1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

RIO Olympics

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by slick, Aug 19, 2016.

1. slick

slick Administrator

Wasn't too arsed about them before they started but I have to say since they did start all my usual telly stuff has been on the backburner.
    With us doing so well I've watched most events but do draw a line on the Horsey dancing events, funny walk race and synchronised swimming.

Apart from them I'll watch anything and have been doing, Team GB have done us proud this time round and congratulations to the womens Hockey team who played a blinder tonight, pity their Goalie wasn't in nets for England at the Euro's. She put Joe Hart to shame.

I've set my watch for the Taekwando @ 2.05am because we have somebody in that final and Good luck to Joe Joyce tomorrow night in the super heavies boxing, the guys just a machine and won't stop going forward no matter who he faces.
    Punter likes this.
  2. Punter

Punter Moderator

My mrs has been all over it, i haven't watched any, but i'm beginning to regret that.
  3. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Pleased to say I missed every single bit of it. To be fair, it was a bit easier to miss it this time than four years ago given the timing but I think I managed to avoid all but about half an hour of some showjumping shit last time (I was stuck in a pub in Gibralter and it was on the telly there) but this time I've broken my lifetime best.

Watching a bunch of people running around in circles (half of whom are on drugs - some we will never know about and some of which will come to light in a couple of years) is not for me. They may be the best on the planet at what they do but what they do is as boring as shit.

Hoorah, the Brits have won another medal! Brill! I think I'll treat myself to a wank on the back of that then.

To me, all the olympics is is an audition for the parade of people who I've never fucking heard of who are going to be advertising my breakfast cereal and car insurance for the next year and appearing on random chat shows and panel shows. Of course I won't know who they are but, then again, a month ago 99% of the country didn't have a clue who most of them were either. Speaking of which, that Chris Hoy bloke was on the telly the other day and revealed the fascinating facts about what he had for breakfast every day. Was it the breakfast cereal he gets paid to advertise? Was it fuck. So even when if they're not cheating on the track it turns out they're probably a bunch of lying fuckers anyway.

And don't even get me started on the Special Olympics. Fuck my tin hat! I can understand the merit of the olympic (well I could if it was actual athletes etc competing against other athletes rather than a competition to find the cleverest chemist) as even I can comprehend that there's something good about being the best on the planet at something but then you've got the Special Olympics for people who really aren't the best on the planet at something. If you've got one leg, you're never going to be the best on the planet at the 100 metres. running against other people with one leg and calling that an "olympic" event is, frankly, a slur on the very name.

Harsh, that may sound but don't get me wrong, I hope the whole concept catches on as I quite fancy the idea of winning a Booker Prize. The problem is that I'm shit at writing but I live in hope that they'll follow the lead of the Special Olympics and introduce a category for people who can't fucking write but are willing to put up a decent contest against other people who aren't really any good at writing either. I'll keep a little space on my mantlepiece just in case..
  4. slick

slick Administrator

I take that as a 'No' then :lol

Well if Richard Wilson doesn't pull through after his heart attack we know where we can find the next Victor Meldrew.
  5. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

I don't believe it!
  6. Howson

Howson Active Member

Your not on your own, id rather listening to fishing on the radio than watch the Olympics.
  7. Steve_uk

Steve_uk Well-Known Member BANNED

I think it's quite good entertainment on the whole, though a pity about the Time Zone and there are too many sports which are covered elsewhere such as football, tennis and golf.
  8. slick

slick Administrator

If you think that time zone is bad just wait until the next Olympics in Tokyo.
  9. Steve_uk

Steve_uk Well-Known Member BANNED

Whatever the time zone I might take early retirement if they replace Steve Cram with a robot.