Windows 10, any good?

Discussion in 'Tech and Info' started by slick, Jul 4, 2016.

1. slick

slick Administrator

I keep getting boxes appearing telling me to get the free upgrade before the 29th July.
    I'm on Windows 7 which I like, the wife has windows 8 which looks messy so I'm in two minds whether to upgrade to Win10.

Anybody using it yet?
  2. Punter

Punter Moderator

Me mum doesn't like it, neither does my youngest. Mickey Paul swears by it though.

Sorry, swears at it! He swears at it!

I guess i'll have to have it at some stage, i'm reluctant at present though.
  3. slick

slick Administrator

lol @ MP
    I've started the download to see what it's like but it's stuck @ 0%, so it looks like it doesn't matter anyhow.
  4. Seen

Seen Moderator

If you're happy with Windows 7, don't change!
  5. slick

slick Administrator

Too late I've done it, I read somewhere Windoes 7 is going to stop being supported so I took the plunge.
    Wish I fcuking hadn't now:lol
  6. slick

slick Administrator

Machines now running like a bag of shit, probably all the intrusive shite that comes part and parcel of windows 10, I get up to go for a shit and it asks me do I need to buy more bog roll.
  7. rcgills

rcgills Moderator

:lol
  8. slick

slick Administrator

You may laff RC but it's not far from the truth.

I loved Windows 95 and they ruined it with Millenium, I loved Windows XP and they ruined it with Vista, I loved Windows 7 and they ruined it with Windows 8, I was hoping 10 was continuing the flow but it doesn't seem the case.
  9. Seen

Seen Moderator

They don't seem to realise that most people prefer a fast-running no-frills machine to a sluggish piece of crap. Fuck, I go mental if a webpage hasn't opened in 2 seconds.

You have the option to change back, don't you Slick? If you're bothered about them not supporting Win 7 anymore, revert back then upgrade to 8....you can customise it to look and act like 7 but much faster.

I can send you a copy of 8 if you need it.
  10. slick

slick Administrator

I can get a copy of windows 7 from work Seen which I prefer, thanks for the offer mate.

my full screen (f11) button doesn't work now, in fact none of the fcuking function keys do, I'm trying to get a snippet which is just outside my viewing window and I've spent the last hr trying to snip the cnut without any success.
  11. slick

slick Administrator

Cunting load of bollocks is win 10

Having to use my phone

Bastard Windows 10 has updated itself, no way to stop it , been over an hr now and the cunts only at 35%
  12. slick

slick Administrator

Unfucking believable, over 2 hrs for one update and no way of stopping or delaying it, I could install the full operating system in a fraction of the time, Win 7 was never like this.

Windows 10 is the OS that will fcuk MS up, as soon as I get the time I'm switching to linux, none of this controlling, intrusive microsoft shite.
  13. Topdog

Topdog Moderator

Their updates take ages.

I tend to do it in stages
  14. Punter

Punter Moderator

My comp' screen keeps freezing and a message pops up saying 'ATI radeon family stopped responding'

Is there a fix or is my comp' fucked? I have to restart the bastard thing on average 12 times a night.
  15. slick

slick Administrator

That's your graphics card, try downloading a new driver from the Radeon site or do a system restore from a time when it was working properly.
  16. slick

slick Administrator

17. Punter

Punter Moderator

Cheers Slick. I posted this in the wrong thread as i'm still on windows 7. I'm sure they'll be a similar link for it though and i'll have a look later. Updates and System restore are no longer an option.
  18. slick

slick Administrator

Laptop packed up over the weekend so I bought the same type with a broken screen off ebay to make one good one out of the two.
    Turns out the broken one is a lot higher spec than mine so I've ended up with a pretty much top end lappy for 50 quid lol.

Going back to windows 10, if you got the free upgrade to 10 from windows 7 you cannot fcuking use it on another machine, even though I'm using the same hard disk in this frankenstein laptop I've now got , windows 10 won't activate because it thinks it's a new machine because the motherboards changed.

They want £199 to activate a new version the cheeky bastards.

All's not lost though if you find yourself in the same boat and don't mind doing a complete new install.
    Buy a legitimate windows 10 pro key off ebay for £1.79, they are completely legit taken off scrap machines.
    when they send you the key they also send you a link where to download windows 10 pro, add the key during installation and it works like a dream.

You can also do the same for any version of office, managed to get office 2016 pro for £2.69, completely legit copy and serial number, works like a dream.

so for less than a fiver I've saved about £500 in theory.
  19. Seen

Seen Moderator

I could do with a newer version of Office, I'm still using the 2007 version! Send me a link to the eBay seller please mate via PM :thumb
  20. slick

slick Administrator

Done although the cheeky buggers have now upped their price to £3.99
    Price must change according to demand so I won't post the link here lol.

I can confirm though it's a legit copy because you have to register with Microsoft before downloading the software.