1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

They can't do this to me...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Seen, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Seen

Seen Moderator

...errr, I mean, they can't do this...

http://lifestyle.aol.co.uk/2011/11/...minal-offence/?ncid=wsc-uk-lifestyle-headline

New laws to make stalking a criminal offence

Stalking - either in person or online - is set to become a criminal offence in a bid to protect an estimated five million victims each year.

Tomorrow, Lynne Featherstone, the Liberal Democrat Home Office minister, is expected to unveil proposals to introduce a specific offence of stalking, potentially also covering cyber-stalking.

Research suggests that every year up to five million people suffer incidents of stalking or harassment. However, at present, only one in 50 incidents of harassment reported to the police results in a prison sentence. As it stands, people accused of stalking are prosecuted under other offences, often harassment or breach of the peace.

A government source said: "Most people will be surprised that this is not a criminal offence already and would think it is right that it becomes one. The Government will look at how best to do that."

According to the Crown Prosecution Service, stalking is not defined in law but covers a "long-term pattern of persistent and repeated contact with, or attempts to contact, a particular victim."

"In many cases, the conduct might appear innocent (if it were to be taken in isolation), but when carried out repeatedly so as to amount to a course of conduct, it may then cause significant alarm, harassment or distress to the victim."

Almost 40 per cent of stalking incidents in 2009-10 involved a partner or former partner; a third involved a stranger. Half of cases involved being sent unwanted letters, emails, text messages or cards that were either obscene or threatening.

Free country my arse :angry
  2. slick

slick Administrator

Looks like you'll have to stick to kidnapping from now on m8.
  3. AnothrSpacecat

AnothrSpacecat YES voter

:lol 1/3 of victims were strangers.. some people just need to find their sense of humour, i wouldnt even phone the police
  4. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

You'd better not do. One move towards that phone and I'll be in through this window.
  5. Seen

Seen Moderator

Poor old Spacey - ODM's in his garden, I'm in his shed (masturbating, of course), Winrew's in his wardrobe....
  6. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

To be fair though, Winrew is just lost, the senile old cunt.
  7. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

I'm in his car, my key fobs been reprogrammed with water :unsure
  8. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

...& before anyone asks, yes it is a volvo :ohwell