1. Hi and welcome to Betnod. If you would like to view the forum without adverts then please register.

The Cheltenham Festival

Discussion in 'Horse Racing & Greyhound Tips' started by ONEDUNME, Feb 25, 2012.

1. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Thought I'd already started a thread on this but must have dreamt it.

Runs Tuesday 13th March to Friday the 16th culminating in Gold Cup day.

Bet365 are offering non runner no bet from today. Do make sure that you check that your bookie is offering it before you place your bet just in case your horse doesn't get to the festival or runs in a different race. Antepost betting is for clowns in my opinion but some people just like to feel smug holding a betting slip at 25/1 for something that starts the race at 10/1. Of course if the animal doesn't win, you get the same returns from a 25/1 as a 10/1:lol

Antepost backers will bore you with the price they got four years ago which ended up being double the price of the SP. They will also forget that they piss away hundreds of quid every year backing horses that either drift or don't run.

Anyway, it's your money - each to their own but feel free to share your thoughts and picks in here.
    We do tend to land a few decent priced winners in here and hopefully this year will be no exception.
  2. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Paddy Power are offering money back on your win bet if your horse comes second to Sprinter Sacre in the Arkle, but the best offer I've seen so far is Skybet's FIVE places in the Supreme Hurdle (NRNB)
  3. Yorkieacer

Yorkieacer BEST GAMBLER IN WORLD

If a horse has the name Yorkie or Hornets in it im backing it no matter if its come last every single race before
  4. ubique

ubique Member

A few of my fancies have multiple entries. I'll back them wherever they run. I'll get them out of the way first.
    Sir Des Champs
    Sivola De Sivola
    Citizenship
    Mount Benbulben

Tuesday
    1.30 Tetlami--Steps To Freedom
    2.05 Cue Card
    4.00 Balthazar King--Halley
    4.40 Quevega
    5.15 Triolo D'alene

Wednesday
    2.05 Simonsig
    3.20 Sizing Europe
    4.40 Vendor

Thursday
    2.40 Noble Prince--Medermit
    4.40 Faasel

Friday
    1.30 Saddlers Risk
    3.20 Long Run--The Giant Bolster
    4.00 Cloudy Lane
    5.15 De Boitron

Those in bold I will do in multiples.
    No specific strategy as far as staking goes.
    Have a good Festival chaps. :thumb
  5. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Good luck mate. I am on about five of those. I can't even remember why I backed De Boitron but I know it was something to do with something that the trainer said in an interview on ATR.

Donald McCain says that Cloudy Lane is his best bet at the festival
  6. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

Not that I'm supposed to say this but Letsbet have some good transcripts on the Festival preview nights, if you like that kind of thing......just make sure you come back here afterwards :unsure
  7. beamer

beamer Moderator

In the unusual position of having all bets paid for including the credit bets, which means I only need my beer money and the odd tenner to throw at the daft h/caps, x country races after my 6th pint. They can all go down the pan with no real concerns, unless a statement comes through the door in 14 days times with a trade I completely forgot about. Kept the ante post bets sensible, but boring, but don’t seem to have any non runners as yet. My bets this year seem to be revolving around many of the headline horses, so if Henderson bombs, so do I, which led me to looking at an insurance option. Henderson can be layed @ 1.82 to have more than 3 winners . It may be worth looking at although there are races were he could get the wrong winner in my case (i.e. Long Run) hitting the win and insurance bets.
    Last year I was taking on the Irish/French breds mainly in the place markets, which worked out well, so I will repeat that strategy mainly on the final two days. Samoan may have an idea, but there is no market yet on leading sire yet. King’s Theatre (officially Irish bred, but flat bred) is my only thought but I’d have no idea of price. He’s got no bankers and Cue card and Wishful Thinking would kill my bets in the Arkle.

Winning Distance 95-120 3 pts @ 6/4 (Skybet )
    95-125 2 pts @ TBC/2.6”ish” (Betfair)
    Unless someone can put up a case against this, it looks like a bit of a no brainer. I was actually looking to get a decent bet on less than 120 and got quoted 2/1 over the phone, so I quoted my bet and was offered 25% on my stake, FFS.

2011: 112.75 (27)
    2010: 94.7 (26)
    2009: 118.75. (26)
    2008: 113.0 (25)

27 races this year, no heavy ground unless we get the dreaded over watering in certain parts of the course. I’m probably missing something and I accept it’s a very small sample with only one meeting with 27 races but I do think the price is fair.

Supreme Novice 1.30 Darlan 3 pts win @ 12/1 (No trade off yet)
    From earlier post :
    d.

I’m a firm believer in the Betfair hurdle form, so with bets on the above, Zarkandar and GMOOH, it could be an expensive view.

Like years gone by, my knowledge of the Irish horse is zilch, but even with the watering in place, this ground will ride faster than what most of the overseas runners have encountered recently.
    Some will no doubt benefit from the better ground, but I’m going to just stick with the one bet. I did consider savers on Sous Les Cieux (34.00 and Felix Younger (45.0), but they look likely to run on Wednesday. I’m happy with my pick and just need to decide a trading out price.

The current lay price is 6.1 which is too high for me trade for a free bet for a profit of 20.4pts. I’m going to try and get out pre race at 5.0.

Date
    Track
    Winner
    Odds
    Trainer
    OR
    Jockey
    Going
    Distance
    Cheltenham
    Al Ferof (FR)
    10/1
    Nicholls, P F
    11-7
    Walsh, R
    Good
    2m½f
    Cheltenham
    Menorah (IRE)
    12/1
    Hobbs, P J
    11-7
    Johnson, Richard
    Good To Soft
    2m½f
    Cheltenham
    Go Native (IRE)
    12/1
    Meade, Noel
    11-7
    Carberry, P
    Good To Soft
    2m½f
    Cheltenham
    Captain Cee Bee (IRE)
    17/2
    Harty, Edward P
    11-7
    Thornton, Robert
    Good To Soft
    2m½f
    Cheltenham
    Ebaziyan (IRE)
    40/1
    Mullins, W P
    11-7
    Condon, D J
    Soft
    2m½f
    Cheltenham
    Noland
    6/1
    Nicholls, P F
    11-7
    Walsh, R
    Good To Soft
    2m½f
    Cheltenham
    Arcalis
    20/1
    Johnson, J Howard
    11-7
    Lee, G
    Good
    2m½f
    Cheltenham
    Brave Inca (IRE)
    7/2
    Murphy, C A
    11-7
    Cash, B M
    Good
    2m½f
    Cheltenham
    Back In Front (IRE)
    3/1
    OGrady, E J
    11-8
    Williamson, N
    Good
    2m½f
    Cheltenham
    Like-A-Butterfly (IRE)
    7/4
    Roche, C
    11-3
    Swan, C F
    Good To Soft
    2m½f
    Cheltenham
    Sausalito Bay
    14/1
    Meade, Noel
    11-8
    Carberry, P
    Good
    2m½f
    Cheltenham
    Hors La Loi Iii (FR)
    9/2
    Pipe, M C
    11-0
    McCoy, A P
    Good To Soft
    2m½f
    Cheltenham
    French Ballerina (IRE)
    10/1
    Flynn, Patrick J
    11-3
    Bradley, G
    Good To Soft
    2m½f
    Cheltenham
    Shadow Leader
    5/1
    Egerton, C R
    11-8
    Osborne, J
    Good
    2m½f

The Arkle 2.05 Sprinter Sacre 3 pts win @ average 5/2
    Al Ferof 1 pt win @ 6/1

My cautious approach means I did miss the decent prices on offer for these two. I was convinced for weeks that AF would be rerouted to the Champion at some stage, even though he’s done little wrong, but I strangely think thought he would have a stronger chance back over hurdles. Paddy Power seem to think SS will repeat last years failure to get up the hill. Problem with their offer is they are bottom price 9/4 against the exchange 7/2 on offer for Al Ferof.

Their prices for the rest of the field are in line and it’s a decent offer, if your horse does finish 2nd to SS.
    It’s a simple case of how much of a factor the final 2f will be between the top two in the market, barring mishaps. SS’s style of jumping means he will go down if he clouts one, whereas Al Ferof will stalk, if that’s possible.
    The relatively small field size should hopefully help SS’s cause with regard to pace burn out. He has been very impressive this season and looks a potential star.
    Al Ferof is another fav of mine, when winning last year’s Supreme. It’s worth remembering he traded as big as 70.0 In running in that race and I do think he will trade bigger in running if the main contenders are still in the field. A literal interpretation of last year’s Supreme was superior to Hurricane Fly’s Champion win, so emphasises what a race we have on.

It’s one of those markets were I couldn’t be on SS at the current price and I do think he will drift a touch on the day. Cue Card is a decent price on the ex’s @ 9/1, as he closely matched with AF, goes well at the track and has less miles on the clock than I perceived for the one time superstar.

Although Menorah has the beating of Cue Card on hurdles form, his chase form looks inferior.

Date
    Track
    Winner
    Odds
    Trainer
    OR
    Jockey
    Going
    Distance
    Cheltenham
    Captain Chris (IRE)
    6/1
    Hobbs, P J
    11-7
    Johnson, Richard
    Good
    2m
    Cheltenham
    Sizing Europe (IRE)
    6/1
    Bromhead, Henry De
    11-7
    Lynch, A E
    Good To Soft
    2m
    Cheltenham
    Forpadydeplasterer (IRE)
    8/1
    Cooper, Thomas
    11-7
    Geraghty, B J
    Good To Soft
    2m
    Cheltenham
    Tidal Bay (IRE)
    6/1
    Johnson, J Howard
    11-7
    ORegan, Denis
    Good To Soft
    2m
    Cheltenham
    My Way De Solzen (FR)
    7/2
    King, A
    11-7
    Thornton, Robert
    Soft
    2m
    Cheltenham
    Voy Por Ustedes (FR)
    15/2
    King, A
    11-2
    Thornton, Robert
    Good To Soft
    2m
    Cheltenham
    Contraband
    7/1
    Pipe, M C
    11-7
    Murphy, Timmy
    Good
    2m
    Cheltenham
    Well Chief (GER)
    9/1
    Pipe, M C
    11-3
    McCoy, A P
    Good
    2m
    Cheltenham
    Azertyuiop (FR)
    5/4
    Nicholls, P F
    11-8
    Walsh, R
    Good
    2m
    Cheltenham
    Moscow Flyer (IRE)
    11/2
    Harrington, Mrs John
    11-8
    Geraghty, B J
    Good To Soft
    2m
    Cheltenham
    Tiutchev
    8/1
    Henderson, N J
    11-8
    Fitzgerald, Mick
    Good
    2m
    Cheltenham
    Flagship Uberalles (IRE)
    11/1
    Nicholls, P F
    11-0
    Tizzard, Joe
    Good To Soft
    2m
    Cheltenham
    Champleve (FR)
    13/2
    Pipe, M C
    11-0
    McCoy, A P
    Good To Soft
    2m
    Cheltenham
    Or Royal (FR)
    11/2
    Pipe, M C
    11-8
    McCoy, A P
    Good
    2m

Festival Handicap 2.40. Divers @ 33/1 NRNB.
    Clueless to what will run, so will check what is posted up here on the day for inspiration. If my pick is a n/r , I will have a look at the William’s/ Murphy entries, for small bets.

Champion Hurdle 3.20 Binocular 3 pts win @ 8/1
    Zarkandar 2 pts win @ ave 9/1
    Hurricane Fly trade. 3pts In @ 2.82, out @ 1.85 ( Potential profit 2.8 pts)

Current champion HF is a horse I really want to take on. Won 7 on the bounce, generally with ease, but nothing tells me this should be an odds on shot.
    I accept that he may improve if he does not pull like he did in last years race, but looking back at that race, it looks dire. Peddlars Cross appears over rated on OR figures and looks a stayer. I can’t find much to say about the rest. I mentioned earlier about Al Ferof’s performance, earlier that day being superior, accepting it was run at a better pace.

His Irish form is riddled with wins over Solwhit, who was trounced by Binocular by 16lths ( excuses given).

Binocular’s CH win also looks weak with the passing of time but he has put in a series of sound runs and looks to be a better performer in decent field sizes. Significantly he seems the back to his form of his 2010 win.

Mentioned Zarkandar several times, so will keep it brief but i still think he’s capable of finding a stones improvement. Was going to be my only bet in the race but the more I looked at Binocular, who was a regular lay for me in small fields ( Fighting Fith), the more I realised he was a great price.
    Overturn looks a possible trading horse at big odds on the ex’s. I could never understand why he never gave the horse a break last winter, when McCain kept saying he was going to have a well earned break, only to go pot hunting.
    He has actually been given a rest, which I always think is a benefit for these front runners. Although well held on form, he might try and get these stretched enough, running fresh and make the layers squeal.

Date
    Track
    Winner
    Odds
    Trainer
    OR
    Jockey
    Going
    Distance
    Cheltenham
    Hurricane Fly (IRE)
    11/4
    Mullins, W P
    11-10
    Walsh, R
    Good
    2m½f
    Cheltenham
    Binocular (FR)
    9/1
    Henderson, N J
    11-10
    McCoy, A P
    Good To Soft
    2m½f
    Cheltenham
    Punjabi
    22/1
    Henderson, N J
    11-10
    Geraghty, B J
    Good To Soft
    2m½f
    Cheltenham
    Katchit (IRE)
    10/1
    King, A
    11-10
    Thornton, Robert
    Good To Soft
    2m½f
    Cheltenham
    Sublimity (FR)
    16/1
    Carr, John G
    11-10
    Carberry, P A
    Soft
    2m½f
    Cheltenham
    Brave Inca (IRE)
    7/4
    Murphy, C A
    11-10
    McCoy, A P
    Good To Soft
    2m½f
    Cheltenham
    Hardy Eustace (IRE)
    7/2
    Hughes, D T
    11-10
    ODwyer, C
    Good
    2m½f
    Cheltenham
    Hardy Eustace (IRE)
    33/1
    Hughes, D T
    11-10
    ODwyer, C
    Good
    2m½f
    Cheltenham
    Rooster Booster
    9/2
    Hobbs, P J
    12-0
    Johnson, Richard
    Good
    2m½f
    Cheltenham
    Hors La Loi Iii (FR)
    10/1
    Fanshawe, J R
    12-0
    Gallagher, D
    Good To Soft
    2m½f
    Cheltenham
    Istabraq (IRE)
    8/15
    OBrien, A P
    12-0
    Swan, C F
    Good
    2m½f
    Cheltenham
    Istabraq (IRE)
    4/9
    OBrien, A P
    12-0
    Swan, C F
    Good To Soft
    2m½f
    Cheltenham
    Istabraq (IRE)
    3/1
    OBrien, A P
    12-0
    Swan, C F
    Good To Soft
    2m½f
    Cheltenham
    Make A Stand
    7/1
    Pipe, M C
    12-0
    McCoy, A P
    Good
    2m½f

Cross Country Chase 4.00. No bets ( Get the ale in)

Mares Hurdle 4.40 No bets ( Get the ale in)

5.15 2.5 mile Handicap Chase.
    Hunt Ball .5 pt win @8/1NRNB
    Carrickhillboy .5pt win @ 14/1 NRNB.

Another race were they may run elsewhere, but lazy picks to give me an interest, if still awake, as I will need a kip to watch the Liverpool/ Everton game.

Good luck.
  8. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

I'm there tomorrow and here are my donations. I've picked two in most races. I did say I was going to concentrate on the win bet and fuck the ew off but I didn't have the discipline. I'll also mention my what I would be backing if the slate was clean and I was betting tonight. These can be considered as my suggestions for tipping purposes as it's no good advising anyone to back something at a price that is no longer available

130 Darlan 9/2 and 5/1 at the moment. I can see it drfiting out in the morning as punters start to open their wallets and back others. I'm on ew at 12/1 and then went back to back it again just to win at 6/1. I'm comfortable with this one and I've also had an ew bet on Midnight Game at 10/1 (now 14/1)

If I was placing bets tonight I would still take Darlan to win at the 5/1 and also Trifolium ew which is 14/1 with four or five bookies.

205 More after eventing, I'm on Al Ferof and 9/2 before Peddlers Cross was diverted to another race and I have small stakes on Sprinter Sacre by way of a bit of a saver.

If I was betting tonight, I would have to go for the without the favourite market and go for Menorah ew at 9/2 (2 places) which means you would only have to beat Al Ferof OR Cue Card for a mini profit and a decent return if you beat them both.

240 I'm on Quantitativeeasing ew at 10/1 (now 13/2 ish) and Our Mick at 14/1. Our Mick is the one I'm sweet on and I would be backing that tonight ew if I didn't have a bet on already. You have the choice of taking the 10/1 or betting with Betfred and getting paid out on fifth place at 8/1. I think I'd take the 10s, given that there's an 18/1 chance of you actually finishing fifth. I'd also be backing Quantitativeeasing as a win bet.

In short, I'm happy with both of my selections.

330 I'm on Binocular ew at 5/1. If I was backing tonight I would back Binocular ew at 5/1 / 9/2. Never seen him looking so well going into Cheltenham. Big task to beat Hurricane Fly (massive task in fact) and my fear is that it may go toe to toe with the fly at the last and that the effort may cost him even a place. If the Fly is still in the race and Binocular is thereabouts after the second last I'll maybe see if I can get a 6/4 lay matched.

Cowardly I know.

400 Cross Country Race. I'm on Sizing Australia and (for sentimental reasons) Garde Champetre. If I was betting tonight I think I'd ditch Sizing Australia (although it's still solid in the market) and have a decent bet on A NEW STORY which finished fourth or fifth a couple of years ago in this race i remember and 18/1 is a stupid price unless there's something about it that I don't know (quite possible). There is also money for Fortification at 25/1 (best price 33/1) which might be worth a tickle.

440 Of the bankers, this is the one that I have been saying is the banker of the lot. Any of the others could get beaten in my view but not this one. Only on at 8/11 for a bit but I expect it to be returned to me with interest. For those sick of my after-eventing you will be pleased to know that I backed Violin Davis and Our Girl Sally at 8/1 both ew.

Betting tonight, the fav is too short. I'd be happy with Our Girl Sally ew at 6/1 without the fav (which sounds obvious as I only have 8/1 WITH the fav). Shop DJ 16/1 FOUR PLACES WITH BET365 would be my other suggestion.

515 I only backed this one the other day so I'm happy to be sticking with it, Carrickboy, currently 12/1. I know people have a tendency to chase on the last if they are down and it's frowned upon but I will be happy to double my stakes on this one if I happen to be down tomorrow. My other bet is Mic's Delight at 14/1 which I've also backed in a race later in the week but yet to see whether it takes its chance in both.

Edit - I need to add that Violin Davis and Our Girl Salley are now 20/1 and 16/1 or my sentence above doesn't make any sense.

Biggest bets of Tuesday, Darlan and Our Mick. Early one for Wednesday, New Years Eve 7/1 in the champion bumper will be my biggest bet of that day.
  9. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Also, two outside bets for top jockey and top trainer, Davey Russell and Alan King 20/1 and 14/1
  10. Gavster

Gavster Novelty & Proud

Skybet are offering 5 places for the 1:30 tomorrow
  11. Gavster

Gavster Novelty & Proud

My bets for tomorrow:

1:30 - Trifolium (to 5 places) and Steps to Freedom.

15:20 - Binocular & Zarkandar

17:15 - Carrick Boy (to 4 places)
  12. traeth

traeth Moderator

thanks for the info lads , I'm having an interest lucky 15 , here are my bets

1:30 - Trifolium
    4:00 - Sizing Australia
    4:40 - Kells Belle
    5:15 - Triolo D'Alene
  13. ubique

ubique Member

I'll be posting all my Cheltenham H/cap overlays of 30% or more. I'll only be backing the top 2 per race on b/f though.

Bottman 51
    Billie Magern 47
    Noland 39
    Mossley 36
    Fruity O'Rooney 35

Gone To Lunch 61
    Midnight Haze 58
    Fortification 53

That'll Do 45
    Vino Giego 30
    (Mic's Delight 29)

Have a good day tomorrow everyone. :thumb
  14. winrew

winrew GILF

Goes without saying but i will anyway , have a good day ODM , and good luck to you all ...

Galileos Choice @ 8/1 and Allure of Illusion @33/1 in the first , both E/W.
    Cue Card @ 15/2 in the second , also E/W.
    Fruity Orooney @ 14/1 E/W

A few more tomorrow ....
  15. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Up early and in a rush to get away. Don't have time to check if Kegman (King of the Cheltenham tipsters) or Swoops have posted theirs in here but here they are...
    Keggers
    Here are my donks for tomorrow.

1:30 Midnight Game
    2:05 al ferof
    2:40 Noland
    3:20 Binocular / Hurricane Fly
    4:00 Garde Champetre
    4:40 Kells Belle
    5:15 Hunt Ball / Bless the wings / Triolo D'alane

stuck my ladbrokes free fiver on Midnight game @ 12/1

Like a few others, off all week & going wednesday. Not a great one for researching horse bets & after seeing Beamers post above I can see it staying that way [​IMG]
    I am a great believer in all things RFO so I've complied shortlists for the first 3 days which I will double check again tomorrow with the RFO & the RP as all though I'm quite happy so far, I like other people to prove me happy [​IMG]
    Looking at a perm each day with some bigger individual bets & then anything could happen at the course on the wednesday. Tuesday & wednesday by far the better racing in my eyes, thursdays a rip off & fridays just a stupid day to go. Ive been the GC, & never will again.

Tuesday
    1:30 - looking @ Prospect Wells or Trifolium, strongly edging towards Trifolium as Davy Russell has chosen to ride it.

2:05 - All seems set up for Sprinter Sacre, but only 1 favourite has won this in the last 10. Might be tempted by PPs offer of money back if SS wins, favouring Cue Card, but no one else seems to [​IMG]

2:40 - whiitled it down to Our Mick, Tullamore Dew, Fruity O'Rooney & Billy Mageen. Depending on the morning but am looking at going BM although I cant remember why now [​IMG]

3:20 - not taking Fly, not now, not never. Binocular to me looks a massive price & I'm having that all day long. Also I've read everything I can find & cant decide why Celestial Halo is so big. Obviously I'm missing something but I'm having it e/w as I will Binocular. reading the Cheltenham Evenings notes on Letsbet they really like the look of Oscars Well

4:00 - between Fortification & Garde Champetre, maybe a little of both.

4:40 - will likely take Quevega with something else but thinking of having small e/w bets on Cloudy Spirit, Kelles Belle & Violin Davis

5:15 - Hunt Ball I'd think with maybe a little each way action on Quincy des Pictons & Carrickboy
  16. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Administrator

Looks like a few of us are on the same horses in many of the races so lets hope they are the ones that are doing the winning.

Good luck all:thumb
  17. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

Before anyone follows the nags at the bottom of ODMs post above, be warned theyre mine :unsure
  18. swooperman

swooperman Resident nob

1:30 - trifolium, Distant memories & montbazon

2:05 - cue card but with sprinter in the same treble & the world & his mate is doing

2:40 - Tullamore Dew & Billy Mageer

3:20 - Binocular & Celestial Halo but with Fly in the treble

4:00 - Fortification, balthazar & Dancing tornado

4:40 - Quevaga in the treble, Shop DJ & Cloudy Spirit

5:15 - Trio d'alene, Hunts Ball, Carrickboy & possibly Quincy des Pictons
  19. Pete89

Pete89 Active Member

Just back in so if you'll excuse the after timing on the first.

Had Tridolium e/w at 10/1 with Betfred in the first and Cue Card at 7/1 with Paddy power so got the stake back on that one.

In the next I'm on The Package at 5/1 and Fruity O'rooney at 16/1 as an e/w shot

In the Big race it's all about Binocular for me at 9/2

In the 4.00 I've gone for Midnigh haze at 25/1 and Maljimar at 12/1, both e/w

4.40 Kentford Grey Lady at 14/1 and Swincombe Flame at 12/1, both e/w

and It's an e/w on Carrickboy at 10/1 in the last

all BOG and in the placepot too
  20. ubique

ubique Member

Got 3.2 for Rock On Ruby to place. I also have everything crossed :)