1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

The Chelsea Goal

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Colbro, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

Against Cardiff

I've just seen it for the first time and surely Eto'o is offside.

Has this been discussed elsewhere?
  2. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

Just seen it again on the Monday night Programme.

Once Eto'o allows Marshall to get ahead of him Eto'o is offside and when he kicks the ball he is in an offside position

Somebody please tell me where I am wrong:thinking
  3. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

What the fuck have you been smoking?
  4. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

You're offside when one of your own team plays the ball forwards and you're in an offside position and interfering with play. When the keeper has the ball in his hands, a new "phase" of play begins and, since none of Eto'o's (comma overload) team mates play the ball forward, how the fuck can he be offside?
  5. slick

slick Administrator

It doesn't happen very often but this time I have to agree with ODM.
    It must have been some good shit.
  6. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

:embarassed You can't be offside when the ball comes off a defender :duh
    I knew I was missing something obvious.
    I'll have to put it down to one of those moments when you know you are getting old.
    Anyway at least I didn't post it here - or worse still start a new thread about it.
    You would probably have all been wondering what I was smoking or something if I had.:cool:
  7. Seen

Seen Moderator

Eto'o was offside, but not in the way Colbro was meaning. When Hazard hits the shot it clips Eto'o's foot on the way in to the net, Eto'o is lying in an offside position so the goal should have been disallowed for offside.
  8. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Wrong again mate, sorry. You CAN be offside when the ball comes off a defender. It makes no difference if it comes off a defender, an attacker, the referee or the corner flag, all that matters is where you are when your team mate plays the ball forward. The ....being played onside if the ball hits the opposition was fucked of.....oh, I dunno, some time in the 80s I would say.
  9. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

You've got me reading the rules of the game now:lol

Based on what you have said so far should this Agbonlahor goal have been disallowed

10. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Now I know you're taking the piss. The Sunderland player kicked the ball and not his own player so how could he be offside.

Stop winding me up:lol
  11. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

I'm just a simple bloke ODM and a bit slow sometimes

The ball came off/was passed by a Sunderland defender/player so he was not offside - which you told me was wrong and thus confused me

anyway - I'm off for a smoke ....

Here is the rule by the way

http://asktheref.com/Soccer/Referee/Articles/6/
  12. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

:lol I don't need the fucking "rule" (they're called laws of the game by the way, not rules) THE BALL HAS TO BE PLAYED FORWARD BY A TEAMMATE OR YOU CAN'T BE OFFSIDE. That's the very first thing that needs to happen. There are other qualifiers but that NEEDS to happen or you can't be offside. If you don't pass it but run with it yourself - you can't be offside. If your teammate plays the ball square or backwards - you can't be offside. If the ball is passed to you by an idiot opponent (or dropped by a goalkeeper) - you can't be offside.

The point I was making about the defender was that there used to be part of the offside law that said if the ball came off a defender, you weren't offside (the logic being - I think - that the other team had touched the ball and therefore (to switch metaphors to rugby) possession had, in theory, passed to the other side. Because it's fucking impossible to see a slight deflection from a ball travelling at speed, or who's head the ball may bounce off when two players go up for a header, that stupid rule was simplified and the deflection bit was taken away. It took some 15 fucking years before the cunts doing the commentating and reporting (mainly ex-pro's) actually got that fact into their dumb fucking skulls (and even now you'll here one refer to it every now and again).
  13. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

I'll backtrack on that one in that, obviously if you're standing in front of the keeper (or judged to be in a position to be distracting him) then you are going to be given offside, even if your team mate dribbles through on his own and slots the ball away.
  14. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

Fair play to you then. I have to admit that I did:embarassed

I have to admit that I did not know the total nuances of the rule - sorry law

Thanks for clearing it all up for me:thumb
  15. Seen

Seen Moderator

You can actually be offside if your teammate passes the ball backwards, if you're in an offside position (and ahead of the ball) when the pass is made and then run back to retrieve the ball. Hardly ever happens but that's the rule law.
  16. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

That makes sense Seen, so I'll hold my hands up on that.

Well, I say it makes sense - I mean what you posted makes sense- the interpretation goes entiely against the original spirit of the rule which was to stop players from seeking to gain an advantage from being in an offside position. How the fuck you could have gained an advantage in
    that scenario I don't know, given that you could have been nearer to the ball/pass if you'd have stayed onside.

What's fucking the offside situation up most is the interpretation of the "phases" of play. I reckon if your offside at any stage in an Attack you should be offside if you benefit later in that attack from having been in that position. often u see a player in an offside position - the keeper saves - the ball is passed a couple of times and the bloke who was offside ends up putting the ball in the net. OK, he wasn't offside at the final stage if play but if he hadn't been offside earlier, he wouldn't have ended up in the position to score later .

long long paragraph - iphone obviously- and not explained very well. I'll clarify when I next see an example - which may not be the too distant future
  17. Seen

Seen Moderator

I agree, they've tried to make the game flow better but it's just created more arguments and put more pressure on officials to get things right. I've been involved in youth football for the last 8 years or so and as you can imagine, it's an absolute nightmare for the refs at grassroots level with no linesmen to help. Most play it safe and blow offside if a player is offside and anywhere near the ball even if they don't touch it or run for it, I don't blame them, they get far more abuse for trying to play to the new rules.
  18. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

You've explained it very well ODM. My confusion has gone anyway.:thumb
  19. Colbro

Colbro Well-Known Member

I was linesman once in a junior game when a breakaway goal was scored. Basically the winger got the ball on about the halfway line and ran to the bye line and pulled the ball back to the centre forward to score from about 12 yards out. The thing is when running to the goal the forward was always about 2 yards "ahead" of the winger and only "overtaken" when he reached about the penalty spot.

I didn't flag because I thought that when the pass was made he was onside - but for most of the move he was in an "offside position" Having read the FIFA law it says

so should I have flagged as soon as the winger touched the ball or when he played it?

Just curious as it has bugged me a bit for a while now.
  20. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

You were right not to flag at all mate, you can sleep peacefully in your bed at night (or wherever else you choose to sleep for that matter). The forward was in an offside position but not interfering with play or an opponent. Logically, of course he was gaining an advantage by being in that position but all the while the winger has the ball at his feet, the forward isn't involved in the play at all and the question of offside doesn't come into it. When the winger pulls the ball back, he's not between the ball and the oppositions goal so he can't be offside.

Providing he doesn't interfere with a defender during his run (which would, in itself be a foul) or the winger doesn't play the ball forward to him while he's running in front of him (with less than 2 opponents between him and the goal) he's onside.