1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

The Christmas Thread...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by winrew, Dec 23, 2011.

1. slick

slick Administrator

Merry Christmas to everybody too, I'm still a bit down in the dumps with the dog passing and all that so I'd like to thank Man United for cheering me up no end last night.
    Punter likes this.
  2. winrew

winrew GILF

Happy Christmas folk. On nights, silly money offered.
    Punter likes this.
  3. Seen

Seen Moderator

Merry Xmas everyone!

This is the time of year to eat, drink and reflect upon how lucky you all are to have me on this forum.

:dance
    Punter, slick and Kegman like this.
  4. Punter

Punter Moderator

Anyone have any Christmas hangovers from hell yet? Do or say anything that made you cringe like fuck the next day? Punch a relative, maybe?

I've managed to keep it real so far, no damage done, only had about 12 pints and 4 shots total.
    Out the next 3 nights though, plenty of time for me to fuck things up.

Fair play to my eldest, cooked 15 of us a 3 course Christmas dinner and got it all perfect. A good Xmas so far.
    slick likes this.
  5. slick

slick Administrator

Same as you Punt in keeping it real (to date), been drinking like a fish though for the last fortnight, wouldn't like to think how much that was if I converted it to pints and shots.

Credit to your eldest Punt, cooking for 15 is no mean feat, I always cook at Christmas and this year there was only 6 of us which was hard work enough because three of those have turned into Vegans over the last 12 months lol.
    Still it meant more meat and proper gravy for us carnivores.
    Punter likes this.
  6. Punter

Punter Moderator

I wouldn't know where to start when it comes to cooking a proper dinner. As for vegans though, i just wouldn't entertain them, family or not. What do they think god gave them teeth for?
  7. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Had one day off the beer out of the last nine but no hangovers. Don't know why but I just don't seem to get them any more. Last night was a monster -ended up standing at the bar drinking shorts and thinking why the fuck am I even bothering but once we'd had one, we had to all get a round so ....... Feeling a bit tired today.

Spent a stupid amount of money and probably damaged my internal organs. Daft.

On the other side of the coin, I've had a few family get-togethers and enjoyed them so, yeah, I class this as a good Xmas.

Didn't know whether to post this next bit but I will just to put things into perspective - heard this morning that the girlfriend of the son of someone I know has died in a car crash. Crash was Wednesday but she's been in intensive care. Don't know if it's the booze but I felt quite emotional when I heard about it. He's a lovely lad and was in the same class as my boy at school so maybe that had something to do with it too. Shit happens all year round but it just seems so much more cruel at this time of the year. The poor lad must be in bits, not to mention her family.

Anyway, sorry to put a downer on things but it's worth reflecting on how lucky we are sometimes. Life is such a cunt.
  8. Punter

Punter Moderator

Ah that's shit. Life and Christmas will never be the same again for them. You here it every year at this time of year.

Not heard of anything like that round here this year but i was told by my step sister, just before xmas, that my dad has got cancer. We've not spoke in over 25 yrs, maybe closer 30, so it's not really affected me too much. I wish him no harm and hope he beats it but at the same time i've no desire to go see him. I tried many yrs ago, despite difficult circumstances but once he re married he changed beyond belief and pretty much wanted nothing to do with us.
    He's not bothered with or seen any of my three kids grow up, never bothered with their birthdays and xmas. Not been to see me once, not even rang me once and while this angered me for more than a decade i've been over it for a long long time now. He pretty much died way back then.
  9. Seen

Seen Moderator

Fuck me, this thread has taken a turn for the worse :eek

Sad stories, guys. I may as throw one in for the hat trick, although it's not a personal loss. On 23rd Dec a local lad (28) went missing after a night out with his footy mates, last seen at around 4.15am. His girlfriend put on Facebook that she'd traced his phone to outside the pub he was last in, and then, oddly, a recycling plant in Houghton, around 5 miles away.

His body was found the next day at the recycling plant. Turns out that he climbed inside a recycling bin and fell asleep (must have been completely blotto) which then got emptied a few hours later and took to the plant. Sad news, by all accounts he was a very decent lad, leaves a 2 year old daughter behind.
    slick likes this.
  10. Punter

Punter Moderator

11. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

That happens more often than you might think. I heard an article on the radio where a woman who'd lost her son (it's usually either lads who are pissed or, more often, homeless people trying to find somewhere warm and dry to sleep). She was trying to get a campaign up to force them to put locks on them so that it couldn't happen but that's never going to happen.

Only a couple of weeks ago a new born baby was found dumped in one as well. Sad.
  12. Seen

Seen Moderator

Apparently it is the law for companies to keep their bins locked, but they rarely are...

"Firms are reminded of their duties under the Environmental Protection Act for the security of their waste and it must be kept secure and locked at all times."

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/la...nquest-industrial-waste-bin-crush-death-biffa

"In the last 12 months we have recorded 100 incidents where we found people in waste containers and got them out." :eek:
  13. slick

slick Administrator

Happy New year Y'all

Off to the lads tonight to bring in the New year, don't think it's a party or anything just a quiet drink with the family although I've fcuking heard that before lol.
    Punter likes this.
  14. Punter

Punter Moderator

First NYE out in 19 yrs due to kids.

Fucking steaming!
  15. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

just in bed. Good to hear you’re celebrating with the lad Slick.

I’ve been to an organised meal and stuff at a pub for the first time in about ten years and probably drank less than i ever have so willl be ok for another session tomorrow (off work tuesday)

happy new year chaps
  16. Kegman

Kegman Moderator

All the best :beer

Played golf yesterday in a howling gale and went to pub for 5 hours then back home for a couple but was tucked up in bed by 11pm. Tv was fucking rank.

Cider is flowing today watching the sport whilst listening to 80's music

Let's hope 2018 is a blast !!!

:beer
    Punter likes this.
  17. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Traditional New Years Day session. Dread going out but ends up being one of the best sessions of the holiday season.

Pissed (obviously) so I love you all!
    slick and Kegman like this.
  18. slick

slick Administrator

Nice one ODM, didn't drink much New Yrs eve, I think the ale caught up with me because I just felt fcuked.
    I was at a party Fri Night and got totally blottoed, most I've drank for a long while , I don't think I was fully recovered from that.

Back in work tomorrow, roll on Easter for my next break.
  19. Seen

Seen Moderator

When all the fireworks were going off at midnight on New Years Eve, I was out walking the dogs :unsure
  20. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

Happy New Year to you all :beer

Christmas doesn't really finish until the 6th January over here, so still loads of kids wandering the streets and letting off firecrackers all evening. Quite a few dog owners around here are having real trouble with their dogs as they're terrified of the bangs. We're lucky with our dog though, she really doesn't care less about them, they'll make me jump, she doesn't even flinch.

Having said that, if we see any of the stray cats that live on the streets near here, she shits herself :lol
    Punter likes this.