1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

You couldn't make this shit up

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ONEDUNME, Jun 12, 2012.

1. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10207486

Police investigate Habbo Hotel virtual furniture theft

[​IMG]Habbo Hotel users create a character and can buy furniture

Thieves have struck again in the virtual world Habbo Hotel.
    Finnish police are investigating up to 400 cases of theft, with some members reporting the loss of up to €1000 (£840) worth of virtual furniture and other items, according to Detective Sergeant Marko Levonen.
    "We have done five home searches in five cities in Finland," he said.
    This is not the first time Habbo Hotel, which allows users to meet friends and buy virtual goods, has been targeted.
    In 2007, a Dutch teenager was arrested for allegedly stealing virtual furniture worth thousands of euros on the site, which is believed to have more than 100 million registered "avatars".
    Phishing attack
    DS Levonen explained that several Habbo Hotel members contacted the police earlier this year, saying their virtual belongings had been stolen, and seeking help from the police.
    Continue reading the main story
    “Start Quote

We see malicious attacks and trojans stealing accounts for all the games you can imagine, including World of Warcraft, Farmville and so on”
    Miko HypponenF-Secure

The Finnish company Sulake, which owns Habbo Hotel subsequently identified several hundred more users who appeared to have been targeted, according to DS Levonen.
    The online thieves allegedly targeted users with fake web pages to capture usernames and passwords, in what is commonly known as an online "phishing" scam.
    "Habbo as a virtual world is targeted by thieves from all over the world," said Mikko Hypponen, chief research officer at Finnish internet security firm F-Secure.
    "We've seen Dutch hackers, Italians, Russians and others, and have investigated some of these cases previously with the company that runs Habbo."
  2. slick

slick Administrator

Not before time either, After I had a sideboard and a foot stool go missing I packed in playing the game.
  3. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

I'm confused :thinking
  4. slick

slick Administrator

It's not as petty as it seems really ODM as Habbo make a lot of dosh by selling virtual furniture and the like to kids and Seen.
  5. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

I understand that Slick but if anyone is thick enough to spend money on make believe furniture then they're as thick as fuck and deserve everything they get.
  6. slick

slick Administrator

The same could be said about make believe computer games.

I'm only arguing the corner cause I once spent £25 quid on make belive Maple story bits and bobs for the daughter:lol
    It was her birthday and I begrudged paying it but it was what she wanted at the time, you'd think her being married with two kids she would have opted for something more practical.