1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Seen's daily Crazy Facts thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Seen, Nov 7, 2016.

1. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

See- you're talking bollock. I'd say mist people woukd be surprised by the number of people living in England who don't speak English
  2. winrew

winrew GILF

Pretty sure they have bugatti veyrons as police cars so that's probably true.
  3. traeth

traeth Moderator

my effort
    1. Police cars in Dubai can reach speeds of up to 253 mph.- true
    2. Ladybirds can fly as fast as racehorses can run. - difficult to believe but
    3. 1 in 8 Americans has been employed by McDonalds. - can't believe this one with the number of americans
    4. There are more stars in our galaxy than there are trees in the Amazon rainforest.- true - true
    5. Oasis are named after a leisure centre in Swindon.-heard on the radio last week that there was another group called oasis, I can believe this fact

I'm going with number three
  4. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

I lived in Germany for about 9 months in 1988-1989 and my experience was the opposite of yours in that I could count on the fingers of one hand the people who didn't speak english. Those that didn't were older than me. Even out of town centres I can't remember meeting anyone close to my age who didn't speak english

I live in England now but when I do go to Europe it's rare that I meet people under the age of 45 who don't speak english - and that includes visits to Spain.

So maybe I should say in my experience nearly everyone in Europe aged 45 or under speaks english very well. I reckon I have been to europe for at least a week every year for the last 25 years and had some sort of dialogue with at least 10 people under 45 each day which would come to approx 1750.
  5. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

Sorry Seen - missed this :embarassed

5 seems unbelievable at first glance
    3 and 4 seem believable
    2 - who knows?
    1 I suppose could be - it seems more likely than 5 though so 5 it is for me then
  6. Seen

Seen Moderator

7. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

I'll order a large slice of humble pie then and admit to being wrong.

After my last post I was going to admit it anyway as I realised I had overlooked Russia along with other former communist countries were I would imagine very few speak english

It appears though from Seens link this is the case throughout Europe :eek although I doubt the Germany figure of less than 40% for under 55's
  8. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

That German figure looks very low to me too. The figure for the Netherlands too.

Another list here, although it can't be sorted by age, that certainly fits more with the way I'd see things, with a figure of 90% in the Netherlands, and 70% in Germany.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_English-speaking_population

You have though still got the likes of Russia (5.48%), Spain (22%), Portugal (27%), etc.
  9. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

The figure that's usually quoted for racehorses is around 35 mph so I have to ask myself whether I think a ladybird can fly that fast. Mmmmmm, I don't know is my reply but I can easily believe it can be true. Flys can fucking shift can't they? Probably over a short distance then, I'd go for true.

Winrew has guided me to believing that 1 is true. Although I have to admit that it's the sort of crazy thing that sounds so daft that nobody would include in in a quiz type thingy if it wasn't true so I'd have come down in the "true" camp anyway.

1 in 8 Americans - nah. I'm sure the figure is huge (as are most Americans come to that) but one in 8? I'm thinking not.

4 is the opposite of the Police car one in that, it sounds so easy to believe that it's probably been picked to throw you the wrong way.

So I'm tossing a coin between the star one which I think is true (but probably isn't) and the Mcdonalds one which I think is false (and so probably is)

I'll stick with ......nah I can't abandon the thought that the star one has to be right so I have to go for the Mcdonalds one being false.
  10. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

The figure that's usually quoted for racehorses is around 35 mph so I have to ask myself whether I think a ladybird can fly that fast. Mmmmmm, I don't know is my reply but I can easily believe it can be true. Flys can fucking shift can't they? Probably over a short distance then, I'd go for true.

Winrew has guided me to believing that 1 is true. Although I have to admit that it's the sort of crazy thing that sounds so daft that nobody would include in in a quiz type thingy if it wasn't true so I'd have come down in the "true" camp anyway.

1 in 8 Americans - nah. I'm sure the figure is huge (as are most Americans come to that) but one in 8? I'm thinking not.

4 is the opposite of the Police car one in that, it sounds so easy to believe that it's probably been picked to throw you the wrong way.

So I'm tossing a coin between the star one which I think is true (but probably isn't) and the Mcdonalds one which I think is false (and so probably is)

I'll stick with ......nah I can't abandon the thought that the star one has to be right so I have to go for the Mcdonalds one being false.
  11. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

I remembered where I heard the thing about cells that I was burbling on about the other day. It was on an episode of "House". Yeah I know that it's a TV show but the writer is a proper consultant doctor type chappy. Can't remember the exact details but they were baffled by how some person was dying cos of something to do with an organ or some shit except....like....they'd.....like checked these organs and everything right? and....like....they were like fine and stuff so they were like.....bummer, what do we do now? dude's gonna die and shit and this House guy says like wooooooooah guys, we've checked the (whatever it was) but check for some shit or other and run a test and it like turns out that this geyser/chick who was on her way out had like a part formed other organ that was causing her body to do shit and fail and stuff (possibly Lupus. Lupus is mentioned in 1 in 3 of every house episodes) and it was because some cells had started to decide to do something and then changed their mind midway (probably female cells - It's there perrogative right?)

So yeah, pretty cool uh?
  12. Seen

Seen Moderator

Oh dear....ODM is going to be kicking himself.......

1. Police cars in Dubai can reach speeds of up to 253 mph. TRUE!
    2. Ladybirds can fly as fast as racehorses can run. TRUE!
    3. 1 in 8 Americans has been employed by McDonalds. TRUE!
    4. There are more stars in our galaxy than there are trees in the Amazon rainforest. FALSE!
    5. Oasis are named after a leisure centre in Swindon. TRUE!

~~~~~~~~

Sorry ODM, number 4 was indeed a double bluff :D

1. Well done Win - they do indeed have Bugatti Veyrons as police cars in Dubai.

2. Not only can ladybirds fly at 37 mph, they can fly for 74 miles in a single flight and reach heights of 3,600 feet :eek:

3. Incredible, but true -

https://www.reddit.com/r/IsItBullsh...ullshit_1_in_every_8_americans_has_worked_at/

However, our recently departed and sorely missed friend Steve_uk might have had an issue with this, as googling it seems to suggest that the original source states 1 in 8 American workers rather than just 1 in 8 Americans, which would be from a smaller sample size, knocking out all of the people too young to work and who have never worked. Even so, it's still a fascinating stat.

4. Number of stars in our galaxy = 100 billion. Number of trees in the Amazon rainforest = 390 billion :eek:

5. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oasis_Leisure_Centre
    Punter likes this.