1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Relegation Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by winrew, Dec 30, 2012.

1. winrew

winrew GILF

Pretty certain that QPR are going down 1/3 with Stan James.
    Safety / survival , probably around 38 points at a guess , cant see QPR picking up 28 points over the rest of the season , they look terrible against Liverpool at the moment and are heading for a mauling.

Bookies have Reading at 1/6 to go down , seems a fair shout.
    Then it gets to be a bit of a struggle , Southampton at 4/5 , can they pick up the required points ?
    Wigan will probably do the usual , decent run tail end of the season , survive again @ 9/4

Any chance of a so called BIG team dropping out ? And can i include Villa in that statement ?
    Villa @ 13/8
    Wigan @ 15/8
    Sunderland @ 7/1 , surprised they are as high as 7s
    Newcastle , Fulham and Norwich all at 10/1.

Any thoughts then ?
  2. slick

slick Administrator

I've said all season I thought Villa would struggle and they aren't proving me wrong, difference being with Villa is that they do have a big performance within them whilst a few of the teams around them don't .
    I think Wigan will be ok as they have trodden this path many times before, I know it sounds a bit obvious to say but I think any three from those currently in the bottom four will go down, thats QPR and Reading gone with Villa and Southampton fighting to avoid the last spot.
  3. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

Reading aren't getting out, & like i said yesterday even despite the 'arry factor QPR look fucked. he's lost the players already.
    s'oton have a bit of fight about them & they're our biggest dangers. Wigan will go at some point as they can't keep flirting with danger every season & get away with it, but we were down there last season so the same could be said for us. I found it funny when West Ham cried on going down as they'd been fighting it for years soI won't cry now. I've always thought it'd be close & I think we have just enough but its hard to say that at the moment. Obviously the Wigan result is a real knife in us, but they still won't be far away, & I've always thought West Ham could still collapse yet.
    They key for Villa id Dunne & Vlaar back & playing together. The cups could come at the right time for us, & the only other bright spot is that I'd rather have this run now than in April :unsure
  4. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

I've thought of another key for villa actually. I read somewhere that we are the lowest scorers in the prem this season & I think a major problem could be that someone might come in for Benteke in the window. The last 3 games hes shown to be a bit too eager & looked naive in getting caught offside a lot but apart from that he's been a very good signing for us. the problem is that we only paid 7 or 8 million so someone offering double could be a problem, particularly as apparently he thought he was joining a London club....I kid you not. If he is mysteriously missing from the team at Ipswich in the FA Cup next week it might be time to look at backing Villa for the drop :unsure particularly as it sounded a bit like Demba Ba to Chelsea sounded done & dusted earlier
  5. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

I don't think you can play for three different clubs in the same season. I hope Wiemann is on a good contract as he has been looking good in the last few games. I think we need two good centre backs in the transfer window and I would like to see Clark play in midfield rather than defence. I'm still hopeful - for now anyway.
  6. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

I'm still relatively confident & I feel Dunne & Vlaar can do the centre half bit. Vlaar is mobile enough that at least it wouldnt be like Dunne playing alongside Collins, which at times was like Evans & McNaught :unsure
  7. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

You're right about Benteke being unable to play for another club this season, although its rumoured Spurs want him in the summer
  8. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

Villa under evens, & only 5/1 to finish bottom :ohwell
  9. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

If anyones got any maps showing how to get to Gillingham & Port Vale I can probably get rid of them for you.....
  10. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

Been thinking about Lambert. Personally I want to see him stay but his stubbornness ala Wenger regarding the kids & his comment that hes only looking at 1 or 2 players in the window might hurt him. He's supposed to have been called in by Lerner after the Bradford match & if you look at the next 10 days weve got Albion away live, then if we get knocked out by Bradford in the 2nd leg, with 10 days of the month to go, i wouldnt be surprised if he goes.
    Just looked for a next manager to go market but couldnt see one, although Betvictor have a next permanent Villa manager market with Di Matteo @ 2/1 & 16/1 bar!! They know something? I would've took Hughes before & can see it actually, but i'm not sure now. i'd like to see Lambert stay but if form like this continues hes fucked
  11. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

1/3 hes gone by the last match :eek
  12. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

Best price 4/7 to be next manager to go, & if you take a very stingy Ladbrokes out of it they're 8/1 bar
  13. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

I want Lambert to succeed but it his constant tinkering and changing of tactics and playing players in different positions in each game that confuse me and it seems the players as well. He has been dealt a difficult hand of cards but playing a settled team for three or four games may be a start.
  14. Punter

Punter Moderator

Gus Poyet is the man for Villa, you should go get him.
  15. Kegman

Kegman Moderator

Why did PL leave Norwich ? he was worshipped there.
  16. SilviuR

SilviuR New Member

I believe that Reading and Wigan are the worst teams in Premier League this year. Reading have an awful goalkeeper, Federici, they have the worst possession and pass accuracy in the league. Progrebnyak and Le Fondre are not good enough to keep the team in the first league. Wigan just sells players year after year. And when you leave your best players go, there is no one to fight. And Ali Al-Habsi, probably most errors this season.

The fight will be between QPR and Aston Villa. Not sure if Redknapp has enough time to repair everything Hughes destroyed. I think they are solid now with Julio Cesar, Nelson and Hill in the defence, Taraabt in the middle and Remy in the attack. The question is if 5 points are to much to catch Lambert's failed project.
  17. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

Nelsons gone, played his last match
  18. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

I'd agree with Wigan SilviuR but I keep seeing flashes from Reading to suggest that they might make a fight of it. QPR are in a scrap to the bitter end and, as you say, Villa are well in the mix and showing no signs of improving unless they get hold of a couple of experienced players in the next few days to hold things together - and that doesn't look like it's going to happen.

I think the manager is benefiting from the fact that he's followed a shit manager from a local rival and has been getting more tolerance than he would normally have got but he's not doing himself any favours by his refusal to turn to experience at a time when he desperately needs it. It's one thing having faith in your own ability and principles but it's another to refuse to adapt something that's clearly failing to achieve.

I see Southampton being sucked back into the mix and if Fulham continue to put the (lack of) effort in that they showed yesterday, the 15 on betfair for relegation is going to look a decent prospect.
  19. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

Villa are in a big, big fight & its touch b& go whether we get away with it. Reading & S'oton have made a fight of it & sacking Atkins is either a masterstroke or a complete fuck up, no middle ground. I don't see anyone breaking away out of it but Fulham or West Ham, & possibly Norwich, could easily be added to the mix. Wigan have chanced it for years, everyone says how good Martinez is but he doesn't improve them & they're always in there
  20. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

the temptation regarding QPR is that losing Nelsen is big, as the fans were singing he was playing on his own under Hughes. 'Arry just seems to have lost more players than he's won over & his body language says that although they've improved a bit, he doesn't believe