1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Bizarre end to tennis final

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by ONEDUNME, Jun 17, 2012.

1. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

and talking of cricket, you're playing this very much on the back foot
  2. Steve_uk

Steve_uk Well-Known Member BANNED

I think Martina Navratilova made the point about about the trajectory of the ball so how can that be rubbish? If you're at full stretch trying to retrieve the ball then okay the odd grunt should be allowed,but to take the cricket analogy if you keep bowling bouncers the umpire is going to step in and have a quiet word..
  3. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

Many fast bowlers grunt on delivery. sid Lawrence is the one that springs to mind right now, yet no-ones ever told them to stop it because its not seen as affecting the game. The bouncer rule has changed many times over the years in different formats but it would be dealt with by a warning & a no ball. i'm not sure where the similarity is there? also about the same time frame that we're talking about the Windies were generally allowed to bowl 6 an over.
    i'm suprised navratilova said that, sounds like whinging about them being better & fitter now to me. Sounds familiar. I reckon in an experiment, once the factor of it being unusual playing in total silence is factored in & overtaken, then there would be no difference in how the ball is played
  4. hotspur

hotspur Active Member

Are there any big grunters who mostly lose?
  5. hotspur

hotspur Active Member

So,Swoops,has Steve been bowled out yet or has rain stopped play:unsure
  6. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

Way i've always looked at it, & I mean this I assure you, is that whatever sport I've tried to play I've tried to make myself a strong player. What i mean by this is, say at cricket simply put, I've decided my attacking shots across my body (ie, pull, hook, etc) arent strong enough then I'll cut them out, just block it. Therefore I'm playing to my rules. I'm forcing the bowler to attack me somewhere else, as I wont take a chance in my weaker areas. If he then gives me width on or outside off stump, I'll try & smack it into oblivion. I'm cutting his chances down, & raising mine, in my own mind anyway. Its when you get the theory bit wrong or the patience gives out then you come unstuck.
    Okay, take snooker. i've played a lot of decent players at a decentish level, some of them very slow. they know that there slowness antagonises other players, forcing them to take shots on that they wouldnt. I dont always beat these players, but i will play them with a plan. I will up the tempo. He will play a shot & walk back to his table & pint. I will play my shot, either offensive or defensive, as quickly as i can without endangering the quality of it, with the aim being that he has no rest time between his shots, as I'm trying to play him by my rules. he can take as long as he wants, as i'm switching off & expecting him to be slow.
    The point I'm making, is that if a pro sportsman/woman is strong & disciplined enough to get to the top of their game yet plays a player that he hasnt got a plan for, ie a grunter, & allows them to win because they havent got a plan to combat it, then they shouldnt be a pro, simple as.
    The whole point has to be, ok, he wins by playing his game, now its up to me to beat him by changing mine. Gruntings never been removed because to succumb to it means you are weak to start with. Remember, the point with cricket is that it involves fear of serious injury 7 death, the point with tennis is it doesnt
  7. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

Every point hes come up with I've beaten him in straight sets
  8. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

I'd be even more surprised if Steve could find evidence that she did say it.

Just put "Navratilova hear trajectory ball" into Google, came up with this article from two weeks ago.

http://www.carbonated.tv/lifestyle/hitting-the-court-with-an-ear-on-the-ball

Note in particular this paragraph near the end:

Maybe they could save the engineering class the trouble, and just ask Martina Navratilova how to hear a normal tennis ball as it moves.
  9. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

Ah, the cavalry :naughty
  10. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

Hmm, seems Navratilova did say something along those lines (although I think that to use this quote to argue that she said you can hear the trajectory and where the ball might bounce is stretching it somewhat):

"It affected my game because to me it is important to hear the ball hit the racquet. You can hear a bad shot before you can see it and the sound is an imperative part of the game."
  11. hotspur

hotspur Active Member

Tis a wonderful thing,the internet and google.People who would otherwise be disbelieved can be exonerated...
  12. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

Fuck me, never trust a jockey :unsure

I'm absolutely amazed at that. I find it amazing that I'm going to argue with a pro athlete but surely with the fact that the ball is travelling faster than the sound means its out of sync anyway? That makes sense right? that's proved every day
  13. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

What she might be saying is that a slice shot or a fade makes a different sound to a full on mullering, now that I can believe & that may well be true at the top level, but thats her saying the sound on the racket, certainly not the trajectory. i've won all the others so i;m still going on 'utter rubbish'.
  14. hotspur

hotspur Active Member

hmmm,well its a simple calculation,innit.

Er,so its the speed of light over the length of a tennis court - the speed of sound over the same length but taking into account the speed of the ball and the players reaction times:eek::unsure
  15. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

And if she could work all that out before the ball actually landed, she was wasted on a tennis court.
  16. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

Wonder what the difference in speed & reaction time is between a cricket ball & a tennis ball ? :unsure
  17. hotspur

hotspur Active Member

All I know is that if you drop em in a vaccuum they land at the same time....er,if thats any help?
  18. hotspur

hotspur Active Member

Its comforting to know that finally,after 30 years my Physics O-Level has not been wasted:unsure
  19. Seen

Seen Moderator

Sorry guys but I have to tell you that you are all wrong :wank
  20. Steve_uk

Steve_uk Well-Known Member BANNED

I try not to fill this site with personal invective as is some people's wont..I have a balanced life and suggest others might attempt to achieve the same. The point is if you are making a Herculean effort on a shot in tennis of course the odd grunt might be permissible,but if you're attempting a sneaky drop shot and scream at the top of your voice and then the ball just trickles over the net it's tantamount to cheating and should be banned.http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=79040