• Hi and welcome to Betnod. Please register for even more tips, analysis and chat.

Cheltenham Festival 2015 - General Thread

ONEDUNME

Administrator
I'll put up a thread by day, but this is for general festival comments and maybe a place for comments on a horse which may be entered in races on more than one day, or comments on particular trainers/jockeys or bookies or the ground or, well anything else really .

The festival starts three weeks tomorrow and most bookies aren't going non-runner no bet yet on all races. About the bravest I've seen are Boylesports who seem to be doing more than most - the rest will start to catch up over the course of next weekend and most should be nrnb by Monday or Tuesday next week I reckon (with the exception of the odd race).

It would be easy to criticise the bookies for being greedy bastards and for taking money from punters who aren't even going to get a run for their dosh if they back a horse in a race and it ends up never even making the starting post but with so many horses being entered into two or three (or more) races over the four days it must be an absolute nightmare to try to produce a book without knowing who's going to run in the race without then having to give money back for those that don't take part without the option of imposing a rule 4 to reduce the prices that people got for the ones that are going to take part.

Anyway, I know what you're thinking - enough waffle, give us this day our daily threads.

Amen

The top jockey market looks to be virtually sewn up unless you back without Ruby Walsh I would imagine. I'll be keeping a close eye on what rides Sam Twiston-Davies gets with a view to backing him for top jock (two bets - one without Ruby Walsh and one outright, you never know, he could break his leg in race one God forbid).

Anybody taken a few small stakes on big priced outsiders yet?

I've backed a few, smallest of stakes. Two i'll mention at big odds..

Bertimont in the Champion Hurdle. I know he cant win it, cant come 2nd either, but i cant rule out 3rd. I'm expecting a good run from him. he's been on the upgrade on the last 4 races. There's more to come from him and the Skelton's shouldn't be underestimated at Cheltenham. 100/1 @ Bet Victor. At 1/4 the odds it's a 25/1 shot to finish 3rd. Will need luck in running and ideal conditions though.

Champagne Fever @ 164 for The Gold Cup. The least likely race to run in from the 3 he's entered in, according to the betting.

5/1 for the Queen Mother, i think he's more than a two miler these days, it's no longer his ideal trip imo. I wouldn't fancy him over this trip and up against Sacre and Dodging Bullets.

10/1 for The Ryanair. This would be more realistic at 2M5F.

Currently 270 on Betdaq to win the Gold Cup suggests he's highly unlikely to run. Not all bookies are pricing him up even. But he still holds an entry so i've chanced the smallest of stakes.
He didn't quite see the 3 mile out in the King George on boxing day, finishing 10L behind S.Conti. But that was only his 2nd run of the season to Cont's 3rd. He's fitter for two more runs since and has an excellent record at Cheltenham.

Bet365 going non runner no bet on every race now.

Weatherbys Cheltenham Festival Betting Guide 2015 £11.95 *With Code* Includes Free £10 Bet + Free Pint.

Promo Code **TRADE**
ONLY £14.95 (INCLUDING FREE 1st CLASS P & P)

PLUS GET AN EXCLUSIVE FREE £10 BET FROM STAN JAMES (OPEN TO NEW AND EXISTING CUSTOMERS) - so effectively the overall cost is less than a fiver!

FREE FIRST CLASS POSTAGE AND A FREE PINT!*

THIS YEAR THE FOREWORD COMES FROM LEADING TRAINER JONJO O'NEILL

"The Weatherbys Cheltenham Festival Betting Guide is an essential tool in finding those elusive winners." Nicky Henderson, Champion Trainer.

Packed full of trends, stats and facts surrounding all 27 races at this year’s Cheltenham Festival. Now in its 16th year, this market leading publication is expertly written by Paul Jones, highlighting all of the key statistics, race by race, to help pin-point those all important potential winners in what is always a week of ultra-competitive action PLUS over 150 individual horses are appraised and the views of 16 of the industry's best judges, Donn McClean's look at the Irish Challenge and other brand new winner-finding chapters.

£10 Free Bet - The 2015 edition includes an exclusive £10 free bet for new and existing customers with absolutely no strings attached!

HERE

Small fantasy league going here if anybody's interested..

https://fantasyracing.telegraph.co.uk/cheltenham/league/view/8025643

League Name: Malvern
PIN: 8025643

Free to join, invite your mates, good luck.

Prizes

The Champion
The owner of the highest-scoring Fantasy Cheltenham Stable at the end of the Festival will win the first prize of £1,000 cash

Runners up
The stable owners finishing in 2nd-10th will also receive a cash prize;
2nd: £250
3rd: £150
4th: £100
5th-10th £50

Facebook and Twitter League Prizes
The Owners whose stables top the Facebook and Twitter public leagues at the end of the Festival will each receive £50.
League details are as follows:
FACEBOOK LEAGUE (PIN: 8000001)
TWITTER LEAGUE (PIN: 8000002)

Back