1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

The Tragedy that was Iraq

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Steve_uk, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Steve_uk

Steve_uk Well-Known Member BANNED

President Barack Obama in his role as Commander-in -Chief of American armed forces tells the world today that after almost nine years of occupation they have left behind a "sovereign,stable and self-reliant Iraq". Colonel Richard Kemp of the British Joint Intelligence Committee informs us that it's a difficult matter to judge,but Iraq under Saddam was an international sponsor of terrorism,and that when we look back in the context of the time then yes,the war was worth it.

I'm not sure what context Colonel Kemp is referring to.We had the first Gulf War in 1990 in which the West had contained Saddam. We had the United Nations Oil for Food Programme. We had the 9/11 attacks perpetrated by former friends of President Bush, which led to the invasion of Afghanistan,then came the weapons of mass destruction claim leading to the invasion and occupation of Iraq.

This was already a sovereign country when the USA and Britain invaded it. True,it was a dictatorship,but it's strange that you can leave behind a sovereign country you found upon entry. There are still five hundred of its people being slaughtered every month,so the country is hardly stable. As for being self-reliant,it's a bit rich for our forces to destroy Iraq's infrastructure and replace it with nothing,then expect a Shiite government in Baghdad dominated by a resurgent Iran to be self-reliant.Ah,but you might say, the evil dictator Saddam has now gone and the country is a democracy,and freedom of speech is worth its weight in gold,isn't it?

The same arguments were put before Brutus in Shakespeare's Julius Caesar,and we know where that ended up. The truth is there is no real freedom of speech in today's Iraq;people are just too frightened. They are trapped within close proximity of their own homes for the most part,not knowing whether they are talking to Kurds,Shiites,Sunnis,anti or pro-American forces. On all objective testing from UNICEF to the WHO to the UN Secretary General at the time Kofi Annan,on every benchmark of health,education,security and jobs Iraq is worse off today than under Saddam Hussein. There are 4 million refugees,1.5 million dispaced persons,a similar number of war widows, 1 million orphans and 1 million Iraqis dead.

"I think this is a very hard choice" asserted US Secretary of State Madeleine Albright on 60 Minutes,discussing her role in the United Nations Oil for Food Programme on May 12 1996,"but we think the price is worth it". The price,as she called it,was the 500,000 Iraqi children who died 1990-2003 due to this policy and its incompetent implementation. The truth is that the West had backed itself into a corner,it sought revenge for the 9/11 attacks and lawyers conspired with politicians to seek out what it saw to be a soft target,namely Iraq and the bonus of its vast oil fields.
  2. ubique

ubique Member

Erudite but verbose... Interesting but not compelling... lacks intimacy... You are not talking to us... You are force-feeding us your opinions. Keep it up but try to make it more palatable word-wise. Oh....and I don't agree with a lot of your slant on things.:thumb
  3. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Blimey Ubique, you get everywhere.
  4. ubique

ubique Member

True...and why not! .. You and many others on here are not unknown to me. :lookaround
  5. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Oh right. Well you're welcome to hang around. Obviously we don't know what past histories you have with anyone on here, if any at all, but make yourself at home and welcome to Betnod:thumb
  6. Steve_uk

Whilst in no way chastened by your remarks I would concede that this article was derivative. Not wishing to evoke a deeper poignancy which the death of half a million infants might evince it is expressed in matter-of-fact tones throughout,though I have to say I would have taken further cognizance of your remarks had you proffered the merest counter-argument.
  7. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

Sponsored by thesaurus.com

Using 'clever' words doesn't make you clever Steve.
  8. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Strange think is (and I'm not sure if this is a factor of the human brain or a result of desensitisation caused by media overload) but I don't bat an eyelid when I hear about half a million Iraqi children dying. Not an eyelid. Whereas, if I see a small child in the street slapped by his mother (even though I know the little shit may deserve it and putting aside the legality of it) it makes me sad.
  9. Steve_uk

I used five fairly short paragraphs to present my arguments, which do rely to a large extent on external sources,though the conclusion is my own work and may resonate with some readers.
  10. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

Never! :wink