1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Seen's big eye on the little world...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Seen, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

I know very little about science so this is a genuine question as this has me puzzled.

If someone asks me what "sex" I am the answer is Male - but if someone asks me what "gender" I am - is it a badly worded question - and if not what answer should I give ?
  2. Seen

Seen Moderator

It's complicated. So complicated, in fact, that the trans people often get confused about what they want to be/think they are.

'Male' and 'female' refer to biological sex - something that no amount of pretending or surgery can change (a male with his cock and balls chopped off isn't a female, it's a male with his cock and balls chopped off), while 'man' and 'woman' refer to gender, ie how you want to be perceived by others.

From wikipedia - "Gender is the range of characteristics pertaining to femininity and masculinity and differentiating between them."

Of course, for millennia the two have gone hand in hand but now the trans folk want to separate them completely and want everyone else to conform to this way of thinking too.

All of these arguments about trans men using women's toilets and participating in women's sports could be instantly ended by naming them biological male and female toilets / sports, but no-one in power seems to have thought of this yet.
    slick and winrew like this.
  3. slick

slick Administrator

Nicely answered Seen.
    I wouldn't have known where to begin.
    Seen likes this.
  4. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

I wonder if the NHS closing their "Bring your little boy in and we'll change him into a little girl" clinics is a sign that maybe the balance could be swinging back towards the more sensible rather than "I demand you respect my right to identify as a toaster and I want special toilets built for us toasters to use", shit.

We can only hope
    Seen likes this.
  5. Seen

Seen Moderator

The trans activists always like to play the victim card, stating that they are prevented from doing things that cis people (ie normal people) can, but when you ask them to specify what it is they are not allowed to do they can't give a proper answer. "Taking part in sports in their own gender group" is the usual answer, along with the usual bullshit about using women's toilets.

The funniest thing is when you ask them to define what a woman is, they can't do it. If we were asked the same question, we would simply reply "a female adult human", but they can't/won't do this as they steadfastly believe that a male adult human can also be a woman.
  6. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply Seen

So my sex or more accurately biological sex is Male and was decided on the day I was born and it can't be changed

However my gender

From wikipedia - "Gender is the range of characteristics pertaining to femininity and masculinity and differentiating between them."

apparently is my choice.

And here is where I think all the confusion and complications come - as in how exactly do you define a feminine or a masculine characteristic :thinking

I do not want to make light of the issue as I am sure to some people this is an important issue - Jan Morris being an example.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  7. Seen

Seen Moderator

The inclusion of the T in the LGBT movement has always baffled me. If, as we are told by the trans community, sex and gender are two completely separate things (sex being biological and gender being choice) and are not intrinsically linked (even though they have been since the beginning of human civilisation), then why are transgender people put in the same group as lesbians, gays and bisexuals (whose identities are solely defined by their sexual preferences)?

They reason that these are all marginalised groups of people who suffer from prejudice, but so do many others. I think a lot of LGB people are unhappy with being lumped together with the trans folk, and rightly so.
    slick and SAMOAN like this.
  8. slick

slick Administrator