1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

20 Goals that shook the world

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by ONEDUNME, Sep 20, 2011.

1. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Tonight on ITV4 9pm, probably a repeat.

I've been thinking of what will probably be included. The blurb already says taht Maradona's brace against England in 86 are in so that leaves 18.

Owen's goal against Argentina and Beckham's against Palace have got to be there because they both they announced them to the world. Owen's to a wider world audience and Beckham's to the footballing world in general. Beckham's free kick against Greece could be in there if it's compiled with English biased - for its skill and its significance. I'd also have Platts near overhead kick against Belgium as well:wink

The Irish goal in the world cup opener (I think) against Italy - for both the same reasons as the Beckham v Greece goal.

Geoff Hurst's world cup hat trick goal will have to be in there just because it made history. Archie Gemmill (can't fucking spell it) and John Barnes v Brazil both for the same reason - you just don't score Brazilian style goals against Brazil.

Dennis Law's backheel against United which folklore tells us sent United down but actually wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference (don't let the facts get in the way of a good story).

Michael Thomas's last gasp winner for Arsenal which snatched the title away from Liverpool and Man United's winner when they came back from behind to beat Bayern (can't even remember who scored it).

Pele could well have a few in there - his best one would surely have been when he dummied the keeper and collected the ball as it ran the other side of him - except he missed:lol

After that, I'm guilty of falling into a premiership bias I'm afraid. Rooney's overhead kick and any one of a dozen from Berkamp or Henry would grace any programme.

Ooooh I've just thought of another - The Carlos free kick against France that started heading towards the car park and then swerved as if by remote control to fly inside the post. I still the the camera angle from behind does a great deal to create the image in the viewers head but it was amazing all the same. I seem to remember a ball boy seeming to duck as it head towards him but I may well have dreamt that.

Possibly a couple of non-goals in there as well maybe. Like the one that that twat Clive Thomas disallowed from a corner in a major championship just to get his big fat stupid fucking head in the papers. Why bother letting a corner kick be taken if there's no time for it to reach the box you stupid fucking Welsh twat?

Any other suggestions? Cruyff maybe? The penatly the Ajax team took (i think it was them) when they took it free kick style instead of just shooting.

Maybe one from a keeper. Alex Stepney's big punt or the crazy Columbian bastard who took penalties and scored one by dribbling the length of the field.
  2. ThunderCelt

ThunderCelt National League Punter

(Not watching it - I'm listening to the League Cup so I'm not after eventing)
    Maybe the Cameroon goal when they beat world cup holders Argentina (in 1990?)?
    The USA goal that beat England in 1950?

I agree with the programme that both of Maradonna's goals against England should be there.

So, who is/was in?
  3. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Funnily enough, as I read your post - the Cameroon goal:lol

I'm about half a minute behind live but it looks like Nayim chipping Seaman is coming up
  4. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Berkamp v Argenina

The korean goal that beat Italy in 2002
  5. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

[quote="ThunderCelt, post: 4083The USA goal that beat England in 1950?

[/quote]

Yeah right:lol

The Gazza goal where he left Hendry flailing about on his arse is more likely.

Although I almost felt sorry for old square jaw as he slipped at a vital moment. Still pissed myself when he missed a penalty though.
  6. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Next is the goal that the Carlisle keeper scored to keep them up. i think they sacked the cunt the next season:lol
  7. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

oooh my mistake - it just said he was only there on loan. Still, they could have given him a contract the bastards.
  8. ThunderCelt

Shook the world? Okay, there may have been some minor vibrations in Cumbria, but I don't recall much earth shaking in Moscow or Rio or Sydney as the ball crossed the line :unsure
  9. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

:lol Fair point

And I thought I was in danger of being Anglocentric
  10. ThunderCelt

So, which goal caused the biggest earthquake?
  11. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Dunno - im bored of it to be honest
  12. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

I saw a rerun of the Eng v Arg qtr final about 6 months ago on the espn classic channel.
    Basically about 5 secs before Maradona receives the ball and goes on his run there was a terrible foul on an England player which the ref failed to give ( I think it was Brown on Hoddle but can't be sure because it wasn't repeated.) That Maradona goal should never have been given.
    If that game is shown again I'll try to record it and see it again
  13. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

14. Pete89

Pete89 Active Member

Bet you the goal that nexer crossed the line from 66 was in there and there was probably the shocking ommission of James Mcfaddens fucking amazing goal against Frannce and Archie Gemmels goal against holland in 78
  15. slick

slick Administrator

I'm not so sure Colbro as they were different times and you could get away with a lot more in those days, If that happened today it would probably have been a foul allthough there did seem a delay before he hit the deck, so maybe he was feigning it.
    I don't know whether it's slipped my memory or not but i didn't even realise it was Steve Hodge who passed to Maradonna for his hand of God goal.