1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

Website scrapbook

Discussion in 'Book Talk' started by swooperman, Dec 27, 2011.

1. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

Not really expecting much feedback on this immediately as not many around, but thought I'd start it whilst I'm thinking about it.
    Been meaning to use the xmas break as a springboard to moving on writing wise, not really got going yet but I will do. I wrote the sentence above then walked off to watch the Swansea match :unsure

Thinking of pushing 'Navajo' as hard as I can agents/publishers wise in the next 6 months, but am then toying with the idea of self publishing on kindle if I've got nowhere by then. Question is, would I publish it under my own name?
    Way I see it, it will take a lot of publicity to get it done, ie facebook, twitter, website links etc, & whilst I'm not opposed to that (never used twitter, mind) its a commonly held thought that writers can put too much into publicity work & not enough into writing.
    Now part of this thread is to try & maximise websites worth, as in getting the most out of links, tabs etc, something I know next to nothing about, so hopefully Uncle Slick might point us in the right direction here :D but the idea of trying to do it with a different website under a different name.....is it more trouble than its worth?
    The idea of a pseudonym is the fact that as its my first crack, would an unselling novel under your own name put any future agents/publishers off?
  2. slick

slick Administrator

It would be better if you use the same name as the website but if you're thinking of using a pseudonym, then create a website for that now b4 you start as it will save a lot of hassle in the long run.

we can discuss linking and metas etc when you have decided and are happy with the name of the author and site.
  3. winrew

winrew GILF

If you publish on Amazon , we can pop in with favourable reviews , its a start ..
  4. ThunderCelt

ThunderCelt National League Punter

I think unless you're very lucky or talented and get picked up by one of the big publishers you're going to have to do a lot of publicity, as the smaller presses don't have the effort to do it all themselves. I don't enjoy it and I'd rather be writing, personally.

I also think the advantages of using your own name outweigh the disadvantages. Somone told me unless you particularly want to write in a different name you're better off using your own. The only exception, apparently, is if you write erotica, then you should use a psudonym. I was told that the week after my erotic book was published :hissyfit

Can't offer much on the technical stuff, I'm afraid. I'm a technophobe.
  5. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

My old man says," I've even thought of a name for you....Evan Neil!"

He seemed quite upset when I called him a cunt :unsure

I'm a little scared that if the first one does nothing under your own name, then thats like having a sacking on your record....got one of those as well, mind :unsure Spose the other way of looking at it is, why hide it?

I dunno what you're worried about TC, your mothers bound to find out you've had a book published regarding male rape & slow torture death at some point :lol
  6. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

No Seen, I'm not telling you the title or his name, it was a joke ffs :banghead
  7. slick

slick Administrator

Thats an advantage you have Swoops, wherever you need a review you can get most of us onside for a price:wasnme, different ip addys from all over the UK , who could ask for more
  8. slick

slick Administrator

Smashing goal from Bale too
  9. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

'for a price' :unsure

How about a credit each in my bestselling novels, starting from number 10.....there's only about 15 of us so that should be a sinch :lol

On the bright side there would be no future in putting an expensive book up from an unknown, so it would be cheap I'd assume, around the £1 mark?
    I was going to say even ODM wouldnt moan at a quid, but hes read it :lol
  10. slick

slick Administrator

15 good reviews is not to be sniffed at, In fact anybody who moans after spending a quid on a book must be pretty sad.
  11. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

All over Europe. Although the European ones come at a higher price. Blame it on the exchange rate, or something.
  12. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

Before we get any confusion, I'd like to point out ODM hasnt moaned yet :lol

I have misgivings about straight to kindle tbh, & I know they're the same as TC's. It wouldnt necessarily apply to 'Navajo', as that would have been proof read, spellchecked, the works a lot of times, as Its been pushed towards the more traditional way of attempted publishing. Agents are seen as a sifting process, meaning if you give up on them & just go straight to kindle then is it going through the 'critique' stage enough?
    I think it will lead to a lower class of writing, although at cheaper prices admittedly. For the critic that would suggest isnt that what I might be guilty of....then I can only point to the positive reviewers I've had as a back up :unsure otherwise I'd have no defence. The plus point of kindle is that you're out there I suppose
  13. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

Fuck off, RC, you'll want me to buy you a kindle next :lol
  14. slick

slick Administrator

Whats a kindle?
  15. ThunderCelt

ThunderCelt National League Punter

I can see the downside, but I still think the advantages of having one name outweigh it. I've got a friend who writes mainstrem and erotica and uses different names for each and has to have a different web site, blog, publicity schedule for each and I don't know how she does it (but then I can't multi task - my wife even says I'm incompetent at single tasking).
  16. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Swoops, why do I get the idea that you're seeking guidance but. ultimately, you're just arguing with yourself in this thread:lol

Why don't you just do what Iain Banks does? He writes his normal fiction under the name Iain Banks and science fiction under the name Iain M Banks. As a new author, that way you can push the novel stuff down the publisher route (taking on board your point about getting the critical feedback needed to improve) and you can publish the kindle stuff under a pseudonym (not much of one, granted, but enough to throw people a dummy) and, at a later date, you have the choice of either claiming it as your own or sidestepping it altogether.
  17. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

One for you TC
    just reading my new writing mag, & Amazon.com have launched a new imprint called 47 north, for print, kindle & audio on sf, fantasy & horror. 15 titles announced so far inc neal Stephenson, Greg Bear & Dave Duncan. Will include new, reprint & out of print.
    submission proposals or enquiries to 47north-submissions@amazon.com
  18. winrew

winrew GILF

Also this section Swoops ...
    LINK
  19. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

Looking into that if I dont get anywhere in the next few months Win :thumb

I have decided, in my new energetic state, to enter the CWA (Crime Writers Ass.) Debut Dagger Award.
    Daggers are quite well known in the field (get me :unsure) & it actually costs you £25 to enter, presumably to stop just any old shit being sent in :)unsure) You only send the first 3000 words as well. Closing date 21st Jan. Need to tighten up that first 3000 then I guess......
    Prizes are £700, 2 tickets to the presentation & obviously agents taking notice.
    Guess I'd have spent £25 on bread this month anyway............
  20. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

Thought that interview thing you did on Tripod was a good idea Tc, might nick that :thumb

anybody got any ideas for questions I can ask my lead characters that I might not think of fire away. (No Yorkie, not his favourite colour) :duh

For those that dont know, 'navajo's' mc was a truck driving northern iron living under an assumed name in England after being lifted from Ireland whilst undercover. gets taken hostage in a cafe siege by terrorists.

My current one is Ady Killarney, again irish but a debt collector taken under wing after standing up to one as a barman. the plan is probably/possibly a trilogy charting his life, ie early life to early 30's, 30's to 40's & then approaching the end as the stress & cynicism take their toll