes this.
  19. slick

slick Administrator

He wasn't that quintessential when he told me to 'Fcuk off' when I was about 12 yrs old.

We were on a school trip to London and me and few mates spotted at him at Euston train station pulling along a suitcase.
    So we start marching behind him copying everything he did singing the playschool theme, he didn't find it funny at all the miserable sod and after a few minutes turned round and barked 'Fuck off' to us.
    Suppose calling him 'Brian Cunt' didn't help matters either.
    Kegman likes this.
  20. Steve_uk

That's strange; I always thought him to be a gentleman on and off screen. I suppose we all get stressed at times. I had a brief conversation with Stuart Hall once on the Manchester train and he came across as a charming, charismatic person.