1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

You arse- are these odds right?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by traeth, Sep 22, 2011.

1. traeth

traeth Moderator

this satellite UARS[sound like [color=]you arse[/color] ]that's out of control and they have been saying that there is a 3200/1 chance of it striking a person , that does not sound right to me with all that sea and un-populated land.

more here
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15021323

is it going anywhere near you?

I believe that orbit is about 90 minutes

[​IMG]
  2. MickeyPaul

MickeyPaul Merry Christmas!

I was a bit surprised by those odds too, traeth. Surprised Yorkie hasn't started a Glory Hole thread yet.
  3. traeth

traeth Moderator

I've had a closer look at that re-entry area map and I've calculated that it's going to hit us somewhere in West Sussex , a small town of no importance called Horsham between 3:45 and 3:52 on Friday afternoon , sorry can't be more accurate than that , it all to do with it's tumbling orbit
  4. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Yorkie's not scared. He'll even stand outside and yell at it.

"BRING IT ON YOU PIECE OF SPACE JUNK!"
  5. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

.....& it will reply 'I know where you fucking live'
  6. MickeyPaul

MickeyPaul Merry Christmas!

Isn't it more likely to hit an insect?
  7. slick

slick Administrator

lol, poor old Yorkie.

I wouldn't be afraid of that hitting me as it looks like its made out of tin foil, its the washing machine and tumble dryer i'd be worried about.
  8. AnothrSpacecat

AnothrSpacecat YES voter

ive no idea how they worked that out tbh, been scratching my heid over it

they mustve worked out the odds of it hitting land (5/2 at those latitudes maybe more?), then worked out the target area in square miles/meters, worked out how close to it somebody has to be (to get hurt) on landing... errrmmm

then multiplied the estimated number of people on land with the death zone area.. then divide the total target area by the new human covered area, multiply it by 5/2? people dont exist in equal neat spacings but then in a town 2 might get stung. what a load of shit :lol
  9. winrew

winrew GILF

Not sure i like the idea of a " death zone area " ... Is that not Scotland ??
  10. Kegman

Kegman Moderator

Win FFS.... Wake up. This was months ago. I know Scotland is a bit behind the scenes but come on..... Cumbria's even further behind ya old fool

xx