1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Diving Headers

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by slick, Aug 17, 2017.

1. slick

slick Administrator

I was sat in a hospital carpark today with loads of free time (5 hrs to be precise) while Moans was undergoing a wee op and during a self brainstorming moment I realised I couldn't remember the last time I saw a diving header, Tevez sprung to mind but I couldn't pinpoint the time or game if ever there was one when he scored one.

Years ago they were a regular occurrence, Tommy Hutchinsons against Spurs in the 81 cup final being my all time favourite.

Anybody else notice a decline in the diving header? or is it just me with too much time on my hands.
  2. slick

slick Administrator

I had that much time on my hands I even went for a wee stroll and ended up walking around Boundary Park lol, got bored of that so went on the search for some food and ended up having my first Subway Sarnie ever.
    A 'Meatball Marinader to be precise with chilli cheese' and just kept saying yes to whatever the young girl behind the counter kept asking me; so ended up with what resembled a baseball bat filled with every filling and sauce they offered.

It was nice but never bowled me over, they must fill them with whatever shite chemicals Mcdonalds fill their food with because I've had that same queasy feeling ever since I ate it, you feel full but not in the way you normally feel full if you eat normal food, if you know what I mean, I won't be having another put it that way.
  3. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

I reckon you could be right (about the diving header I mean, you're talking bollox about the Subway's they're great:lol). Of the top of my head (no pun intended) it could be down to teams being set up better defensively these days, especially at the top end of football anyway. More tactical affairs than ever before with teams trying to pass and pass in order to try to break down lesser teams who don't want to come out to play. Most goals these days seem to be scored as a result of free kicks or corners and I'm sure a lot of teams set up with the aim of just getting half a dozen of them so they can pile their bodies up and then get back into shape.

Who watches lower league football? If my theory is right, there would be more of them in league 1 downwards than the top two leagues. Although the Championship is pretty breakneck at times so maybe it's just the top division that it's died down. I'm going to record MOTD and the football league show for the next two weekends in the hope of spotting one.

Hope the Mrs is OK Slick.
    slick likes this.
  4. slick

slick Administrator

She seems a lot better mate, I said OP didn't I, well it was sort of but more a biopsy in a place where she had to have a general anaethstetic to get at it.

B4 the Op the surgeon reassured her it doesn't look like the worst case scenario considering her symptoms and if it's serious she'll (the surgeon) will come and see her before she (Moans) is released from hospital.

Well the surgeon never showed so hopefully that's a good sign.

Thank fcuk I was born a man (let's not argue lol), some of the shit women have to go through with their womeny bits makes my toes curl.
  5. slick

slick Administrator

You could be right there, my first thoughts were strikers are not as brave as they used to be and don't want to put their head in where they might get hurt.
  6. Punter

Punter Moderator

Andy Gray was the master of diving headers. He'd stick that big Scottish swede anywhere.
  7. Kegman

Kegman Moderator

Van Persie in the euros
  8. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

You may be interested to hear that there have been two "goals" scored by a diving headers in the top four divisions of English football this weekend (tonight's Man City Everton game excluded). To be more accurate, only one will be recorded as Britt Assombalonga's goal for Boro against Forest was disallowed for offside. Nontheless, it does show that it does still happen.

In League 1, Osman Sow's goal for MK Don's was more like it. Brilliant diving header from about 8 yards out and that one did count.

I'll leave it up to the viewer to decide whether Billy Kee's winner for Accrington against Mansfield could be counted as a diving header. I've watched it half a dozen times and it looked as if he put it in with his head but you could argue that it was more a sort of falling or crawling header than a diving one so I'm willing to ignore that one for the purposes of the record.

Honorary mention for Carlisle's first goal against Cheltenham when a diving header from a corner forced the the dender to panic and put the ball into his own net. Maybe that could go down as a diving header assist?

So yeah, they still happen Slick. In the top flight? Like you, I can't recall very many recent ones off the top of my head.
  9. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Got Gillette Soccer Special on and just glanced up to see a dive header in the Huddersfield Rotherham game lol. Maybe they happen all the time and we just don't notice.

While I'm here, I'll past my post from the Amusing Video thread on the subject of diving headers.....

Sorry, no video to back it up but just to say I scored a better one than that. I was player manager at the time and it was a cup match. I had a knock and (couldn't be arsed to play) was rotating the squad when we were three or four down after about twenty minutes. They got a corner and in a moment of frustration I decided to show some leadership, get on and show them how it's done.

I get on (no time to warm up) - corner comes in my direction - no probs, I'll just dive and head it behind. Bullet header straight into the bottom corner of the fucking net. First touch of the game:lol
  10. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

Diving header at the Gills today for our second goal
  11. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Thanks RC. There were also diving header goals for Scunthorpe and Walsall and a diving header in the Premiership for Swansea which didn't result in a goal. Because you only get the one angle in the lower leagues, it was difficult to see whether Crawley's goal went in off a diving head or some other part of the body but I think we've seen enough in two weeks to say that the diving header isn't a thing of the past.
  12. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Diving header in the Prem for West Brom's opening goal.
  13. traeth

traeth Moderator

slick likes this.