1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Switzerland

Discussion in 'Eurovision 2012 Betting' started by Gavster, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Gavster

Gavster Novelty & Proud

2. Gavster

Gavster Novelty & Proud

Switzerland National Final tonight.

You can watch it live here http://www.sf.tv/ Expect a potential win for Lys Assia or Katherine St-Laurent (I haven't mentioned the latter)
  3. Gavster

Gavster Novelty & Proud

The popular band won, over quality acts, with a poor man's Killers tribute. The song is abysmal. The structure is all over the place. How many bridges does this song have? Fucking woeful.

There were potentially 2-3 qualifiers in their national selection and they go and pick this crap.

Non Qualifier.
  4. Steve_uk

Steve_uk Well-Known Member BANNED

It reminds us that Switzerland has four languages in a small country of only six million people,and at school English evidently came down low on the list for this guy. The song is quite catchy and the lyrics themselves aren't too bad: "Swim against the stream,following your wildest dream..unbreakable"..but unless someone employs a speech coach for him nobody will understand a word. This reminds me of another lyrics issue ten years ago in Tallin,where Francine Jordi sang "Come into my tunnel.."..this has been subsequently translated as "Come into my garden" but if you listen to the live performance on the night it's evident from the guffaws in the audience that some French-speakers got the joke.
  5. Rob44

Rob44 Member

i thought it was ok, catchy, and yeah a killers rip off... i expect something similarly plaigerised from denmark...

...but... ahem, it's switzerland... fuckin' no hope!

btw when i said it was ok i need also to qualify that with the information i'm pissed up on single malt whishy atm...

so pleased xfactor has finished and eurovision is here... keep it coming.
  6. Gavster

Gavster Novelty & Proud

So how come you slags haven't contributed to escbet yet? If you want to write some stuff on there let me know and I'll make you a contributor account. Otherwise... just get commenting there too
  7. Beanie

Beanie Active Member

I'm more with Rob on this one...it's got a little bit of instant appeal/memorability and should sound ok in the arena.

You'd stick this down as a 5/10 effort and as such whether it qualifies or not will depend entirely on the quality around it. Chances are that it wont as Switzerland need a lot better than 5/10 to qualify.
  8. Gavster

Gavster Novelty & Proud

Any apparent quality is lost after 55 seconds Beanie. He reaches the first of many bridges and as Steve, right points out, his spoken English is dire. The juries will punish this song, leaving only their usual support, which being frank, is nil!

Here's the full 3 minute version anyway. This was the original video I posted, but changed to the National Final version without realising it was only 2 minutes long. It more obvious in this song, just how disjointed it seems. He's also miming, so don't be fooled by the improved quality.
  9. Rob44

Rob44 Member

missed this one. too derivative to make an impact. doubt it can qualify.
  10. Gavster

Gavster Novelty & Proud

This is sounding better and is certainly teetering towards qualification.
  11. Steve_uk

I can't tell much difference;in some ways it seems to be worse..those handclaps engaging with the audience are always a mistake..remember Jemini 2003 and Lindsay's 2001 choreographers..
  12. Gavster

Gavster Novelty & Proud

The BAKU version will be more choreographed than that Steve. Eurovision in Concert is more informal and engaging.
  13. Steve_uk

I'm still waiting to be convinced;if this is supposed to drum up votes before the semis they're cutting it fine,even with the Petula Clark elocution lessons and the sniff at 0.05 I would save my Swiss francs if I were you..
  14. Gavster

Gavster Novelty & Proud

"Live from the Ukrainian final"

That was ages ago Steve.

Granted, it's a dreadful performance - truly awful, but I think his vocal has come on a bit since then. I'll be tuning into rehearsals to witness how much they've improved this time next week - in the meantime Steve, I would look for more recent videos if I were you.