1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Rugby Question

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Colbro, May 15, 2014.

1. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

I just wondered.

Is it a rule in either form of the game that all passes have to be made two handed?

Also is there any difference between a Union Ball, a league ball and an american football ball?

I suppose my question is whether there is a rule to prevent a union scrum half throwing a "quaterback" style one handed bass backwards to a guy on the other side of the pitch wing.
  2. traeth

traeth Moderator

Passes do not have to be two handed , a lot of one handed passes happen
    [ definition of a forward pass has been discussed a lot in the media this season]

an american football is smaller

I remember Gavin Henson throwing a pass quarteback style across the width of the pitch

p.s. went to youtube to look for that pass , came across this clip which has numerous one handed passes , sadly not Henson's

3. slick

slick Administrator

As Traeth says you can pass one handed but its a more risky pass as you have less control, trying to pass a ball backwards across the width of a pitch is also very risky due to the risk of an interception.
    In fact it's very rare you see long passes in rugby for that reason, strength in numbers is usually the order of the day with short passing so any mistakes or mishaps can be mopped up.
    You do see plenty of one handed short passes though when a player is trying to release the ball quickly to let a team mate in when on the offensive.
  4. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. a group of us remembered somebody kicking the ball the width of the pitch to set up a try once and we speculated whether a "quaterback" style pass was a tactic or even legal.