1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Comebacks / Dramatic finishes

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by SAMOAN, May 7, 2019.

1. SAMOAN

SAMOAN Moderator

Copied this one from its original Rugby thread ( following Salford's dramatic golden point win in the 2016 Million Pound Game ) and fair to say Liverpool coming back from 3 down against Barca is worth a spot -

Because of the relatively low profile of the sport, it will never be recorded as such, but surely it has to be up there with the best sporting finishes of all time. I like the comparisons with City as both times the trailing team were 2 " scores " behind with time rapidly expiring and both teams were effectively down and out

When you also consider just what was at stake, it magnifies it even more for me and would have to make my top 10. Others I can think of ( in no particular order) are below, but probably left an obvious one out somewhere

The 72 Olympic Basketball final

Micheal Thomas with the last kick of the season for the title

Aguero

Kevin Dyson tackled at the one yard line in the last play of Superbowl XXXIV

Scott Norwood missing a " winning " field goal with the last play of Superbowl XXV

The infamous " Wide to West " try for St Helens with time expiring in a big play off game

Allan Donald getting run out in the 1999 Cricket World Cup Semi Final

Michael Jordan's last ever shot in his career in the 1998 NBA Finals ( down by 3, he scored, forced the turnover and then scored again ) this last shot securing the title

2015 NRL ( Aussie Rugby League ) Grand Final - Try in the corner with 20 seconds to go for the North Queensland Cowboys which tied the scores. Touchline conversion missed, sending the game into extra time,
    Ben Hunt spilling the ball on the kick off and Johnathon Thuston slotting over the drop goal.
    slick likes this.
  2. slick

slick Administrator

And let's not forget Istanbul.

One that always sticks in my mind (being a City fan) is the comeback against Spurs in the FA cup.
    We were 3-0 down at half time at Whitehart lane , Barton gets sent off and Anelka doesn't fancy the embarrassment anymore and subs himself feigning injury.
    We were left with a team of cast offs and came back to win 4-3 with the great Jon Macken scoring the winner lol.

They were shit days but could be very memorable at times.

For Rc's sake I won't mention Gillingham:lol
  3. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

City v Gillingham (I was just telling my lad about it the other day). What was the rugby world cup that was won in the last kick of the game with a drop kick from about a million miles out?

And Rocky Bilboa
  4. SAMOAN

SAMOAN Moderator

Strangely, the event that many would not have heard of, might be the biggest of them all. I am referring to the 1972 Olympic Basketball final between USA and USSR. Given the political situation between the 2 nations, with it also being the Olympics ( with the world watching ) and especially given the drama off court and the Russian's having time put back on the clock, the combination of such events make it a tough one to top.
  5. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

No they probably weren't. I doubt three quarters of the world even had access to a telly
  6. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

:moon:adolph