1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Terror in Nice

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Colbro, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Steve_uk

Steve_uk Well-Known Member BANNED

Have you been typing on your phone again ODM? Anyway I withdraw "similar method" as it did mislead. I suppose the Warrington bin bombs were our fault because some fool in the Samaritans charity shop managed to get the message wrong.

Shortly before midday on 20 March 1993, The Samaritans in Liverpool received a bomb warning by telephone. According to police, the caller said only that a bomb had been planted outside a Boots shop.[6][7][8] Merseyside Police sent officers to branches of Boots in Liverpool and warned the Cheshire Constabulary, who patrolled nearby Warrington.[7] About 30 minutes later, at about 12:25,[8][9][10][11] two bombs exploded on Bridge Street in Warrington, about 100 yards (91 m) apart.[7] The blasts happened within a minute of each other.[9] One exploded outside Boots and McDonald's,[7] and one outside the Argos catalogue store.[1] The area was crowded with shoppers. Witnesses said that shoppers fled from the first explosion into the path of the second.[1] It was later found that the bombs had been placed inside cast-iron litter bins, causing large amounts of shrapnel.[11] Buses were organized to ferry people away from the scene and 20 paramedics and crews from 17 ambulances were sent to deal with the aftermath.[1]

Three-year-old Johnathan Ball died at the scene. He had been in town with his babysitter, shopping for a Mother's Day card.[1] The second victim, 12-year-old Tim Parry, was gravely wounded. He died on 25 March 1993 when doctors switched his life support machine off, having asked permission to do so from his family, after tests had found minimal brain activity.[6] Fifty-four other people were injured, four of them seriously.[5]

The Provisional IRA issued a statement the day after the bombing, acknowledging its involvement but saying:

Responsibility for the tragic and deeply regrettable death and injuries caused in Warrington yesterday lies squarely at the door of those in the British authorities who deliberately failed to act on precise and adequate warnings.[12]

A day later, an IRA spokesman said that "two precise warnings" had been given "in adequate time", one to the Samaritans and one to Merseyside Police.[8] He added: "You don't provide warnings if it is your intention to kill".[11] Cheshire's assistant chief constable denied there had been a second warning and said:

Yes, a warning was given half-an-hour before, but no mention was made of Warrington. If the IRA think they can pass on their responsibility for this terrible act by issuing such a nonsensical statement, they have sadly underestimated the understanding of the British public.[8]
  2. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Fuck me that's two shocks I never expected in the space of a month. First the Brexit vote and now Steve admitting he was talking shite.

The world is indeed a changing place.
  3. Steve_uk

I think you're a Blood Type B like Jeffrey Macdonald, or at least an O. On the positive side I'm glad this site is finally attracting a wave of new members.
  4. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Is it? Don't worry I'll soon piss them off.
  5. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

That's what we love about you ODM - you take your responsibilities so seriously :thumb
  6. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

I look at it as a rite of passage mate. If you can put up with my abuse and Steve's endless boring fucking drivel then you have probably earned yourself a place at the round table of Betnod.
  7. Punter

Punter Moderator

8. Steve_uk

My initial thoughts: that's gratitude for giving you a life you could only dream about coming from Afghanistan with nothing in your pocket.. will George Galloway explain this away again as someone with mental health issues and nothing to do with Islam, when all the evidence is the vast majority of mentally ill people are far more a risk to themselves than others.. thirdly I think Merkel's days are numbered.