1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

The week that was

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by slick, Jun 24, 2017.

1. slick

slick Administrator

One for Komp b4 bed...
  2. Punter

Punter Moderator

Bit of a shit start to the week. We had to have our cat put down last night :cry

I didn't think it would get to me too much as we wern't always best of pals, but i'm choked.

The family pet for 16 yrs. Obviously the Mrs and youngest are devastated. I had to bury her this morning. We'll never have another cat again, it just wouldn't be the same.

In better news, my eldest has sent off adoption forms today so i could be a grandad again this time next year.. They're trying for a girl this time.
    rcgills, slick and Topdog like this.
  3. slick

slick Administrator

Sorry to hear that Punt, I still get upset when I think of my dog that got put down at Christmas, more so when i come home from work and open the door and still think she's there to greet me, the silence when I walk in the door takes some getting used to.

They're fcuking pests when here with us lol but solely missed when they've gone.

Good luck with the adoption too mate and I wish them all the best of luck.
    Punter likes this.
  4. slick

slick Administrator

Actually last week my daughters boyfriends parents went away and they were left to mind their two dogs (also jack russels) and when I came back from the pub last weekend she had brought them back to my house reservedly because she didn't know how I would react.

I was over the moon and they stayed a couple of days and took a shine to me even getting in my bed lol and kipping with me after the first night.
    It made me realise though by the time they went back home what fcuking hard work they are and I won't be getting another dog anytime soon:lol
    Punter likes this.
  5. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

Sorry to hear about your cat, Punter, and your dog too Slick (remember seeing a few posts from you in the past about how she was struggling, but think I must've missed the one when you had her put down).
    Punter and slick like this.
  6. slick

slick Administrator

7. Punter

Punter Moderator

Ha! Did i mention i fell out with my gaffer last year, we both got a written warning, i refused to work with him ever again and got moved to a different department?
    Well they sacked him today :lol:clap Prick grabbed a female member of staff by the throat.
    32k a year and 80k DICS money gone in one temper :lol:lol

I dont normally enjoy sackings but this one is a brilliant start to my week.
    Kegman, slick, Topdog and 1 other person like this.
  8. SAMOAN

SAMOAN Moderator

Great news Punt. I may be a touch sick, but always enjoyed watching these sorts clear out their desk. I feel that these types eventually get what's coming to them, but the odd one always squirms out of it.
    Punter likes this.
  9. Punter

Punter Moderator

Yes, i was beginning to think he'd made a bloody good living by being a complete arsehole and making people miserable for the rest of his days but he got what he deserved. He's 54 and fucked now.
    I've worked factory and warehouse floors for over 35 yrs and he was by far the nastiest wanker i'd ever had for a department leader.
  10. SAMOAN

SAMOAN Moderator

Despite being all this and probably worse, I assume he had his share of cohorts / boot lickers ?
  11. Punter

Punter Moderator

Yeah they always do dont they. Even they turned against him in the end though and one of them was one he grabbed by the throat.

It makes me happy that it doesn't matter who their next boss is, i know that there are seven people in the warehouse department who are going to be much happier at work.
    SAMOAN likes this.
  12. SAMOAN

SAMOAN Moderator

The perils of being loyal to a complete arse.
    Punter likes this.
  13. Seen

Seen Moderator

Nice one mate. Usually these wankers get away with their shit so it's good to hear this one's got his comeuppance.
    slick, SAMOAN and Punter like this.
  14. slick

slick Administrator

Ditto what's been said Punt, what's DICS money?:thinking
    Punter likes this.
  15. Punter

Punter Moderator

Differed incentive compensation scheme.

For every year you're there the company put by a fund for you. It's dependant on how much you earn, how the company is doing and how the stock markets are.
    Just been told it's gone up by over 47% this year :yahoo ive never seen bigger than an 8% rise before

I'm considering taking it. There's a job going in the local bookies I'm thinking of applying for.
    slick likes this.
  16. slick

slick Administrator

Never heard of that before, so unlike a pension you can take it anytime you want when you leave the company.?
    Punter likes this.
  17. Punter

Punter Moderator

Yeah, you can only lose it if you get sacked for gross misconduct or if the the company does really shite and the stock markets crash to nothing.

This years increase means i'd have to pay 40% tax on it if i took though. The only way round it is by having a small part of it and have the rest put into my pension, or have it broken down and receive payments of it yearly for the next 5 or 6 yrs. I'd still have to pay 33% tax, this way though.

We're basically share holders and it's a scheme designed to stop the company being bought out.
  18. Seen

Seen Moderator

You guys will probably remember my posts on this thread last year regarding my dog being seemingly at death's door, before he made a remarkable Lazarus-like recovery.

Well, the old boy took ill again this weekend but sadly this time he didn't make it :frown

Saturday around noon I noticed he was off his food, I gave my other 2 dogs a treat each and shouted for him but he just stood in the hallway disinterested, yet normally he's there as soon as I open the treat tin. Then he was lethargic all day and then on the evening he coughed up blood, which was an ominous sign. Around 7am on Sunday morning he had a kind of jerky fit - he was just lying down on his side at this time, in a sort of catatonic state, not responsive to anything at all really. During the morning he had a few more of these before having a couple of horrible howling-in-pain moments before his body finally gave up.

We rang a couple of emergency vets (normal vets are shut on Sundays) on the Sunday morning (before he died) as we thought that we would have to make a decision to euthanise him, as obviously we didn't want him in pain, the cost just for a vet to come and see him was something like £170 :eek:, and that was just to take a look at him, any treatment etc would be extra. I think they said to come out, euthanise him, take his body away and cremate him would be £570 :eek::eek: Now I'm not one to fuss about spending money but that sounds a hell of a lot to me!

If it had to be done then so be it, I wouldn't have left him in pain but thankfully his dying wasn't prolonged and he went fairly quickly considering some dogs can take days to die once their body starts shutting down. Ended up taking him to the emergency vet myself after I finished work, still cost me £229.

I'm not gonna lie, he's drove me mad the last few months, he was so fucking greedy, we literally couldn't put anything in the bin which had even touched food, like wrappers or tin foil etc. He would have contents of the kitchen bin strewn all over the floor every fucking night (and during the day sometimes too), we started having to put the bin up on the side but it's not practical or hygienic so I was actually looking at building some kind of cupboard to keep it in to stop the old bugger from getting at it. When I took him for his nightly walks he'd spend the entire time sniffing out old mouldy food, I'd find him chomping on a chicken carcass someone had chucked on the grass, stale bread put out the the birds, rice grains from a takeaway, even a mouldy old kipper the other week :ohwell Two nights ago he tried to eat a teabag. I refuse to believe that there's a greedier dog than him in the world :grr

Missing him already though! Took the two shih tzu's out for walkies tonight, put their leads on them then instinctively turned around to put the old boy's on him :frown Then coming back home, I always take a treat out for them to encourage them to get back on their leads, I snapped it in three bits :frown

Mrs Seen and the kids are all devastated, but they know he's had a good life. We got him 12 years ago from a rescue shelter and basically saved his life, as he'd been there for a while and they only keep them for so long before putting them to sleep.

scrappy jigsaw.jpg SAM_2585.jpg
    Punter likes this.
  19. slick

slick Administrator

Sorry to hear the bad new Seen, I remember the story last year when you thought he was a gonna because I was going through the same thing myself, so you did well to get nearly another 12 months out of him if not more.
    :lol @ him nicking food over the last few months, buggers they are.

I'm the same with mine nearly 12 months later doing things thinking she's still here, more so when somebody knocks or opens the front door as she used to go ballistic, the silence is very strange to this day, It took me ages to stop sneaking biscuits or Magnum lollies out of the fridge too because she would always hear me not matter how stealthy I was and sit there watching me expecting some of it lol.

That price does seem a bit steep to euthanise him, maybe it's because it was on a Sunday? think it cost me about £250 for them to come to the home to put her down and then get her cremated, that was including individual cremation which cost a bit extra.
    She's still here in a box on top of my printer lol as we haven't decided what to do with her ashes yet.

He looks a lovely dog Seen and may he rest in peace.
    Punter likes this.
  20. Seen

Seen Moderator

Thanks mate.

Yeah it was the emergency vet that pushed the price up, they take the piss really (took one of the shih tzu's there a few years ago and they charged £110 for one X-Ray), unfortunately all normal vets are shut on Sunday. Other than sticking him in the shed overnight until the Monday morning I didn't have much option. £209 for the cremation (I think that included their overnight storage too), and £72 for the urn, so almost £300. I took him through to them too.

The house is eerily quiet today, and we keep thinking we see him lying there, when it's really a sports bag or something. My other two dogs are very subdued too, they obviously know he's not here, he was here first so they've not known a time without him.

I remember seeing a video years ago of a dog who had been diagnosed with terminal cancer and was due to be euthanised, so they bought him a full cooked chicken and let him devour it as a final meal. I always wanted to do that for my boy but obviously didn't get the chance as his appetite was the first thing to go.
    winrew, Punter and slick like this.