1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Working from home.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by slick, Apr 7, 2020.

1. slick

slick Administrator

How's everybody managing in between 'Team Meetings'.

So far I've managed to Decorate the living and also give it a spring clean while I was at it.
    Degrease the cooker and extractor hood.
    Reroute wires around the living room using micro trunking to tidy things up.
    Convert the cupboard under the stairs into a mini larder just in case we had to hoard, but never got as far as storing a 30kg bag of spuds which is now about a 5kg bag as Moans has given most of them away to the neighbours.

Next on my list is fixing the washing machine as the bag of shit has blew up again.

After that I've got a list as long as my arm which I need to sort out, some going back 10 years:lol

I'll post them up as I go along, this quarantining has really got my arse into gear otherwise I think I would be going mad, plus it saves me an hrs walking everyday which I see as a bit of a waste of time when I could be getting on with summat that would burn up twice as many calories.
    Punter likes this.
  2. Punter

Punter Moderator

The chance would be a fine thing.

Anyone else still having to go in everyday?

Bit of a nightmare trying to keep 2 metres apart, social distancing in a small area etc. I've seen good mates falling out over it this week. People are stressing.

It wouldn't be so bad if we were making parts for the NHS, or something. But we're not.
    Beyond me how they class us as key workers. They're just making us work to keep shareholders happy.
    slick likes this.
  3. slick

slick Administrator

Just found out that from Monday I'm being furloughed with work making up the extra 20%.
    They also said do no working from home after Monday which seems fair enough I suppose, at least i crack on with those jobs now with no distractions.

Washing Machine fixed today so that's another off my list.
  4. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

I'm still in every day :unsure
  5. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
  6. slick

slick Administrator

Nice one Swoops :thumb we need somebody to keep the coffers topped up:wasnme

Three weeks and a day I've been off, that's the longest break I've had since I was about 12 years old as I've always worked, even at school I worked evenings and weekends doing warehouse work, If I took my paper boy job into account It's my longest break since I was 9 or 10 lol.
    And that's only because I had a three week break last year, b4 that I was never off for more than a fortnight.

I'm just glad they stopped kids sweeping Chimneys the year b4 I was born.:wink
  7. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

:lol
  8. winrew

winrew GILF

Still working, it seems cardboard manufacturing is a key industry.
    Like Slick I have managed to get loads of jobs sorted around the house.

The wifes climbing the walls, she's normally on the go all day.
    Even taking the dog out for 4 miles a day , i do 5 as well , dogs sleeping like a log all night , snores like a warthog mind.

It's getting a bit shit not seeing the grandkids , do the contact on the phone and that but its not the same.
    Didn't realise how much time they spent at our house until this started.
    Got a lot to look forward to when this is all sorted.
    slick likes this.
  9. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

:clap:clap:clap
  10. slick

slick Administrator

Not got any grandkids yet, the sons tuther half has crohn's disease and getting pregnant is not recommended while the daughter hates kids:lol

The wife did get a Whatsapp message before though from the Sons misses which said 'I'm afraid to say you could be a grandparent soon', I was pretty flummoxed as a thousand things went through my head and Moans said 'she's very silly'.

Then the next message was a picture of a fcuking puppy they're thinking of buying..
  11. slick

slick Administrator

Moans has just made some potato scallops with gluten free batter cause she's bored, the Potato inside was nice but the batter was like eating fcuking plaster.
    It was that bad I had to tell her the truth before she kills some cnut.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  12. slick

slick Administrator

My jobs accomplished today were (bearing in mind I didn't get out of bed until midday ) were....

Cleaned all the exterior windows and doors and resealed the exterior of the large living room window after scraping off all the old shite, because on a couple of occasions over the winter there were a few drips from the top of the window every time it pissed it down which was nearly every day because we had that much rain.
    I can get rid of that towel on the interior window sill now lol.
  13. slick

slick Administrator

I'm doing twelve hour shifts now ffs, spent the last couple of days decorating the dining room and kitchen, just got a bit of touching up to do in the morning (hey! stop it vicar) then I'm gonna have a chill day me thinks.
    After that I might start doing some jobs outside if this weather keeps up, be a shame to waste it.
  14. slick

slick Administrator

Received my Furlough letter through the post today, starting from the Monday just gone (April 13) I've been furloughed until the 31st May but there will be review every 3 weeks.
    Punter likes this.
  15. Punter

Punter Moderator

We were called to meeting at work today and told the company had to make sacrifices in order to survive.
    They are claiming a global economic recession worse than 2008 will hit us hard this year. Sales are already down 54% compared to this time last year

We were given a letter asking us to opt for one of three options, which the management will look at in order reduce salary overheads (almost 400 employees) in order to save more jobs.

From May 1st

1. Take a 5% pay cut from now until Dec 31st. (10% for those earning over 47k)

2. Reduce the working week to 4 days, a loss of 20% salary from now until Dec 31st

3. Furlough with a review every 3 weeks.

The Furlough has to be agreed but redundancies look inevitable and my thinking is if they can make do without you for a few 3 week periods then they can make do without you full stop (not sure of your thoughts on this Slick), so i wont be applying for that.

The 5% reduction means me doing the same work for around £75 a month less. Most in my department are going for this.

I like the idea of a 4 day working week though so i'm applying for that. A big loss at around £300 a month but the mrs is ok with a £125 reduction in her house keep and i'm happy to lose the rest and live cheap. Especially with the summer coming up. Fuck it.
  16. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

That looks to me like a sensible company who are doing all the right things by exploring a number of options to reduce costs, while at the same time, giving the employees some input into how they might best absorb the pain depending upon their circumstances. I'm impressed to be honest. Too often you see dickheads and the top just come up with an idea off the top of their heads without giving the troops any flexibility.

One thing that I'll guarantee will piss people off (and I take on board what you're saying about the possible redundancy angle mate) is that someone taking the four day week option will be getting paid the same as someone sitting on their arses at home doing fuck all.

If it was me, the option would depend on which me it was.
    If it was the me with two young kids to bring up I'd choose option 1
    If it was the me in my 40s I'd choose option 2
    If it was the me now I'd take sitting on my arse for 80% wages
    Punter likes this.
  17. slick

slick Administrator

I don't know where you're coming from with that Punt as our place has shut down and and they'll need us when they re-open again, there's not a cat in hells chance they can run as before without people on the shop floor.
    We could run without the powers that be that are stuck in offices all day and make these decisions but they'd be fcuked without a work force to get things going again.

Furlough imo is just a way of them (my company) saving money but they'll need us again once this is over.
    I'm in no doubt of that and It suits both parties.
    They get to keep me on with the government making up 80% of my wages and I get a long break which no man in their right mind would refuse.
    If I thought my job was at risk I would have refused furlough.

Your situation may be different as I don't know if they are shutting down completely.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    Punter likes this.
  18. slick

slick Administrator

If your company is still running and looking to save costs then I agree with ODM completely.
    As I'd do exactly the same in each of his scenarios.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    Punter likes this.
  19. Punter

Punter Moderator

Regarding furlough, i'm just worried as to the long term affect of this. As in the government are only paying this til June and also how it might be viewed later on in the year if things dont pick up and redundancies are made.
    I'm a bit worried there maybe a difference between being placed on furlough and volunteering for it.
  20. slick

slick Administrator

Well that's the big if Punt.
    Will the government continue it after the 31st May if need be?
    At the moment I'm not losing any money as work are making up the extra 20%.
    Should it go beyond the 31st May and the government don't extend furlough then I'll have to answer that question then as I weigh up whatever options I have.
    Work so far have been in negotiations with the union so hopefully they'll work something out.

Worst case scenario for me and it's very doubtful is that I get made redundant, luckily for me I turned 55 yrs old last year so i can get my hands on my pension and If I get made redundant it's without penalty's so I'll get whatever it's valued at with the amount paid in without deductions.
    It's not a massive amount but means it'll get me by for about 12 months and in that time I only need find a part time job to get by, If I didn't have a mortgage I'd easily get by.

If I was under 55 then it would be a different matter.
    Punter likes this.