1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

The Paedophile Hunter - 10pm tonight

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Seen, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Seen

Seen Moderator

This should be worth a watch...

This guy (Stinson Hunter) started appearing on Facebook around a year ago, I very nearly started a thread on here about him back then to see what other Betnod members thought of his methods, but then decided against it as it was long odds-on that no fucker would bother to reply :ohwell (General Chat was even quieter then than it is now (hard to believe, I know) - the only thread being posted on was the one involving SteveUK (RIP)).

Anyway, basically what this guy does is he goes in to online chatrooms posing as a young underage girl/boy and when the dirty paedos befriend them and then turn up at their homes for a bit of lolita action, he jumps out with his video camera to catch them.

Written like that, it sounds like a good job done, the more nonces exposed the better, the safer our kids are. Except, the reality is quite a bit different...

First of all, and perhaps crucially to the morality of his methods, these 'sting' operations do not take place in 'teen' chatrooms (you know, where kids tend to hang out) but on 18+ Adult Only dating sites like Plenty of Fish etc (you know, for adults). So these men who he is targeting are NOT ACTIVELY looking for kids to groom, but looking for adult companionships/adult sex. This is the main bone of contention I have here.

What he then does is start chatting with these guys under the guise of a pretty girl (he uses a photo of an 18+ year old for his profile pic and puts 'her' age as 18+), and when the 'mark', no doubt immensely flattered by the attention of a sexy young girl, responds and starts chatting away, the snare begins.

Stinson Hunter always drops in to the conversation along the way that 'she' is, in fact, only 15/14/13/12 etc and that 'no doubt that will put you off'. Of course, any rationally thinking man should, at this point, say "it's been nice chatting but you're too young and really shouldn't be on here, bye", and no doubt many do (we don't hear about them and SH doesn't tell the ratio of success and failure) but some carry on the conversation regardless. Some of these lead to the mark saying obscene things and sending naked pics etc and some even go as far as arranging a meet, obviously with sex in mind.

The meetings/confrontations are filmed and uploaded to youtube and facebook, and the chats/photos/video handed over to the police.

Now, I'm not saying these guys haven't done anything wrong, they obviously have (especially the dirty fuckers who turn up with presents and condoms thinking they're going to take away a prepubescent's virginity) and I certainly don't feel sorry for them at all, BUT, it does seem like SH is going after the wrong type, taking the easy option. Not to mention the murky legality of the honeytrap (apparantly it's only illegal if the police do it).

As I've said, every single one of these blokes has signed up to an ADULT dating site, so there is no evidence whatsoever that they are a predatory paedophile. Yes, they are almost certainly sad, pathetic and desperate individuals but being in that state of mind you are obviously going to be more susceptible to temptation. Had SH not created these fake accounts, would any underage child have been targetted by these men? Would any have been sexually assaulted? You would have to say probably not.

If Stinson Hunter REALLY wants to save kids from being abused, why doesn't he target the real dangerous predators who deliberately target and groom young kids by going in to teen chatrooms or on facebook posing as young teens themselves, or, dare I say (and run the risk of being arrested for using words intended or likely to stir up racial hatred), the pakistani paedo gangs in the midlands?

Another thing which bothered me about SH is that early on in his crusade he seemed to let his guard drop - he posted on facebook something along the lines of "I have another video here of a guy who arrived thinking he was meeting a 14 year old girl - if this status gets 100 likes then I'll post it". Now, if this was all about protecting kids then what should it matter how many likes his facebook post got? It's not a fucking competition with internet celebrity as the main prize.

He also posts the videos non-censored, exposing the faces, names and areas where the guys live, before they have even been arrested let alone found guilty in a court of law. We all know how dangerous vigilantism is and doing this is putting innocent people (the guy's families) at risk. One bloke killed himself last year after being caught and exposed by SH.

Rather predictably, he has a large following on facebook, and each of his posts have the usual mob mentality replies. Anyone who suggests his methods might be morally and/or legally dubious are set upon and accused of being pro-paedophilia.

The police have decided they want him to stop doing what he is doing, although they seemed willing to help until one of their own got caught (he didn't get charged, surprise surprise).

The programme tonight will be interesting.
    Punter likes this.
  2. winrew

winrew GILF

Vigilantes , i remember that they vandalised a paediatricians house in Wales , thanks to The Sun.
    Wont be watching the programme , not sure i agree with the methods involved , presumption of guilt and all that.
    Punter likes this.
  3. slick

slick Administrator

I've just set it to tape, cheers Seen.
    Can't say I agree with his methods in full for the same reason Seen mentions but I Suppose if It stops just one child being abused then it's worth it.
    The only thing that bothers me is that with his method the child seems to be grooming the perpetrator, when in effect you should be looking for adults grooming kids.

I don't know; because of the nature of the subject it's a hard one to say whether his methods are right or wrong.
  4. slick

slick Administrator

Just had a look at some of the vids on his facebook page and I take back what I said, he's doing a grand job.
    He's quite a level headed guy, how he keeps his composure I don't know.
    It's not like in the sting the child encourages anything sexual, usually they just drop the line I'm a child of such an age and I suppose now you don't want to be friends. Then what happens next is left to the other party and how they take if from there.
    I've also noticed they tend to snaffle the ones sending nudes pics of themselves, he has them bang to rights in my book.
  5. Seen

Seen Moderator

Yeah, I agree mate, the guys in the videos have no real excuses and deserve all they get. I didn't mean to come across as defending them if I did. If you go further and read the transcripts of the text conversations then some of these guys are really disgusting fuckers, the stuff they say to what they believe is a very young girl (as young as 11).

It's a real tricky one though, no sympathy AT ALL for the blokes caught but there are definite consequences which question the morality of the approach he uses. He clearly enjoys catching these individuals for personal reasons (SPOILER ALERT - he more or less admits to having been abused as a child himself) but there's also definitely an air of desperation to be famous to him too. At least he's becoming well-known for good reasons rather than just being a benefit-claiming workshy fat fucker like her off Benefit Street.
  6. Seen

Seen Moderator

7. slick

slick Administrator

I was watching it go up before my eyes Seen.
    He's got a live feed on youtube going on at the moment...
  8. Topdog

Topdog Moderator

Interesting watch

Good opening post Seen
  9. Seen

Seen Moderator

Reading the forums it seems most feel the same as I do - in that they are glad to see the sick bastards caught and outed but at the same time question the tactics SH uses.

SH definitely has issues - he was abused as a child (probably in a care home) so this is almost certainly some kind of payback for him. His reaction to the news of the teacher being found guilty was more about him than it was about protecting children. He was emotionally overwhelmed by the fact a court of law believed him (a 'nobody') over a respected teacher.

I dunno - this kickstarter campaign, the craving for facebook followers/likes, last nights live Q & A feed - it all smacks of him being on some kind of internet-fame power trip, and he knows fine well that not many are going to be brave enough to question his motives.

This article here http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/oct/25/vigilante-paedophile-hunters-online-police is interesting reading, especially for those who watched the documentary last night. The majority of the guys caught were clearly guilty and their excuses were bullshit, but this article suggests all is not always as it seems. You wonder exactly what is not being shown and how these videos have been edited. The video of the guy called Sam was, for instance, made to look like he turned up at the house expecting to meet an 11 year old girl, yet he had actually already been to the police after refusing to meet the 'girl' and SH had threatened to expose their chats, and turned up to try and clear his name.

10. Steve_uk

Steve_uk Well-Known Member BANNED

RIP yourself. 90% of child abuse victims know the perpetrator. If you wish to report on gimmicks such as this,that's your business.https://www.dosomething.org/facts/11-facts-about-child-abuse
  11. Seen

Seen Moderator

Ooh, get you!

What percentage of ONLINE child abuse victims know the perpetrator, Steve?
  12. Steve_uk

I would assume that they fall within the 10% of abuse cases. Stop taking a confrontational approach when all of us on this site want to combat this issue.
  13. Seen

Seen Moderator

How is this relevant to the discussion here, and what point are you trying to make?
  14. Steve_uk

..that Stinson Hunter will at the very most catch a small fraction of paedophiles who put young children and teenagers at risk.
  15. Seen

Seen Moderator

And how is that relevant to the discussion? I've asked how people feel about his methods, not whether he's going to single-handedly solve the UK paedophile problem, you stupid fuck.
  16. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

And the police will catch a minuscule amount of people who commit crime. Are you suggesting that they shouldn't bother because they can't hope to catch them all?
  17. Steve_uk

I sat through twelve minutes of that video with very little knowledge gained. The question you have to answer is: is Stinson Hunter catching real paedophiles or is he increasing the totality of crime with his entrapment of men who would otherwise not come into contact with law enforcement?
  18. Seen

Seen Moderator

I've already asked that question in my opening post, you would know that if you'd bothered to read it :duh
  19. Steve_uk

You did discuss the honeytrap and its "murky legality",but I doubt you have any figures. I might just add for parents out there faced with the job of supervising their children's internet use,that a paedophile can be anyone in the community:the doctor,the teacher,the swimming pool attendant,the Scoutmaster,the priest,the friendly neighbour who helps you to move in. I'm sorry for the adults who freely give up their leisure time and put themselves out for children,but this is what the world has become,and is the disturbing downside of the permissive society and the small minority who have taken advantage of it for illicit ends.
  20. slick

slick Administrator

I got that feeling too, I could see where he was coming from though and it even left a lump in my throat.