1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

The Olympic Opening Ceremony

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Punter, Jul 23, 2012.

1. slick

slick Administrator

I thought the lighting of the torch and those leggy gas lamps all joining up was a nice touch too, very original, 10/10 for artistic impression imo.
  2. Yorkieacer

Yorkieacer BEST GAMBLER IN WORLD

who lit the torch? Just watching the news now and its got some of it on i liked those rings and the fireworks
  3. Punter

Punter Moderator

7 up and coming young olympians i think it was Yorkie. Nobody famous yet anyway.
  4. traeth

traeth Moderator

I thought the Czech Republic joined in with the humour wearing those blue wellies and brollies

I enjoyed the opening ceremony , I thought that using up and coming youngsters nominated by seven olympic greats was a great message , the industrial revolution bit with the forging of the olympic rings was superb , the Bond clip with the Queen made me laugh and was typical of British humour , we even had the toilet humour from Rowan Atkinson at the end of his bit.

p.s. what are they doing with the olympic flame ? they can't leave it as it is in the middle of the stadium
  5. slick

slick Administrator

That crossed my mind too, I haven't got a scooby.

I forgot about the Czechs and their wellies:lol
  6. Yorkieacer

Yorkieacer BEST GAMBLER IN WORLD

Ah thanks, bet that pissed everyone off who had bets on redgrave
  7. Steve_uk

Steve_uk Well-Known Member BANNED

Daniel Craig is chauffeured from his £4million Regent Park’s flat the short distance to the Mall,the wrought-iron gates of Buckingham Palace swing open,he crunches gravel and enters the Grand Hall,walks erect past the gilded coving and ivory-paned walls,then ascends the marble staircase past the piano nobile into the State Apartments,one for each of Her Majesty’s children.

The Queen,never formally educated, is seated at a Georgian red walnut bureau polished to perfection, makes a half-turn, acknowledges her guest with a half nod and deposes the writing implement, this insidious farce continuing as she accompanies James Bond on a flight through Tower Bridge,still standing despite government foreign policy, Churchill comes alive as the Establishment once again contains us with delusions of grandeur, rebuffing foreigners at every opportunity with its hybrid Britain’s Finest Hour and Cold War tunnel vision,then smokestack Britain for a moment,as the Windsors delude themselves once again into thinking that they can still look the East End in the face.
  8. winrew

winrew GILF

The world of Steve must be a f**king awful place to live ..
  9. Seen

Seen Moderator

I like him!!
  10. Punter

Punter Moderator

I was just thinking the same.

It's the Olympics, here in Britain! You could try being a bit more "It's a Knockout" about it.

Give us some Stuart Hall commentary FFS!

[​IMG]

Legend. You could learn alot from him Steve. Be Happy.
  11. Steve_uk

I met Stuart Hall once on the London train. He ascended at Wilmslow with his wife as all the monied people do,but looked furtive as he came into the second class compartment. As for Jeux Sans Frontières,I think this game sums up Britain's diplomatic skills in the past 50 years..
    Punter likes this.
  12. slick

slick Administrator

Back in the day I'd say It's a knockout was bigger than the Olympics.
    It was in our house anyhow.

I was never keen on the national version of the game but I thought the International Jeux Sans Frontières was fun to behold.
  13. slick

slick Administrator

Well done to the Gymnasts aswell , thought they were brilliant tonight and very unlucky not to bag a silver, British gymnastics has come along way since tipple overs and star jumps.
  14. winrew

winrew GILF

Watched the Gym stuff , excellent performance.
    Did anyone see the female Thai weightlifter ? If that didn't have a set of knackers i will eat hay with a horse.

Funny in the club last night , rugby on one telly and swimming on the other , most folk were watching swimming ,, :unsure
  15. Punter

Punter Moderator

:lol
  16. slick

slick Administrator

lol.

I've been watching the Swimming too, in fact I've been watching most sports that has any GB Interest, it's just a pity were shite at most things and aren't in most comps for more than 5 minutes.
    I've also got into a bad habit of switching over every couple of mins from one sport to another due to all the new Olympic tv channels the BBC has provided much to the annoyance of the wife.
  17. slick

slick Administrator

Well I take 'we're shite at most things' back.
    I've been pretty impressed by our performances in most events and never expected us to win so many medals with many more to come no doubt. It's the biggest haul of medals I've ever seen for GB.
  18. Steve_uk

With the three commentators eminence grise Brendan Foster,mothers' darling Steve Cram and new found BBC sex symbol Matt Baker my Geordie accent has come on leaps and bounds-aye lad. What is sadder is the loss of middle- distance running once dominated by the likes of Crammie,Steve Ovett and Sebastian Coe,who whilst ostensibly encompassing every socio-economic cohort have failed to build the depth Britain needs at international level. It is still the case that the majority of British Olympic medallists emanate from our public(which means private) schools,and whilst not denigrating in any way their hard work and effort I find it saddening and incomprehensible that the remaining 93% of our schoolchildren are not capable of attaining similar feats in a sport which needs only a sport’s kit,a pair of running shoes and willpower to succeed.
  19. winrew

winrew GILF

Here comes Steve putting a f**king downer on everything as per usual !!
  20. traeth

traeth Moderator

What a load of rubbish , that's a "daily fail" comment

if you deducted the rowing and equestrian those figures would be more realistic , the figures are distorted because of the team factor , the equestrian is a team event but only one gold medal in the table , the rowers are pairs , quad and eights.

it is true that we are good at the "sitting down " events of cycling , rowing, sailing , equestrian but you can't expect us to be any good at handball, basketball , volleyball , beach volleyball [ we can't concentrate and perve at the same time] and ping pong [ even some of the european countries had oriental competitors representing them]

I'm enjoying this olympics and think that G.B and N.I. have done exceptional, this is from someone who was negative before the start of the olympics